Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blairh

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
Read in a thread on this forum before I left for Italy two months ago that you cannot use cellular data via a local (American) eSIM in Italy.

I have a friend who works at a mobile phone store in Italy. Showed up with my unlocked iPhone 14 Pro that had an AT&T eSIM. I was under the impression that I could simply add an Italian eSIM as these phones can use two eSIM's at once. He said no when I got to his store. Mentioned it would require me to somehow access the Italian Apple app store, etc. Didn't mention that Italian eSIMs can't use cellular data.

Went to another mobile store while I was there. Was told they couldn't run an Italian eSIM on my device.

I did research purchasing online eSIMs for international use. However I needed an eSIM that provided minutes as my parents are elderly, use flip phones, and were with me in Italy.

Would love a definitive answer to this. I plan on going to Italy every summer for an extended period (at least a month, so I hope). I just had to pay $160 via AT&T because even though they don't charge for more than 10 days in a billing cycle, my usage spilled over to a second billing cycle for 6 days. I also had no access to 5G and slower speeds using my AT&T eSIM while there.

Also, I use a lot of data while in Italy. I want to be able to purchase a local eSIM/physical SIM at a carrier store upon my arrival. If I can't do that with an eSIM-only iPhone then I might have to buy an older iPhone in the States for next summer.

Appreciate your responses.

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
I am under the impression that one can easily create Apple IDs for and then access different country app stores. I have access to (and use) three different european app stores without problem, not the italian one though.
Otherwise you should actually be able to get an e-sim from Vodafone, TIM or Wind Tre in Italy without problems - even as a pre-paid plan.

Reactions: madeirabhoy

BijouMan

macrumors member
May 16, 2022
Read in a thread on this forum before I left for Italy two months ago that you cannot use cellular data via a local (American) eSIM in Italy.

I have a friend who works at a mobile phone store in Italy. Showed up with my unlocked iPhone 14 Pro that had an AT&T eSIM. I was under the impression that I could simply add an Italian eSIM as these phones can use two eSIM's at once. He said no when I got to his store. Mentioned it would require me to somehow access the Italian Apple app store, etc. Didn't mention that Italian eSIMs can't use cellular data.

Went to another mobile store while I was there. Was told they couldn't run an Italian eSIM on my device.

I did research purchasing online eSIMs for international use. However I needed an eSIM that provided minutes as my parents are elderly, use flip phones, and were with me in Italy.

Would love a definitive answer to this. I plan on going to Italy every summer for an extended period (at least a month, so I hope). I just had to pay $160 via AT&T because even though they don't charge for more than 10 days in a billing cycle, my usage spilled over to a second billing cycle for 6 days. I also had no access to 5G and slower speeds using my AT&T eSIM while there.

Also, I use a lot of data while in Italy. I want to be able to purchase a local eSIM/physical SIM at a carrier store upon my arrival. If I can't do that with an eSIM-only iPhone then I might have to buy an older iPhone in the States for next summer.

If any of the companies in Italy offer eSIMs, they should just hand you a QR code which you scan into your device. Next time you purchase an iPhone, find a supplier based in a country where the iPhone still has a SIM card slot so you can travel to any country you like.

blairh

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
If any of the companies in Italy offer eSIMs, they should just hand you a QR code which you scan into your device. Next time you purchase an iPhone, find a supplier based in a country where the iPhone still has a SIM card slot so you can travel to any country you like.
I don't think that's how it works in Italy with eSIMs. And if it is, both stores said I could not use an Italian eSIM with my iPhone.

Problem with buying an iPhone from a foreign country is that the warranty will not be honored in the States.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
Was in Italy last October. I'm on Verizon w/iPhone 14 Pro Max. Used dual eSIM. Verizon voice for primary, Italy eSIM for data secondary. For me, I had a bank of international days saved up. So I used them for most of my trip. When I ran out, I switched over to my Italian eSIM and that worked just fine. Data only, no calls.

Got my eSIM for Italy through Airalo App in the App store. Before I went, I did a lot of reading and some places in Italy/EU require a passport/account with the carrier you get the sim from. You may want to read up on that a bit more.

A lot of the carriers there have eSIM and sell data only plans. Not sure why you had such an issue.

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
I'm in Italy every month or two, and have no issues with my Verizon iPhone. Just get charged 10 bucks for 24 hours of calling/data. I have a regular eSim.

Or am I misunderstanding your question?

blairh

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
I'm in Italy every month or two, and have no issues with my Verizon iPhone. Just get charged 10 bucks for 24 hours of calling/data. I have a regular eSim.

Or am I misunderstanding your question?
Yes you are misunderstanding. I'm asking about purchasing eSIMs directly through Italian carriers while in Italy. I know I can use my American eSIM but I'd rather not for several reasons.

blairh

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
A lot of the carriers there have eSIM and sell data only plans. Not sure why you had such an issue.
I need an Italian eSIM that does voice and data. Both places said they couldn't help me.

BijouMan

macrumors member
May 16, 2022
I don't think that's how it works in Italy with eSIMs. And if it is, both stores said I could not use an Italian eSIM with my iPhone.

