Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NatronB

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2002
A little background: I'm going back to school and moving a distance, so I want to keep the amount of stuff I bring down. With this in mind I'm running all my audio through my Mac Mini and a set of 4.1 Logitech Z-540 computer speakers. My question is whether or not I should run the Mini through a really nice Carver amplifier before they get to the speakers (via minijack).

I tried the latter set up and it sounded perhaps a little better, but it could just be in my head. I'm wondering when I move to my larger room at school I might notice a difference.

Am I just wasting my time? Any insight?

Thanks,

-N

e-clipse

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2006
Nashville,TN
I would think that the Carver amp may be overkill for the Logitech speakers since these speakers are self-powered. They are made to handle 40 watts total per channel, which is 20 watts rms per channel.

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
What's the point in running a lovely amp through some pants speakers?

Active speakers have a huge benefit over passive ones, that the amplifier is designed to make up for the speaker's shortcomings. I suspect that if you could drive the Logitech speakers with the Carver amp, it wouldn't sound as good.

If you want to use the Carver amp, then get yourself a really nice pair of hifi speakers, such as B&W DM303s. Best >£500 hifi speakers money can buy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.