Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
The bludgeoning of the IT sector continues - AMD Posts First Loss in Years as Consumer Chip Sales Plummet by 65%

A lot was said regarding Intel, but it appears that AMD is not immune
AMD on Tuesday posted its first quarterly loss in years due to weak sales of processors for client PCs. Overall, AMD's chip sales dropped 64%.

Consumer CPUs took a nose dive, a 65% decrease
1683119981109.png

Reactions: LeeW

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
Definitely no issues on the server segment. I can't get enough AMD chips, every new server is AMD now. Most cloud providers are replacing with AMD. Intel is losing out big time to AMD in that regard.

Reactions: Cape Dave

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
Granted, we know that 7000 series wasn't a HUGE jump over 5000, but how much of these lower sales are due to the nigh non-existent 7000 series laptops? I mean we're finally just now seeing Phoenix laptops -- the REAL 7000 series chips instead of the 6000 series rebrands.

I'm in and out of the news cycle when it comes to AMD's offerings so pardon me, but I thought we were supposed to be getting better supply way before now.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
how much of these lower sales are due to the nigh non-existent 7000 series laptops?
I think its more along the lines of the entire industry being an a malaise. I don't think there's one single cause either.

First, (and I could be wrong) but AMD's mobile chips don't account for 65% of AMD consumer chip business, secondly, Intel and Apple are feeling similar downturns.

There's also companies like Nvidia and to an extent AMD that sought to maximize profits in an anti-consumer fashion. Nvidia during the GPU crunch could have produced more of the high demand GPUs but instead rolled out so many distinct GPUs, even 4 or 5 year old discontinued, all in the name of squeezing every cent out of the consumer.

This year Nvidia raised the prices of the 40 series, that made them significantly higher then their 30 series counterpart when those were released. AMD is not blameless, they could have positioned their new generation GPUs at a price point that undercut Nvidia and made some serious goodwill with their customers but instead followed Nvidia's lead.

Overall, as well know, life is more expensive and most consumers have less money to spend on non-critical items, and since many people upgraded or bought new computers in 2020, there's little need, add on top of that the gouging of the GPUs, it makes it harder for people to justify, even for those who want to spend the money.

Just my $.02

engbren

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2011
Australia
Whilst definitely affected by an industry downturn, there was a distinct lack of availability of laptops with 6000 series chips. Intel has also marketed the benefits of EVO quite heavily in major stores here.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Difference between unwanted vs non-availability. Most everyone was waiting for 7800X3D which was released April 6th while Q1 fiscal quarter covers Jan, Feb and Mar. There's also a huge potential AM4 market for upgrades.

Don't know what the reason is for non-availability of 6800U either. Could it be that handheld gaming market snatched them up from laptop makers? Or, AMD decided to focus production on next gen 7800U which is turning out to be killer.

Fortunately, AMD is diversified in supercomputing, data center, desktop, gaming console and they're looking to take the hot new handheld gaming market which will trickle up to laptop and tiny form factor (aka NUC).

Apr 12, 2023
Whilst definitely affected by an industry downturn, there was a distinct lack of availability of laptops with 6000 series chips. Intel has also marketed the benefits of EVO quite heavily in major stores here.
I am waiting for some more arc based GPU equipped notebooks to come on scene. I am looking hard at the 15" HP spectre 2 in 1 with the arc. Hyper encoding is a serious thing for me and that is the front runner for replacement for my dell. For creative work the arc is faster than anything else out there right now. Even more so in the desktop space.

Gaming is a different story but a story I do not care about. All I care about is creative software speed and Intel cpu/gpu combos are the fastest right now.

Apr 12, 2023

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Well, they had one bad day.
I have no idea what the picture is trying to convey
Everybody in the consumer PC space took a poop
There's a few reasons but it shouldn't come as a surprise given that so many people upgraded and/or bought new hardware in 2020 for WFH. I consider it greed by many of the component makers, like nvidia and AMD, jacking up the prices at a time when supply was so constrained. Now with inflation being what it is, most people can easily make due with that they have.

I'm on a 11th Gen processor and a RTX 2060 for my desktop and its more then capable

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
so many people upgraded and/or bought new hardware in 2020 for WFH.

Mostly this is the current cause. Not just people but companies. The Corporate sector bought massive volumes of laptops to support WFH as well during COVID. The majority in that space of being comfortable with what they have and will be for a while yet. And as you say, inflation is just adding to the reasons for everyone holding back more than usual.

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012

There's a few reasons but it shouldn't come as a surprise given that so many people upgraded and/or bought new hardware in 2020 for WFH. I consider it greed by many of the component makers, like nvidia and AMD, jacking up the prices at a time when supply was so constrained. Now with inflation being what it is, most people can easily make due with that they have.

I'm on a 11th Gen processor and a RTX 2060 for my desktop and its more then capable
Just their stock price, they had terrible earnings, stock went from 90 down to 81 like it should. And has gone straight up since, now $127.

Reactions: maflynn
Apr 12, 2023

I have a 10th gen i7 and 2070 super and it rips through video and content creation. No worries about that system for many years. I was going to upgrade the cpu to an 11th gen i9, but the ROI is so minor that I would probably gain 1 second of export time for a 30 min video rip.

Reactions: LeeW
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.