Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rogercorke

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 9, 2011
I use Dropbox on all my Apple devices all the time. Now Dropbox want to charge a ridiculous £9.99 a month if you want to connect to more than three devices. Since I have a Macmini, MacBook Air, an iPad and an iPhone and I use Dropbox on all of them, it’s time to find a replacement. Any suggestions?

Specifically, I’m looking for the following:
- the ability to type a document in Word and then drop it straight into the Dropbox replacement without it reformatting. That seems to cut out Google Docs, which seems to reformat every document you drop into it and won’t let you use Autocorrect, which I use a lot for words and phrases I need in my line of work
- the ability to look back and download previously-saved versions of a document
- something which I can put in Finder so the interface with my Mac desktop is seamless.

I can do all this on Dropbox.

All suggestions for a lest costly alternative gratefully received.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Agreed. iCloud or OneDrive. You can get office 365 annually for fairly cheap. iCloud Drive is great too.

I use OneDrive for office 365 and word / excel.

Reactions: Apple_Robert

Lee_Bo

Cancelled
Mar 26, 2017
How much storage do you have on Dropbox? For $2.99 a month in getting 200 gigs of storage that sync over all of my devices :

0b34aa70fa77e270d00ebee8f7a17ef9.jpg

The only thing I can think of that may be an issue is viewing previously saved versions of files. If you need to view a file you saved last week you may needed to rename it when you save it.

AllergyDoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2013
Utah, USA
I moved 99% of my Dropbox files to iCloud. The only ones I didn’t move were files Scrivener uses to sync between my iPad and Mac. I also have the 200GB plan.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
How much storage do you have on Dropbox? For $2.99 a month in getting 200 gigs of storage that sync over all of my devices :

0b34aa70fa77e270d00ebee8f7a17ef9.jpg

The only thing I can think of that may be an issue is viewing previously saved versions of files. If you need to view a file you saved last week you may needed to rename it when you save it.
Check the OP again. Storage size isn’t the problem. It is the new policy that is the issue.

You need to update your Apple TV :p

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Lee_Bo

Cancelled
Mar 26, 2017
Check the OP again. Storage size isn’t the problem. It is the new policy that is the issue.

You need to update your Apple TV :p

Well, if they have more than 200 gigs of storage with Dropbox then the 200 gigs plan wouldn't work for them and they might have to go to the $9.99 month 2TB plan. That's where I was going with that.

And yes, I'm well aware of the new policy. As soon as it was announced I went to the $2.99 month iCloud plan.

And all my ATV's are updated. All version 4 running latest OS.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Well, if they have more than 200 gigs of storage with Dropbox then the 200 gigs plan wouldn't work for them and they might have to go to the $9.99 month 2TB plan. That's where I was going with that.

And yes, I'm well aware of the new policy. As soon as it was announced I went to the $2.99 month iCloud plan.

And all my ATV's are updated. All version 4 running latest OS.

Ah I read your Apple TV 2 as .... the actual Apple TV 2, not the second Apple TV 4 that you have. lol.

Reactions: Apple_Robert

rogercorke

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 9, 2011
If I go to iCloud, will it keep previous versions of a document like Dropbox does?

Sparxxx

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2009
if you care about security and privacy just go for Tresorit (Tresorit Premium for personal use). I use it for more than 2 years... best one out there but quite expensive.
They also offer a free tier which is very limited so you can have an idea.

Idgit

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2004
Check out pcloud.com. You get 10GB with the free plan and it supports automatic photo uploads from devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.