Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vniow

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
AMD on Monday unveiled its largest advertising effort to date, a new print and online campaign with the tag line, "AMD Me." Over the weekend, Intel launched new television ads that abandon its space alien characters for more down-to-earth folk, such as people using wireless networks, according to published reports.

Now why do Mac users care about what happens at AMD? Because the rumored IBM Power4mini-me will be 64-bit. The more attention that 64-bit processors get, the more software developers will want to write programs for it. AMD's going to market the hell out of this chip according to this article, and the more 64-bit ads, the better.:)

click me

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
Re: AMD ads to play up 64-bit chips

Originally posted by edvniow

Now why do Mac users care about what happens at AMD? Because the rumored IBM Power4mini-me will be 64-bit. The more attention that 64-bit processors get, the more software developers will want to write programs for it. AMD's going to market the hell out of this chip according to this article, and the more 64-bit ads, the better.:)

click me

this assumes that the power4 mini-me chip (nice way of putting it) is goign to make its way to macs, or that any 64 bit chip is anywhere on the horizon for the mac. There is very little substantial evidence pointing as to what chip will be the next one to be used. its all speculation.

Reactions: obeygiant

vniow

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
Re: Re: AMD ads to play up 64-bit chips

Originally posted by strider42

this assumes that the power4 mini-me chip (nice way of putting it) is goign to make its way to macs, or that any 64 bit chip is anywhere on the horizon for the mac. There is very little substantial evidence pointing as to what chip will be the next one to be used. its all speculation.

True, but it's not entirely unlikely that the next Powermac revision will get a 64-bit chip from IBM, Moto, AMD or whatever. 64-bit is the next step in personal computing, and software developers (IBM for sure ) are probably writing software for it already. The more attention it gets, the more software will be witten for it. AMD is going to release this chip early next year and you can bet that other processor manufactures will follow suit.:)

Pepzhez

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2002
I sure wish Linux was more up to snuff (I use it for some things which it works very well at, but for an all-purpose OS, it has a long way to go), because I'd love to have a 64-bit processor, refuse to use Windows, and I just can't see any sort of 64-bit chip getting into any Mac any time soon.

Well, I'm getting by with my current Macs, and I'm not about to fork out money for a new machine until and unless it is 64-bit. But I suppose it's just as well. I don't really have the money to splurge right now, and I can rely on Apple not giving me any reason to do so in the near and nearly distant future.

BongHits

macrumors regular
May 2, 2002
chicago
Re: Re: Re: AMD ads to play up 64-bit chips

Originally posted by edvniow

True, but it's not entirely unlikely that the next Powermac revision will get a 64-bit chip from IBM, Moto, AMD or whatever. 64-bit is the next step in personal computing, and software developers (IBM for sure ) are probably writing software for it already. The more attention it gets, the more software will be witten for it. AMD is going to release this chip early next year and you can bet that other processor manufactures will follow suit.:)
i bet at the earliest we see 64 bit at mwsf (due to the cancellation of os 9 on future comp) but knowing apple a 64 bit processor will be out in 2005...at MWNY
:eek:

well ill be ready to buy one by then :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.