Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LeeW

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
AMD has been the de-facto gamer's choice.

I am no expert but I have never known that to be the case. Even recently when upgrading my machine I was considering AMD but everywhere I looked still said intel, AMD is a great option these days but intel still has the edge in gaming (I am told and have read) as far as CPU is concerned but the gaming 'fight' if you like is not with CPU, rather GPU.

Reactions: michael9891

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
Here is an interesting video:

Is Intel paying OEMs again? I simply don't get it. Far better chip, less power consumption, and they simply remove it from sales?
Now with X1C and X1E I get it. They didn't have the time to redesign the internals for new motherboard+cpu. But this is a finished product.

I really love my X1E, and I'm slowly becoming a Lenovo fan. But my next laptop will be from AMD, because their chip is way better at the moment. Lenovo will loose money by doing stuff like this, just like Dell and others.

Reactions: LeeW

filu_

macrumors regular
May 30, 2020
I'm slowly getting used to the idea that I'll stay on Linux but with the option to run Windows in a virtual machine (preferred) or dual boot.

Linux would be the everyday choice - for internet browsing, file sharing (SMB, DLNA), mail, sometimes Gimp and LibreOffice. For more demanding tasks and for my wife - Windows. I do not predict games, I stopped at Panzer General and it probably won't start anymore. I can also use Steam. Maybe I will also like Windows as the main system.

I thought that an i5 NUC would be enough for this, 16 or even 32 GB of RAM (maybe 2x8 now and 2x8 if I pay off the debit :) ), a 240 GB SSD and a 2 TB HDD for multimedia. But I think I will use my existing housing, leaving for now a 1 TB HDD (to be replaced in the future) and a CD / DVD, and by buying an Intel i5, mATX motherboard, M.2 SSD drive.

I am not completely up-to-date with the hardware, so it seems to me that this configuration will be ok, but maybe I am wrong?

Greetings!

Reactions: canesalato

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Here is an interesting video:

Is Intel paying OEMs again? I simply don't get it. Far better chip, less power consumption, and they simply remove it from sales?
Now with X1C and X1E I get it. They didn't have the time to redesign the internals for new motherboard+cpu. But this is a finished product.

I really love my X1E, and I'm slowly becoming a Lenovo fan. But my next laptop will be from AMD, because their chip is way better at the moment. Lenovo will loose money by doing stuff like this, just like Dell and others.
Asus had a 6 month exclusive on certain Ryzen chips could that be the issue?

If I do pick up a Windows laptop, I’d also want AMD.

Reactions: 0128672

Cancelled
Apr 19, 2014
I recently got a T14 with the Ryzen 7 Pro 4750U and it is a fantastic laptop. AMD has a real winner with these Ryzen laptop chips. OpenBSD support is perfect.

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
Asus had a 6 month exclusive on certain Ryzen chips could that be the issue?

Nope. There are smaller OEMs that are using AMD. And Lenovo already made that laptop, even some reviewers got it, and some people bought it. It can't be that Asus & AMD agreement.

I'm waiting for Ryzen 5000 series for laptops. And I'm then upgrading to U-series CPU. Current U-series from AMD is beating Intel H-series, so I can have lightweight laptop with great battery life and powerful CPU. I just hope that AMD makes further gains in GPU as well.

Reactions: kazmac

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Nope. There are smaller OEMs that are using AMD. And Lenovo already made that laptop, even some reviewers got it, and some people bought it. It can't be that Asus & AMD agreement.

I'm waiting for Ryzen 5000 series for laptops. And I'm then upgrading to U-series CPU. Current U-series from AMD is beating Intel H-series, so I can have lightweight laptop with great battery life and powerful CPU. I just hope that AMD makes further gains in GPU as well.
Thanks for that info on the AMD 5000, maybe I will wait until they are released.

Thysanoptera

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2018
Pittsburgh, PA

Remember that AMD is a design office, depends on TSM to manufacture. Try to buy any laptop with 4800u, it is like only reviewers got them, and it has been what, 4 - 5 months already. Meanwhile Intel still sells everything they actually produce in volume and it is difficult to blame laptop companies that they want to sell their products rather than waiting for TSM to deliver components. Can't wait for Zen3 and RDNA2 launches, my 3080FE gets delivered today, but I'm sure this was a walk in a park compared to what's in store during AMD launch later this month.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.