Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^My experience with an RX5700 in a 7,1 NcMP was not good. It was a Gigabyte Aorus unit. I would get at least one, sometimes more, kernel panics daily. I chalked it up to the drivers. Since my switch to a Gigabyte RX6800XT a few months ago, I have not had a panic or any other type of crash.

Lou

Last edited:

prefuse07

Suspended
Jan 27, 2020
San Francisco, CA
^^^^My experience with an RX5700 in a 7,1 NcMP was not good. It was a Gigabyte Aorus unit. I would get at least one, sometimes more, kernel panics daily. I chalked it up to the drivers. Since my switch to a Gigabyte RX6800XT a few months ago, I have not had a panic of any other type of crash.

Lou
I really wish I could run Navi2 cards in this machine :-/

Stex

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2021
NYC
@Stex thank you for this! I hope someone (*cough*macvidcards*cough*) finds a way to hack the 6K series Navi2xx cards, because I really want to throw an RX-6600XT into this bad boy. I just got a 4K Dell monitor, and I really want to take advantage (though I am hearing that my RX-580 will play 4K movies?) heading to youtube now to see...

Anyway, thanks again for keeping us posted man, cheers!

I really wish I could run Navi2 cards in this machine :-/

Just to update this thread for future readers, there are now 2 options to run NAVI2 cards on the cMP -- macvidcards_europe now sells flashed RX6XXX cards and @Syncretic has created a patch, the latter still is testing phase but a very promising option:

• Love
Reactions: f329 and prefuse07

Stex

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2021
NYC
WHAAAAT!!!!!

I was about to start shopping for a 2019 Mac Pro, but with that news, I can definitely wait!

Yes, this is good news for our cMP! But my impression is that we cMP users have to be realistic about the cMP CPU being a limiting factor in getting the full performance potential of RX6xxx cards. Those looking to upgrade from an RX580 *might* find the added performance and lower power consumption (latter mainly for RX6600) enough to justify the upgrade. But I am not sure those running their cMP with a Radeon VII or RX5700/RX5700XT will deem the RX6xxx a worthy upgrade. Once the benchmarks of RX6xxx on cMPs start to roll in, we might have more/better data to consider such upgrade. The 7,1 are great machines that, at some point, I would be more than happy to snatch from those who undersell them to get a Mac Studio or whatever non-modular Mac Pro we might get! :)

Norbert Mikołajczyk

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2016
Yes, this is good news for our cMP! But my impression is that we cMP users have to be realistic about the cMP CPU being a limiting factor in getting the full performance potential of RX6xxx cards. Those looking to upgrade from an RX580 *might* find the added performance and lower power consumption (latter mainly for RX6600) enough to justify the upgrade. But I am not sure those running their cMP with a Radeon VII or RX5700/RX5700XT will deem the RX6xxx a worthy upgrade. Once the benchmarks of RX6xxx on cMPs start to roll in, we might have more/better data to consider such upgrade. The 7,1 are great machines that, at some point, I would be more than happy to snatch from those who undersell them to get a Mac Studio or whatever non-modular Mac Pro we might get! :)
yeah, I'm waiting for the 6800xt cMP benchmarks too, if the performance increase will be around 30% then I'm sold and I'll upgrade from RVII!

Norbert Mikołajczyk

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2016
The 6800xt should be much faster than the VII according to user benchmarks here.

UserBenchmark: AMD Radeon-VII vs RX 6800-XT

but depends if the Mac pro 4.1 5.1 can get the best out of it or not. Would defiantly go this way myself.
yeah, if you have modern hi-end pc then it's 50% faster, but in cMP it could be much less than that, I assume it will be 20-30% faster only, fingers crossed! But it takes 3 PCIE slots and we will have to remove the PCI fan too

Matty_TypeR

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2016
UK
yeah, if you have modern hi-end pc then it's 50% faster, but in cMP it could be much less than that, I assume it will be 20-30% faster only, fingers crossed! But it takes 3 PCIE slots and we will have to remove the PCI fan too
Thats one of the draw backs, they are huge cards and my vega nitro plus was big enough! need to find the length of the sapphire 6800xt pulse.

