Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blackquartz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 22, 2009
Hi, when you say to download the 6900 XT ROM, is the attached picture the correct one to download (the "Reference" one, not the "Toxic" one)?

Also, should I download the 6950 XT ROM Reference Design only in the situation where I want to flash back to the original factory?

Hello, I used specifically the 6900 AMD reference rom, version 020.001.000.043.015929 which is the latest available.

And yes, you should have a copy of the original 6950 bios, GPU Z even allows you to make a back up of the original bios of the card before flashing. So if you want to go back for whatever reason you should be able too.

blackquartz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 22, 2009
@blackquartz With the 6900XT ROM flashed in your 6950 -- does it still use 335W or does it go back down to 6900xt voltage -- 300W?
Uses 300w as it behaves as a reference 6900xt. There was some talk on this thread as to load the power kext table for the drivers but I don't think its possible since Open core wont support the 7,1 just yet.

• Love
Reactions: prefuse07

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
but I don't think its possible since Open core wont support the 7,1 just yet.
This is not correct. OC supports MacPro7,1.

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
Windows 10 Pro was no good (would not recognize the card) so upgraded to W11 Pro. Windows 11 works like a charm, eGPU detected, drivers installed, all good.

However, atiflash does not not see the card (although GPU-Z does), amdvbflash -i does not give any info (possibly a T2 thunderbolt issue) and when I tried to flash it via GPU-Z identified device id I received GPU not supported error.
I flashed through egpu on MBP15,1(T2 chip), but the only thing I had to do in Bootcamp(Win11)is uninstall the drivers with DDU, properly reinstall the drivers and everything worked afterwards. Of course, for atiflash to even detect anything you have to install the drivers coming with the program first.
Code:
AMDVBFlashDriverInstaller.exe
AMDVBFlash Driver Installer & Uninstaller by W1zzard @ TechPowerUp
https://www.techpowerup.com/download/ati-atiflash/

Usage: AMDVBFlashDriverInstaller.exe [OPTIONS]

Options:
-h, --help                   Print this help message and exit
-i, --install                Installs the AMDVBFlash Driver on this system
-u, --uninstall              Removes the AMDVBFlash Driver from this system

When called without arguments, this program will prompt whether to install or uninstall the driver

*********** Interactive mode started ***********

[I]   Install the AMDVBFlash Driver
[U]   Uninstall the AMDVBFlash Driver
[Q]   Exit this program without any action

amdvbflash.exe -i
AMD IFWI Flasher Tool Version 5.0.567.0-External. Copyright© 2020-2022 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved.

Detecting AMD GPU/APU. Please wait...
SNo BDF           DID ASIC      SPIROM          Size Test BIOS P/N
___ ____________ ____ _________ ___________ ________ ____ _________________
  0 0000:01:00.0 67ef Baffin [Radeon RX 460/560D / Pro 450/455/460/555/555X/560/560X] NA          0xFFFFFF Fail Unknown
  1 0000:0c:00.0 73a3 Navi21    GD25Q80C    0x100000 Pass 113-D4300100-100

blackquartz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 22, 2009
Okay, just to document the experience, the 6950xt is a hot little pancake. I runs about 10c hotter than the 6900xt under the same load.

Looking around this situation over forums and the web it seems like its the norm for the card to runs this hot.

Nothing an adjusted fan curve cant fix.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-26 at 16.28.16.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-26 at 16.28.16.png
    48.6 KB · Views: 77

danielcharluck

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2022
Hello everyone, I hope you are all doing great

I'm trying to get a 6950xt running on MacOS on my Mac Pro 7,1 as 6900xt. For a couple of days Ive seen all this guides and videos but they are meant for hackintosh, I'm not sure Im doing it right for a legit Mac. Any help or reference is welcome.

Thanks a bunch

---- Update: Okay, I did it!

So to anyone maverick enough to try to achieve this, its pretty simple

Its easy to flash the card using windows and bootcamp

Heres the guide

1. Download the AMD GPU flash application
https://www.techpowerup.com/download/ati-atiflash/

2. Download GPU Z and make a back up of the original 6950XT ROM
https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-gpu-z/

3. Download the 6900XT ROM
https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios...r=&model=&interface=&memType=&memSize=&since=

4. Use this guide to the letter to flash the firmware
https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/...nd-line-cmd-syntax-mini-guide-windows.291671/

Please consider this is an intrusive procedure, theres a risk of bricking the card if you don't understand what you are doing, but you should be fine If I was able to do it.

View attachment 2233177

Oh my god, there it is.. the thread I have been waiting for. I tried in the summer getting my 6950 XT to work in my Mac Pro 2019, however with no luck. Now I have gathered courage to try once again, now that I see your thread. I am by no means capable of doing it, so if there is a gentle soul who would be able to do it remotely for me, I would much appreciate it. @startergo has been helping me out before, thank you very much :) !

I look forward to hearing from you guys!

blackquartz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 22, 2009
Oh my god, there it is.. the thread I have been waiting for. I tried in the summer getting my 6950 XT to work in my Mac Pro 2019, however with no luck. Now I have gathered courage to try once again, now that I see your thread. I am by no means capable of doing it, so if there is a gentle soul who would be able to do it remotely for me, I would much appreciate it. @startergo has been helping me out before, thank you very much :) !

