Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.
Can you comment more about this, is this 11.0.1 beta, is this different than the discover firmware stuff, what files did you find or who did you talk to that indicated there is this support?

The device ID is present in the appropriate locations in the drivers. It's 73BF if you want to look for it yourself.

Last edited:
Reactions: h9826790 and eksu

eksu

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2017
I have sold my VII and am waiting for new cards ?.

I was hoping this would be a good place to discuss which coolers we think would fit in the cMP without blocking the second PCIe slot. Sapphire has a pretty good photo of the size of the “2.5 slot” reference cooler here.

We can count on the 6800 to be 2 slot but the XT’s are oversized. When actual cards are released we can then look into which ones have best OpenCore display compatibility and OS compatibility.

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.
Eksu, were you not happy with the VII? That GPU is still very good, especially with compute. Have you looked at the Pro VII? That one should be compatible with Mojave still. I personally wouldn't go with a GPU that requires an unsupported OS, especially since Mojave is still receiving security updates. I'm also not fully convinced Apple has worked out all the bugs with their Navi drivers.

eksu

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2017
Oh I was very happy with the VII, I just wanted to get an upgrade before it depreciated. I actually sold my VII for more than I bought it for - more than enough to cover a 6800XT and almost enough for a 6900XT.

I have a 280X with bootscreen, 460, 580 and w7000 FirePro, so I have some backups I am running on now.

I primarily use my GPU for gaming in Windows (on a LG Ultrafine 4K, 4096x2304) and in MacOS probably my most common use case is h264/265 transcoding in MacOS. With the double performance upgrade I would like to start gaming on a LG ultrafine 5K. If driver support doesn’t work out I’ll buy a VII when they have gone down in price, maybe an anniversary edition in red.

I should also add that I’ve been running Big Sur beta since day one. My hope is whatever card I end up with has OpenCore display support in an unaccelerated manner for Mojave and Catalina and such.

Last edited:
Reactions: Reindeer_Games

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.
Just in case you missed it, AMD announced the Arcturus CDNA based Instinct MI100 HPC GPU. There isn't any indication this architecture will be supported by macOS, but it's still interesting. It looks like it may be based on Vega, rather than Navi. Arcturus is GFX908 while Vega 20 is GFX906 and GFX907. Navi 21 is GFX1030. It seems to me if Apple was intending to replace the Vega II GPUs for the 7,1 they would choose Arcturus instead of the gaming focused Big Navi. Perhaps then the upcoming Navi 21 GPUs are headed for a different Mac than the 7,1, which doesn't make sense to me if other Macs are being transitioned to Apple Silicon soon. Perhaps then the high end Apple chips are still a ways away and we'll see Apple continue to update Intel based Macs on the upper end over the next year.

desert0616

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2020
11.1 includes proper framebuffer support for Radeon RX 6800, 6800 XT, & 6900 XT. There are also 3 specific frame buffer personalities for Navi 21 GPUs which suggests 3 new MPX modules for the 7,1 are coming.
So, is there any test that has been conducted on 11.1 beta and 6800xt? Thanks.

Lju

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2020
I don't know if this can be somehow related to this thread but it looks like the new M1 macbooks can detect eGPUs and successfully show the OS on a connected display, no acceleration though.

Reactions: dabotsonline

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.
I don't know if this can be somehow related to this thread but it looks like the new M1 macbooks can detect eGPUs and successfully show the OS on a connected display, no acceleration though.
It's relevant in relation to compatibility of AMD GPUs with an Apple Silicon based Mac Pro desktop.

Reactions: dabotsonline

amstel78

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2018
I have an MSI Vega 64 Air Boost blower card in my MP5,1 running Mojave 10.14.6 via RefindPlus/OpenCore. I've noticed that the Vega 64 fan does not spin at idle, resulting in a GPU idle temp hovering anywhere between 55-60C dependent on ambient room temperatures.

Doing anything GPU intensive will of course get the Vega fan spinning. GPU temp usually peaks at 75C under load which is fine. Once the load is removed, the fan will continue to spin until it reaches 50C, at which point it will shut off again.

For the sake of longevity, I'm hoping though that there's an easy solution to get my fan to spin while idling. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I have an MSI Vega 64 Air Boost blower card in my MP5,1 running Mojave 10.14.6 via RefindPlus/OpenCore. I've noticed that the Vega 64 fan does not spin at idle, resulting in a GPU idle temp hovering anywhere between 55-60C dependent on ambient room temperatures.

Doing anything GPU intensive will of course get the Vega fan spinning. GPU temp usually peaks at 75C under load which is fine. Once the load is removed, the fan will continue to spin until it reaches 50C, at which point it will shut off again.