Problem with buying an iPhone from a foreign country is that the warranty will not be honored in the States.
I would not have been able to use my Greek cellular plan if my iPhone did not have a SIM card slot. Otherwise, my only options would have been Vodafone Greece (native but does not have as many towers as COSMOTE), one of the British or French carriers or one of the global eSIM providers. Aside from Vodafone Greece, there is no cellular plan available in Greece (or Italy for that matter as far as I know) that will allow your iPhone to work directly through the network rather than roam on it. Not having a SIM card slot severely limits which countries you can travel to and have a direct (non-roaming) cellular connection. Also, I don’t think warranties are as important anymore due to Right to Repair legislation.

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2012
i find it bizarre reading this, but i've never tried to buy an eSim in Italy so maybe i shouldnt comment.

However, two thoughts. Firstly maybe you got unlucky with the two shops you asked. When i went to Thailand i knew from friends that the airport arrivals area had shops from all companies so i figured it would be easy to buy an eSim (i knew they existed and i wanted to keep my Portuguese sim working for incoming calls and texts). Went to shop of what i'd read was biggest company. Only did physical sims. apparently did eSim but not at airport. went to second shop. only did physical sims. pissed off. walking out with my luggage and walked past a much smaller looking shop, asked without expecting success, 2 mins and it was installed.

second thought, roaming charges are illegal in EU, so if you completely fail to get an eSim in italy, but managed to get one in Spain or Portugal or France whilst travelling, it would work just as well in Italy.

Third thought, if you manage to get a data only eSim, then its not ideal but just install whatsapp or use Facetime Audio.

jms-uk

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2008
UK
why specifically an ESIM? why not just buy a regular sim card? Some places like spain don't do prepaid esim but they will sell you a physical sim.

Because a 14 Pro from States doesn’t have a physical SIM slot.

Globug

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2012
Brisbane Australia
second thought, roaming charges are illegal in EU, so if you completely fail to get an eSim in italy, but managed to get one in Spain or Portugal or France whilst travelling, it would work just as well in Italy.

Third thought, if you manage to get a data only eSim, then its not ideal but just install whatsapp or use Facetime Audio.
P
I was just in Spain and bought sim that “roamed “ in Europe. It gave you 50 gig for Spain but only 10 gig outside of Spain. Might not be wort) it for this person.

blairh

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
why specifically an ESIM? why not just buy a regular sim card? Some places like spain don't do prepaid esim but they will sell you a physical sim.
Because I have an iPhone 14 Pro and I might get an iPhone 15 in a few weeks.

blairh

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
i find it bizarre reading this, but i've never tried to buy an eSim in Italy so maybe i shouldnt comment.

However, two thoughts. Firstly maybe you got unlucky with the two shops you asked. When i went to Thailand i knew from friends that the airport arrivals area had shops from all companies so i figured it would be easy to buy an eSim (i knew they existed and i wanted to keep my Portuguese sim working for incoming calls and texts). Went to shop of what i'd read was biggest company. Only did physical sims. apparently did eSim but not at airport. went to second shop. only did physical sims. pissed off. walking out with my luggage and walked past a much smaller looking shop, asked without expecting success, 2 mins and it was installed.

I'm only going to Italy.

My parents are elderly and don't feel comfortable using WhatsApp. I've tried.

I also have not found a data-only eSIM that would offer me 80 GB or more for a month.

Leaning towards bringing a refurbished iPhone that I will purchase from Apple right before I leave next summer.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013

Per Apple’s support docs, TIM, Vodafone and Wind Tre all support prepaid eSIM. I guess the main problem is finding someone knowledgable enough to help with the actual eSIM setup.

For what it’s worth, the TIM (MyTIM), Vodafone (My Vodafone Italia) and Wind Tre (WINDTRE) apps all seem to be available on my US Apple App Store account.

Unfortunately, we can expect more of these shenanigans until eSIM becomes more commonplace. If I were you, I’d just buy an iPhone with physical SIM slot in the meantime in order to avoid all these hassles.

jaytv111

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2007
I just found Vodafone Italy says to use a QR code to activate eSIM: https://www.vodafone.it/privati/are...estione-esim/come-scaricare-profilo-esim.html

Everyone who supports eSIM has to use a QR code to activate without needing an app, I believe. Your friend or friends are misinformed, understandable with new technologies though.

However, your phone could still be locked to AT&T, I would check that first just to be sure. eSIM is no different than physical SIM for locking, either can still be locked to a carrier.

I would probably call customer support if you can if you're not getting the answers you need.

And yes, I get the frustration of eSIM-only phones, I think they have some issues to iron out. But this is the first I've heard of eSIM not being allowed activation on a QR code, which I think is supposed to be the base option and the app activation is supposed to be an option for carriers to implement, not the other way around.

macf4n

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2022

yes... like the post above says.. they may have assumed you had to download & provision the esim through their carrier app & you'd need a local App Store account as some carrier apps aren't available outside of country specific App Store, & weren't aware/didn't know how to provision via QR code (or manual entry which is also possible).. If you have an address you could create an Italian App Store account to download the app, & then switch back to your regular App Store account (if there's an app update you'll just get prompted for the account name & password).

btw.. esim.net have an unlimited Italy plan for $25 for 30 days... might be worth a try. Site looks a little low-rent but I just bought my daughter a Vodafone plan for UK & it's working great!..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.