I look forward to hearing from you guys!

Hi, In my case I find pretty hard to do things remotely and it's an entry level procedure. Trust me , it was the first time I flashed any pci Device and it was more fear holding me back.

I can still help with any questions you've got, Im sure you can do this.

Cheers

Zhi

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2020
China
I get what you mean, I read your comment just as I was picking up my W6800x duo.

The Mac Pro 7,1 is a very expensive but well built computer, its a shame that as Apples best customers we always get the worst treatment. They decided they don't want our money anymore and Ive come to make peace with that. when the time comes I will move on.

But for now, this build looks like will be valid for a couple of years from now, with the option to keep expanding drives, ram and other components. And after that it could double as a Windows and nvidia machine. Its just opportunities from now on for the amazing 7,1. The last Mac Pro for many of us.

View attachment 2237296 View attachment 2237437

Is w6800x duo the default configuration? Or was it added later?

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
There is a new Lilu plug-in for unsupported RDNA 2 desktop dGPUs. Conflicts with WhateverGreen and NootedRed.

This is the driver extension as Lilu PlugIn. Like mine, this kext is used without DeviceProperties and GFX0 Bridge. Ideally, you should use an iMacPro1.1 with Lilu.kext and without WhatEverGreen.kext - and therefore also without agdpmod=pikera. Everything will then work on the graphics side.
If you are dependent on QuickSync (for Sidecar, for example) and an iMac is preferred as SMBIOS, WhatEverGreen for the IGPU (with agdpmod=pikera) must be loaded after NootRX in the config, otherwise there will be a KernelPanic. Everything works as it should.

tYNS

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2001
I am curios about an earlier post regarding RED BIOS Editor. If I were to download the bios of the 6950 XT card then edit the bios to change the ID to a 6900 XT card and reflash it with this new ID, would this be dangerous? Would keeping all the bios profiles and power profiles of the 6950 xt in place so the card runs at 6950 speeds but identifies as a 6900 xt be safe? I would be nice to have the benefit of the 6950 xt without downgrading it to a 6900 xt bios and lower clock speeds.

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
If I were to download the bios of the 6950 XT card then edit the bios to change the ID to a 6900 XT card and reflash it with this new ID, would this be dangerous?
To the point that if the video card does not boot you will have to reflash the vbios chip with a programmer. You might need to desolder/resolder the chip.

tYNS

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2001
To the point that if the video card does not boot you will have to reflash the vbios chip with a programmer. You might need to desolder/resolder the chip.
sorry.. so, this will not work? Or, try it and find out? Just worried about doing physical damage to the card

blackquartz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 22, 2009
sorry.. so, this will not work? Or, try it and find out? Just worried about doing physical damage to the card
I am curios about an earlier post regarding RED BIOS Editor. If I were to download the bios of the 6950 XT card then edit the bios to change the ID to a 6900 XT card and reflash it with this new ID, would this be dangerous? Would keeping all the bios profiles and power profiles of the 6950 xt in place so the card runs at 6950 speeds but identifies as a 6900 xt be safe? I would be nice to have the benefit of the 6950 xt without downgrading it to a 6900 xt bios and lower clock speeds.
In theory it should be safe. Just to confirm the same card 6950xt runs like 10c hotter than its official 6900xt partner using its rom version. under the same load. So hardware wise they still are a bit different.

The question for you is if it would be worth the risk to push your card like that, While it is interesting I don think theres that much difference in the compute power between the 6900xt and the 6950xt. It would be around single digit performance gains.

Darren.h

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2023
I am going to try this on a dual boot win 11 - Sonoma hackintosh.

using a i9 13900k with 128 GB of ram.

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
I am almost certain it will not boot if you change the p/n. There is a lot more to that and it is not as simple as you think. If you flash the 6900XT unmodified vbios it should work.

tYNS

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2001
In theory it should be safe. Just to confirm the same card 6950xt runs like 10c hotter than its official 6900xt partner using its rom version. under the same load. So hardware wise they still are a bit different.

The question for you is if it would be worth the risk to push your card like that, While it is interesting I don think theres that much difference in the compute power between the 6900xt and the 6950xt. It would be around single digit performance gains.
It is more just for compatibility with the OS .. If the card is a 6950XT and you are spoofing it to a 6900XT (just the product ID) while keeping all the power tables of the 6950XT intact, the card will still be running for what it is designed for... I don' t think it is stressing the card in any way.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
It is more just for compatibility with the OS .. If the card is a 6950XT and you are spoofing it to a 6900XT (just the product ID) while keeping all the power tables of the 6950XT intact, the card will still be running for what it is designed for... I don' t think it is stressing the card in any way.

Bad idea from the start. Modern GPU firmwares are cryptographically signed for years already, any modification and the GPU firmware is rejected by the Mac Pro firmware.

Even if you successfully edit it everywhere correctly, you will never have the pre-boot configuration support with this GPU.

Last edited:
Reactions: tYNS and startergo

tYNS

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2001
Bad idea from the start. Modern GPU firmwares are cryptographically signed for years already, any modification and the GPU firmware is rejected by the Mac Pro firmware.

Even if you successfully edit it everywhere correctly, you will never have the pre-boot configuration support with this GPU.
Good Call, totally forgot about that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.