For the sake of longevity, I'm hoping though that there's an easy solution to get my fan to spin while idling. Any suggestions?
This looks perfectly normal to me.

Unless the fan start / stop ever few minutes (or even ever few seconds). Otherwise, keep it spinning just to burn the fan's life span.

Keep the GPU cool is good. However, keep the temperature range narrow is also good. Every warm up / cool down will cause a little bit of stress due to expansion / contraction.

So, if the GPU can keep itself work between 50-75. It may be a better option than keep the fan running, but let the GPU work between 35-75.

Anyway, if you really want to build your own fan profile, you may try VGTab.

amstel78

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2018
This looks perfectly normal to me.

Unless the fan start / stop ever few minutes (or even ever few seconds). Otherwise, keep it spinning just to burn the fan's life span.

Keep the GPU cool is good. However, keep the temperature range narrow is also good. Every warm up / cool down will cause a little bit of stress due to expansion / contraction.

So, if the GPU can keep itself work between 50-75. It may be a better option than keep the fan running, but let the GPU work between 35-75.

Anyway, if you really want to build your own fan profile, you may try VGTab.
Thanks for the reply. That's reassuring. I have much more experience with GPUs on the PC side of things; obviously not so much on the Mac. With my PC's, all of the GPU's I've used had the fans running while idle. They would ramp up or down depending on die temps, but would never actually stop spinning. On the Vega 64, I only see the fan turn on after a particular threshold is met (above 60C I think).

I also wasn't sure how to use VGTab kext injector with WEG and Lilu already running in my OC Mojave install. Reading some different threads, the likelihood for a conflict to exist is pretty high if I try to combine WEG/Lilu and VGTab kexts together.

Anyway, if you think it's fine I'll probably just leave it as is.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Thanks for the reply. That's reassuring. I have much more experience with GPUs on the PC side of things; obviously not so much on the Mac. With my PC's, all of the GPU's I've used had the fans running while idle. They would ramp up or down depending on die temps, but would never actually stop spinning. On the Vega 64, I only see the fan turn on after a particular threshold is met (above 60C I think).

I also wasn't sure how to use VGTab kext injector with WEG and Lilu already running in my OC Mojave install. Reading some different threads, the likelihood for a conflict to exist is pretty high if I try to combine WEG/Lilu and VGTab kexts together.

Anyway, if you think it's fine I'll probably just leave it as is.
It's not a PC / Mac thing.

The graphic card you are running is also a PC graphic card. Many graphic cards has this zero fan mode in the last few years.

If you are not sure how to install the PowerPlay kext, better just leave it (anyway, that's independent to Lilu / WEG).

amstel78

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2018
It's not a PC / Mac thing.

The graphic card you are running is also a PC graphic card. Many graphic cards has this zero fan mode in the last few years.

If you are not sure how to install the PowerPlay kext, better just leave it (anyway, that's independent to Lilu / WEG).
I understand the PC/Mac thing - I know that this is a PC graphics card. What I meant to say is that I'm more familiar with tweaking software settings on the PC side of things. There's a lot more software support for hardware under Windows when it comes to GPU tweaking than there is for Mac OS. I understand I can achieve similar results modifying kexts, etc, but alas I'm not very familiar with doing that yet.

Out of curiosity, is there a guide out there on how to install the PowerPlay kext in a system that already has LiLu/WEG installed?

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Start from step f

Or you can inject that via OpenCore if you want to

Reactions: amstel78

amstel78

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2018
Start from step f

Or you can inject that via OpenCore if you want to
Thanks. I'll tinker around with it later.

ikir

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2007
Any update on series 6000 on Big Sur and any hint for future eGOU support on Apple Silicon?

amstel78

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2018
@h9826790 - sorry, one more stupid question:

I just looked at my MP3,1 with a Radeon 7950 in it running Catalina. The fans on that graphics card are constantly running - even at idle. Based on what you wrote before, I'm assuming that since the 7950 is an older card, its BIOS is set in such a way that the fans will run constantly and only ramp up under load. Whereas, the Vega 64 being a newer card, has its BIOS telling it that it should only turn its fan on after it reaches a certain temperature threshold.

Is my understanding correct?

The reason I ask (and also why I said this is a stupid question), but my newest GPU is a GTX 1080Ti installed in a Windows box. My experience with newer-ish graphics cards ends with that, and the 1080Ti's fans run constantly irrespective of load. All other previous GPUs I've owned have had cooling fans that constantly spun at idle like the 1080. The Vega 64 is the first card I've owned that didn't do that.

Just want to make sure nothing's amiss with my setup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.