Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HK1234

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2018
I have a problem...

I have a Mac Pro "Eight Core" 2.8 (2008). My old graphics card "died" and I bought another one.
The new card is AMD Radeon R9 270X, 4096mb. With OS X El Capitan it almost works. One monitor is working and one display port (dvi) is working, but I can´t get a picture from HDMI or any other port. This type of problem is new for me.

What can I do?

TheStork

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2008
Is the 270X a PC graphics card or has it been flashed to work on a Mac Pro? If it's a PC graphics card that hasn't been flash, then that's probably the problem.

HK1234

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2018
Yes it is flashed for Mac pro. One dvi port is working well, but HDMI is just "black". According to my monitor there is signal, but it is just black...

bookemdano

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2011
What brand is the card? Usual case when some ports don't work is if the port layout is different from the reference design. I don't know if that applies in your case though. Did you buy it pre-flashed or flash it yourself?

Edit: also, it was a little confusing because you said "Display Port (DVI)" was working. I assume in that case you meant the DVI output. There is a specific port type (which your card also probably has) called DisplayPort. How many outputs does your card have and what type are they?

Edit: Old thread with similar issues: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/2008-macpro-3-1-radeon-r9-270x.1889387/

Last edited:

HK1234

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2018
It was pre-flashed. I was prepared to to flash it myself, but the price was OK for pre-flashed.

Yes you are right. I did´t use the right terms. My card has two DVI outputs, one DisplayPort and one HDMI. My main monitor is DVI and my second monitor is HDMI. Only one DVI is working. The other DVI is just "black" and same for HDMI. I haven´t tried DisplayPort.

bookemdano

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2011
If you look at the thread I linked, you'll see it's due to the non-standard port layout on this card. You might try a PM to fl0r!an or hope he sees this thread, as maybe there has been some progress made on a fix, I dunno. But in that thread he flat-out states that the 270x is not a good candidate for MacOS.

If you're still able to return the card and pick up something different you may want to consider that.

HK1234

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2018
Thank you for good explanation! Have to think about this for a while...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.