Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kentrent

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2022
Hello Group!! I have two AMD Radeon Pro Vega II Duo MPX module and both MPX running pretty hot even at idle. I looked up and it said each MPX uses about 445watts of power. So does this mean every time the Mac Pro 7.1 runs, since I have two of this graphic cards, it consumes at least 890 watts of power? or is this energy consumptions is only when it's actually computing task (like rendering or anything graphic intense tasks)? Because if its always using this much energy then the electric bill would be a lot if I have this computer on 24/7.

Second question: how is your temperature on this MPX? mine always said around 145degree F. Its quite hot when touched on the back vent. is this normal temperature?

anyone know about this? thanks very much.

smckenzie

macrumors member
May 7, 2022
Can only imagine that's a full usage, not idle.

I have a 6800 Duo, 5700XT and 2x 6900XT's that's been in mine in various combinations. The Duo does seem to run warm but last time I checked it was around 118 d/f at idle I think. At full blast rendering it got up to 185 d/f but that was with two 6900's in the case blowing all of their hot air around. With a fan utility cranking the fans to full blast that would go down to 145 d/f but it's like having a turbine in your house lol.

I have another Duo arriving today so I'm curious to see if the temps stay lower on full load.

Kentrent

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2022
Can only imagine that's a full usage, not idle.

I have a 6800 Duo, 5700XT and 2x 6900XT's that's been in mine in various combinations. The Duo does seem to run warm but last time I checked it was around 118 d/f at idle I think. At full blast rendering it got up to 185 d/f but that was with two 6900's in the case blowing all of their hot air around. With a fan utility cranking the fans to full blast that would go down to 145 d/f but it's like having a turbine in your house lol.

I have another Duo arriving today so I'm curious to see if the temps stay lower on full load.
That’s very hot. I almost feel like this computer can be my room heater in the winter. It’s generates a lot of heat even the computer idling. This is normal right everyone? Thanks

By the way, which duo card are u getting today?

Boil

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2018
Stargate Command
Vegas in any form are known to run hot; let's all say it together, thanks Raja...!

I had a 5700XT 50AE in with my 3900X (on an ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Impact miniDTX mobo) for awhile, it was a small space heater...!

For power consumption, get a properly-sized UPS (I like the APC brand) that has a readout for power consumption, that will give you your Idle & Load power draw numbers...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.