Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shadowfax0

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 2, 2002
...what are these going to mean to companies like SGI and Sun? The only real reason they cost so much is because they are the only ones that sell 64-bit chips. I guess my real question is, are the desktop models going to be, well, consumer-power (consumer on a RELATIVE scale here, what's hi-end for us is nothing at SGI or Sun) 64-bit? Or are these new Processors going to be just as powerful?

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
Sun's going to stay for at least a bit while longer is they get their asses out of this rut they're in, but I'm not so sure about SGI. There was a rumor awhile ago about Apple buying SGI or something and it still might not be a bad idea. They make good reputable products, but Apple's computers are closing in on them. If they were to buy them outright or just a stake, it would be a win-win situation I think. SGI's already run Unix so a version of OSX (not the same one for Apple computers, but a special version made just for SGIs) could be created just for them. Options are good. If Apple were to completely dominate the creative industry, innovation would stagnate like Windows on the PC. It's still a good idea, but I don't see them doing it anytime soon.

Telomar

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2002
You are making the mistake of thinking all these companies offer is a 64-bit chip. There is a lot more to it that that.

shadowfax0

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 2, 2002
I think he means me, but I kind of see what you're getting at. Let me rephrase then: How will these new 64-bit chips stack up against the chips of lore (the Sun and SGI ones)? I know there are alot of differences between a $43,000 SGI workstation and a $5000 decked out G4 workstation that go beyond the 64-bit processors. What I'm saying is will these new desktop prcessors be as powerful, or will they be not-as-powerful-yet-64-bit? God I think I made it more confusing :rolleyes: but I hope you get the idea :D

Cappy

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2002
The real question on SGI is do they *really* offer enough to be attractive to Apple as a purchase. I can see them pushing SGI out of their own market but buying them, I don't know.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Originally posted by Cappy
The real question on SGI is do they *really* offer enough to be attractive to Apple as a purchase. I can see them pushing SGI out of their own market but buying them, I don't know.

I tend to agree with you..... Apple is going after the hi-end creative market, and I personally cannot see Apple buying out SGI, they'll just set about making the markey there own......

What worries me is what would happen if Apple did produce a hi-end workstation that cost similar to Sun's and SGI's finest???I'm sure some would winj that it is too expensive etc etc..... that no one would buy it because it's so expensive, and they need to make it and sell it for $1600 cos they could make a dual AMD, with everything for that.... etc etc......

Personally I think Apple should produce an utra hi-end workstation, that costs thousands, but is basically the best out of the box pro creative solution you can buy...... that'd grab some headlines, and probably a far old whack of SGI's current new business........

RogueLdr

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
People's Republic of Ann Arbor
Originally posted by iGAV
Personally I think Apple should produce an utra hi-end workstation, that costs thousands, but is basically the best out of the box pro creative solution you can buy...

Isn't that what they do for their high-end now?:)

There is validity to the fact that a 64bit processor does not a Sun or SGI make. However, there are many companies (my employer inluded) that would leap at the chance to get a Unix based 64bit server system that didn't cost $26,000 to upgrade RAM. Heck, we would be willing to get more processors (read: several Xserves) to cut out the Sun price-gouging, so long as there were software solutions for our needs available in OS X Server.

The real issue would seem to be whether or not Apple can intice specialized software devopers that traditionally coded only for Sun &/or SGI to delve into Cocoa. If this can be accomplished, not only will Apple prosper, but so will former Sun/SGI customers. To those that don't know, Apple's hardware may be pricey for the average consumer, but it is dirt cheap for the average IT department.

RL

Telomar

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2002
The processors that Sun and SGI use really aren't that computationally powerful. Even the POWER4 isn't that great although it is the most powerful option out there.

The advantage in spending the extra cash comes from other features. So to answer will the chip be computationally as powerful? Yes definitely. At least to Sun and SGI's offerings. Will it be neutered in other ways though? Yes.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Originally posted by RogueLdr

Isn't that what they do for their high-end now?:)

:p :p :p well not that far off......

The real issue would seem to be whether or not Apple can intice specialized software devopers that traditionally coded only for Sun &/or SGI to delve into Cocoa. If this can be accomplished, not only will Apple prosper, but so will former Sun/SGI customers. To those that don't know, Apple's hardware may be pricey for the average consumer, but it is dirt cheap for the average IT department.

Personally I believe that if Apple were to develop such a high-end workstation that was OSX based, I'd expect many developers of high-end software to get in on the act...... with Apple buying out the high-end post app's recently if they can make the hardware for these to truely shine, then I think that Apple will become the platform of choice for the majority of high-end creative work.......

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.