Matty_TypeR

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2016
UK
modified fan and still works as normal but the card will fit in ??

IMG_6297.jpg

mikas

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2017
Finland
AMD 6800XT reference cards would fit in cMP lengthwise without any modifications to PCIe fan I think. They are of same length as RVIIs are. They are thicker though like you said, so have to think about loosing a slot or two.

This is exciting. Still I'm not sure if I need to try this route anymore. Allready had some RVIIs tried and tested, and they perform pretty well still as of today.

Oscar's macdope

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2022
Those of you who have an RX 5700 XT in a MacPro5,1 (I have that) or in a MacPro7,1 for that matter – do you also have the fans spinning up slightly but noticable from being passive, every 10-15 minutes or so? I can just be at the desktop with nothing heavy running (basically just the Finder open) and the fans still spin up like that. It's a bit annoying, so curious if it's only me or if it's something that happens with the card in a MacPro5,1. I think it happens in Windows 10 too, but not as frequently. I guess it could be due to the firmware on my specific version: Gigabyte RX 5700 XT GAMING OC 8G.
Hello I have a question since I just started upgrading to Monterey and got a RX 5700 XT. How did you connect the powersupply ? 2 separate cables going mini6 pin to 8 pin ? I am curious because i haven't managed to boot the computer yet with my current set up. (twin mini6 to one 8 pin leaving one slot empty.

prefuse07

Suspended
Jan 27, 2020
San Francisco, CA
Hello I have a question since I just started upgrading to Monterey and got a RX 5700 XT. How did you connect the powersupply ? 2 separate cables going mini6 pin to 8 pin ? I am curious because i haven't managed to boot the computer yet with my current set up. (twin mini6 to one 8 pin leaving one slot empty.

I used to have a 5700XT -- you need Pixlas

star-affinity

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2007
Can take a look tomorrow. Sleeping time here. But have you installed the latest firmware for the MacPro5,1 and will you be using OpenCore to get a bootscreen/Startup pocket?

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
leaving one slot empty.
You should NEVER power on the computer with any aux pin unconnected, unless the graphic card manual says you can do so.

For modern cards, most likely nothing will happen, but just can't boot. For older cards, you may kill the card.

Anyway, for just "boot to desktop" (e.g. to confirm the card can actually boot), you may connect each 8pin to a mini 6pin. That should provide enough power. However, this is far from idea for you to stress the card. Very high chance that your cMP will trigger the shutdown protection if you stress the GPU. So, I don't think you should work / play in that config.

Depends on which 5700XT you have, the solution may be simple. Just merge both mini 6pins to a single 8pin, then spilt the 8pin to feed both 8pins on the card may be good enough. I tested this method on my Radeon VII. It can work with proper downvolt.
However, there is no guarantee this method can work on your card. Especially if your 5700xt is the after market overclock option.

In order to make sure the card can be powered properly with no unnecessary restriction. You better perform Pixlas mode. As long as 100% follow the guide. It shouldn't be too hard to complete.

star-affinity

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2007
@Oscar's macdope

I have the RX 5700 XT from Gigabyte and it looks like this:

1CC029F5-B321-4D18-9A92-2654E738E8B9.jpeg

No trouble taxing the card in macOS nor Windows 10.

Edit:
I can modify the sentence above and say that the computer can’t handle heavy taxing while having a 4K TV connected. When I did that the computer would shut down at times. I guess the power delivery isn’t enough. But 1920 x 1200 works fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: JedNZ

cd587

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2024
Hi, I'm reviving this rather old thread as I'm looking into upgrading my current RX 570 with a RX 5700 (non-XT).

I've understood that it's best to stick to the reference design cards for compatibility reasons but they are rather difficult to come by. Are there other variants that are known to work fine or rather - which are the ones to avoid?

