Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aoligei

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2020
Seeing what Apple did, not just strictly performance wise but compatibility, illustrates how far MS has to go to improve windows 10 ARM. I get that its a totally different issue, give that Apple controls both the hardware and software but the point remains macOS on ARM is a better more polished product then windows on ARM

I don't think Microsoft will never able to match Windows on ARM to macOS on ARM.

Two companies model are completely different. Microsoft is not primary Windows company, its core business are all about cloud computing now. There is not much motive for Microsoft fully committed to ARM.

Secondly. Apple is capable throw everything away and start new. Most of their core users will following what Apple is doing. Things are much different than Microsoft. There is every incentive for Microsoft to keep old x86 compatibility where Apple doesn't. There are lots of company, corporation, government agencies are depended on Windows and it is curial for Microsoft to maintain x86 support.

Therefore, as long as Microsoft keeps supporting x86, why would any developer see the benefit for developing application on ARM?

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
In order for MS to transition to ARM, they need something like Rosetta 2. And it needs to be just as good.
Even Apple didn't try to transition without some backwards compatibility, and MS has always put backwards compatibility as a priority.

I just highly doubt MS can manage to create something as good, because Windows isn't MacOS.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
In order for MS to transition to ARM, they need something like Rosetta 2. And it needs to be just as good.
Even Apple didn't try to transition without some backwards compatibility, and MS has always put backwards compatibility as a priority.

I just highly doubt MS can manage to create something as good, because Windows isn't MacOS.

They have something like Rosetta; it just doesn't work that well right now.

I used something like Rosetta back in the 1990s called FX!32 and it did the same thing for Windows NT. The technology is quite old.

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
Microsoft's 'Project Latte' is about bringing Android apps to the Microsoft Store and Windows 10.

Windows Central said Android apps on Windows 10 could be a 21H2 (or later) feature, if and when it ever comes to market.

Serban55

Suspended
Oct 18, 2020
For windows on arm to be mainstream and very good....that means every windows 10 OEM to start and get on the boat..Dell, Lenovo, HP and so on, and they all will need Amd so called rumoured competitor chips..
For now, its very hard...it will take some years

If you saw how almost iOS apps works on macs.....you will understand how even worse the android apps will do on windows 10 desktops/laptops....you can try them on Chromebooks for now...but most of them are horrible experience
Most of them didnt even had a tablet mode and support for that ratio etc..

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
If you saw how almost iOS apps works on macs.....you will understand how even worse the android apps will do on windows 10 desktops/laptops....you can try them on Chromebooks for now...but most of them are horrible experience
Most of them didnt even had a tablet mode and support for that ratio etc..
This is just cobblers, who wants to run a tiny app full screen on a 27" monitor, you just making it up as you go along now

Android apps on windows has been around for years and used extensively for games and MS / Samsung has made dual use of Android apps in windows better and better. W10 is already configured for touch making App usage even easier

Without touch the whole concept of porting IOS apps over is already gimped to say the least and at beast currently a gimmick

Reactions: LeeW

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
yes but for that you need windows 10 arm since macOS will never come for 3d party, and beside that you need win10 arm based apps....and we know how "well" win10 emulation works

It is hard....very hard for anyone outside Apple to do this right
I'm not sure I understand. What doesn't work on Windows 10 emulation?

Serban55

Suspended
Oct 18, 2020
This is just cobblers, who wants to run a tiny app full screen on a 27" monitor, you just making it up as you go along now

Android apps on windows has been around for years and used extensively for games and MS / Samsung has made dual use of Android apps in windows better and better. W10 is already configured for touch making App usage even easier

Without touch the whole concept of porting IOS apps over is already gimped to say the least and at beast currently a gimmick
yep, like androids apps that are not mobile aspect ratio , no wonder that almost nobody is running android apps on windows or not even on chromebooks...so windows on arm will be weak for some time....microsoft is focus on cloud services not in OS anymore since Bill Gates...when i bought surface pro x for 2 years almost nobody jumped to bring native arm apps....after 2 months of m1 every major already is working or already brought native arm apps for the m1

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
yep, like androids apps that are not mobile aspect ratio , no wonder that almost nobody is running android apps on windows or not even on chromebooks...so windows on arm will be weak for some time....microsoft is focus on cloud services not in OS anymore since Bill Gates...when i bought surface pro x for 2 years almost nobody jumped to bring native arm apps....after 2 months of m1 every major already is working or already brought native arm apps for the m1
Windows has had ARM tablets for a few years now, well before the Surface Pro X came out.

I suspect you're seeing the fruits of Apple's labor here; Companies put in the work to compile ARM libraries that Windows or MacOS can use, so the lift is for macOS, and Windows can come along for the ride.

Mostly because Microsoft is still not all-in with Windows on ARM. They need to stop hedging their bets on it, and act like it's the future; because it is.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Windows has had ARM tablets for a few years now, well before the Surface Pro X came out.

I suspect you're seeing the fruits of Apple's labor here; Companies put in the work to compile ARM libraries that Windows or MacOS can use, so the lift is for macOS, and Windows can come along for the ride.

Mostly because Microsoft is still not all-in with Windows on ARM. They need to stop hedging their bets on it, and act like it's the future; because it is.

Windows has had ARM code since the 1990s for PDAs.

jrichards1408

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2016
yes but for that you need windows 10 arm since macOS will never come for 3d party, and beside that you need win10 arm based apps....and we know how "well" win10 emulation works

It is hard....very hard for anyone outside Apple to do this right
No you don't need Windows arm. You just need a Linux distro

• Angry
Reactions: thejadedmonkey
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.