Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

irishgrizzly

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2006
Good news! Does anyone know much much of a leap up from the X1900 this would be? I've heard it's going to be really expensive.

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
We can now reveal to you that the board you have been seeing around the web is actually a specific design which has only one customer right now. The name of that customer is Apple and it will also be available in Crossfire mode.

Oh my god. SLI here I come :).

FleurDuMal

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
London Town
Very good news if true. Unfortunately I don't know how reliable this really is. It just sounds like someones deduced that Apple will ship this card simply because there have been pictures of the card in a strange form-factor.

I only skimmed the article, but that was the impression I got. Maybe I'm just the eternal pessimist, but Apple don't exactly have a history of putting bleeding-edge gfx in their machines (even the 1900XT in the Mac Pro wasn't top range by the time it was released).

Macinposh

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2006
Kreplakistan
Y.E.S.!

But yeah, I share the same sceptism with mini..

Few "weirdeses" in the post.

One is the crossfire, how well would,say,Macpro´s,the only Apple computer able to take it in, mobo/pci adjust to that?

Would it work in 2 x 8 channel mode? Would that be particulary effective?

Another is the power issue.

So, the R600XTX has a special OEM/SI design mostly for Apple, the retail versions won't come with water cooling, but rather advanced vapour chamber technology, and the board has 8/6-pin config but can be used with two 6-pin ones - in which case you'll lose the Overdrive feature and stay inside a 225W power envelope, just like Nvidia Geforce 8800GTS.

Wasnt there some first "estimates" that the OEM version would be 270W and the retail would be 240W? What´s that 225W thingy?

But otherwise,Im starting to get all giddy...

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Very good news if true. Unfortunately I don't know how reliable this really is. It just sounds like someones deduced that Apple will ship this card simply because there have been pictures of the card in a strange form-factor.

I only skimmed the article, but that was the impression I got. Maybe I'm just the eternal pessimist, but Apple don't exactly have a history of putting bleeding-edge gfx in their machines (even the 1900XT in the Mac Pro wasn't top range by the time it was released).

I agree. The article generally came off as being based on speculation and personal opinion. The apple bit he did state with more authority... but I'm still skeptical.

TBi

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2005
Ireland
I agree. The article generally came off as being based on speculation and personal opinion. The apple bit he did state with more authority... but I'm still skeptical.

Why worry about it. It will either come out or it won't come out.

marcosc

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2006
It's pretty sad to see many people get all worked up about this.

The fact is that Apple is not known for introducing high-end video cards (let alone in CrossFire mode) to even their highest end machines.

Also, given the fact that these video cards are _very_ power hungry, and Apple is known to trying to keep their machines cool and quiet, I'll have to call this one as a very doubtful rumor, at best.

I, for one, will not get my hopes up. If it comes, great. But if I don't expect anything, I won't be disappointed.

-MC

Tangerine

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2007
Wow! Imagine putting this in the Mac Pro. It would scream like a beast! I think this will be a very expensive graphic card though. Knowing the NVidia 8800GTS is in $600 - $700 range this graphic card will cost over 1K. It estimate the R600 require atleast 225Watt - 300Watt power. I thought the Mac Pro only have 300Watt? Wouldn't this be a problem? I stick with my ATI X1900XT though. Plenty fast enough for me. Just wish Apple would release a quieter version of the fan. Shame on Apple try to under clock the ATI X1900XT trying to hide it loudness, but now result in underclock and loud Graphic Card! :(

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
I thought the Mac Pro only have 300Watt? Wouldn't this be a problem?

Well the mac pro as a 12 amp power supply at 120 volts. 1440 watts. The question is how much the motherboard will supply to the PCI-E slots. The power supply can handle it fine though.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Well the mac pro as a 12 amp power supply at 120 volts. 1440 watts. The question is how much the motherboard will supply to the PCI-E slots. The power supply can handle it fine though.

dang, 1440 watts!:eek: i knew it was alot, but i didn't realize it was that much! (glad i don't get charged by how much power i use here at my dorm :cool: )

i'm like most others, i hope it does come, but i'm not holding my breath or anything

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
dang, 1440 watts!:eek: i knew it was alot, but i didn't realize it was that much! (glad i don't get charged by how much power i use here at my dorm :cool: )

i'm like most others, i hope it does come, but i'm not holding my breath or anything

Well of coarse it doesn't use all that power. That is just what it can handle.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Why worry about it. It will either come out or it won't come out.

what a silly, silly comment. You could say that about every rumor ever posted on this site. I think most of us are in threads such as this because it's interesting to speculate.

TBi

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2005
Ireland
what a silly, silly comment. You could say that about every rumor ever posted on this site. I think most of us are in threads such as this because it's interesting to speculate.

Sorry, but i like to live my silly, silly life in the real world and not worry about such trivial things :)

(BTW this is just a light hearted quip, please don't take it too personally)

Tangerine

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2007

What? So the Mac Pro have a power supply of 1440 Watts? :confused: So the NVidia 8800GTS which required a lot of Power Watt work fine? I thought there user saying they run into problem with not enought Watt power. Is the 1k watt power even possible on a Mac Pro? I heard it within the 300 Watt range. Only computer rig I see have a Power Supply up to 1K is the Alienware and it run quite expensive.

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England
What? So the Mac Pro have a power supply of 1440 Watts? :confused: So the NVidia 8800GTS which required a lot of Power Watt work fine? I thought there user saying they run into problem with not enought Watt power. Is the 1k watt power even possible on a Mac Pro? I heard it within the 300 Watt range. Only computer rig I see have a Power Supply up to 1K is the Alienware and it run quite expensive.

I'm pretty sure the Mac Pro has a 1Kw PSU that can make use of 960w maximum. Alot of overclockers are building machines with 1kw power supplies to handle the newer graphics cards in SLI.

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon

The XPS 7xx desktop range from Dell is offered in 1Kw varieties. As are workstations similar to Mac Pros from other manufacturers.

The 710 H2C I have runs two 8800GTX's, dual 10K drives + third HDD, the refrigeration system for the overclocking, the Physx card and an X-Fi Elite Pro just fine on a 1Kw supply. The 'vanilla' 710 I also have also runs two 8800GTXs and an X-Fi Elite Pro and I have no problems with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.