Also - are there currently any known problems with Mac OS Catalina or later versions with the 5000 series? I came across two different things:

• MacVidCards is referring to needed patches on Mac OS 10.15.5 up to 10.15.7 as without the patch you would end up in an infinite boot loop. I've never heard of this and was wondering whether this is an actual problem or not.
  • On this GPU buyers guide from Dortania they refer to a required boot argument (agdpmod=pikera) to get a proper display for the 5000 series. Also here I can't find a definite answer whether this generally applies to this series combined with a Mac or if this is rather a Hackintosh-specific problem
Alternatively I would stick to upgrading to an RX 590 which should work without problems if an RX 5700 would cause too many issues.

Thanks for your help!!

Edit: links added

Last edited:

star-affinity

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2007
Hi, I'm reviving this rather old thread as I'm looking into upgrading my current RX 570 with a RX 5700 (non-XT).

I've understood that it's best to stick to the reference design cards for compatibility reasons but they are rather difficult to come by. Are there other variants that are known to work fine or rather - which are the ones to avoid?

Also - are there currently any known problems with Mac OS Catalina or later versions with the 5000 series? I came across two different things:

• MacVidCards is referring to needed patches on Mac OS 10.15.5 up to 10.15.7 as without the patch you would end up in an infinite boot loop. I've never heard of this and was wondering whether this is an actual problem or not.
  • On this GPU buyers guide from Dortania they refer to a required boot argument (agdpmod=pikera) to get a proper display for the 5000 series. Also here I can't find a definite answer whether this generally applies to this series combined with a Mac or if this is rather a Hackintosh-specific problem
Alternatively I would stick to upgrading to an RX 590 which should work without problems if an RX 5700 would cause too many issues.

Thanks for your help!!

Edit: links added
All works well for me with Gigabyte’s RX 5700 XT and macOS Monterey using the OpenCore package here:

cd587

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2024
All works well for me with Gigabyte’s RX 5700 XT and macOS Monterey using the OpenCore package here:

Thanks for this!

Would I need to do any of this though if I already have EnableGOP and get a boot-picker already with my RX 570 and don’t need any of the other features since I don’t do Video Editing or would EnableGOP + at least Catalina be enough to run the RX 5700?

My main goal is to have Mac OS running normally for everyday tasks and mainly using my Windows 10 partition for gaming.

What threw me off is the infos I saw regarding patches needed to even boot into Mac OS with these cards.

star-affinity

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2007
Thanks for this!

Would I need to do any of this though if I already have EnableGOP and get a boot-picker already with my RX 570 and don’t need any of the other features since I don’t do Video Editing or would EnableGOP + at least Catalina be enough to run the RX 5700?

My main goal is to have Mac OS running normally for everyday tasks and mainly using my Windows 10 partition for gaming.

What threw me off is the infos I saw regarding patches needed to even boot into Mac OS with these cards.

I had some occasional stability trouble with Catalina, so I would definitely recommend going Big Sur at least.

Not sure if you need to change anything compared to what you already have, but it is really easy to get up and running with the OpenCore package by h9826790 that I linked to above.

Reactions: cd587

cd587

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2024
Hi, quick update as I was now able to install the RX 5700.
Everything went smoothly and the GPU was immediately detected and booted correctly into Catalina.

Only issue so far is that in Geekbench 5 OpenCL I only get between 48.000 - 49.000 points, while they should be around 10.000 points higher.
Does this have anything to do with the Hardware Acceleration patch being needed?

As I use Windows 10 for gaming it's not that big of a problem for me personally but if this is the fix I might look into it.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Only issue so far is that in Geekbench 5 OpenCL I only get between 48.000 - 49.000 points, while they should be around 10.000 points higher.

Did you tried to enter sleep and wake before running the benchmark?

Does this have anything to do with the Hardware Acceleration patch being needed?

VideoToolbox hardware assistance is only for video compression/decompression/color grading, so, no relation with the GPU performance in games or benchmarks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.