Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mr_jomo

Cancelled
Dec 9, 2018
There is a lot of beautiful music in the world, and Ani DiFranco in particular has brought a lot of beauty into my life, but this song has always stood out to me:

Amazing Grace already has so many beautiful renditions, I find it incredible that this 25 year old was able to create something so new and yet so timeless out of a 225 year old hymn at the same time she was bringing electric and punk into her own style.

It's complex, but never busy. Repetitive but always changing. A 7 minute exploration that shows us so many new angles of something we thought we already knew.
mind blown 🤩🤩🤩

Reactions: Analog Kid

Snow4maen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 7, 2021
A small island near Europe
Even though I was a proud Amiga owner, I loved all computers of the time. I loved the Atari ST also, the only thing I didn't like about it was that Atari had seen fit to put an 8 bit sound chip in a next gen 16 bit machine. Compared to the Amiga, the sound on the ST was poor. But there was much to like about it, build in MIDI ports. Boots to its OS without needing a boot disc. Power adapter was built in, not a brick like on the Amiga. And you could plug the tv right into the back, on the Amiga you had a huge clunky adapter. Also the ST had a reset button, if you wanted to reset the Amiga you had to turn it off and on again at the brick. I did love the look of the ST. But more than the standard ST the professional computers were lovely. I remember looking at the Amiga 2000 back in the day and it was not so good looking. But the Mega ST, or Mega STE, etc. They looked really nice. Even though I had no practical use for one, I kinda lusted after it.

Image.jpg

Snow4maen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 7, 2021
More retro fetish....I loved the design of the Sega Megadrive/Genesis. It's very appealing to me. I mean, just look at its volume slider, and how it so proudly advertises that it's 16-Bit! And the cartridges used to proudly announce they were 16-bit also!

Image 1.jpg

Snow4maen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 7, 2021
Even though I never used an Apple computer at the time, the 2c was possibly one of the nicest designed 8 bits I've seen. As much as I love the Commodore 64, Spectrum, Amstrad. Nothing looked as good as this Apple. I remember seeing it in the film, Explorers, with Ethan Hawke, and River Phoenix. It looked awesome!

Image 2.jpg

NoGood@Usernames

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2020
United States
And this is where my appreciation of visual beauty, and engineering practicality, collide and smash into bits.
The polished copper against the polished silver does look beautiful together. However, copper being the second-most-effective conductor of heat, is a terrible choice for a handle; you could only use this pan with a pot-holder. Maybe a good thing they’re so expensive, as that one is badly impractical.
Another impracticality: both silver and copper tarnish with exposure to air, eventually. I’d have to polish that pot a few times a year to keep it looking good; my tenor sax has brass/lacquered keywork which stays shiny, but the body is plated with silver. I have some special cloths impregnated with silver polish that clean it right up, but it’s a 3-evening process and there’s an Evil blue-steel, sharp wire spring under every key, and I lose a bit of blood every time I polish Her up.
Yes, that was my second thought after marveling it's appearance; the heat conductivity of that handle lol. There is also no doubt about the level of maintenance it would take to maintain that perfect look. You've hit those nails right on the head. 😀

Though I suppose this is the beauty appreciation thread, and not the practicality appreciation thread so we're in the right place! 🍻

Snow4maen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 7, 2021
Image 6.jpeg

Of course everyone will have their preference, perhaps you are into Fender, or Gibson, or PRS. But since the creation of the Stratocaster, possibly most famously championed by Jimi Hendrix. There have been offspring in terms of the super strat. Yamaha and Ibanez both make some super strats. Some guitars are geared to a particular function, you probably don’t want to use an ESP for country music. Perhaps a Telecaster is good for country, or blues? A Dean, good for metal. But there is one super strat I have dirty lustful thoughts for. When I started trying to learn guitar, on my squire telecaster, trying to play grunge and Joe Satriani! My limited funds would not let me get more appropriate guitars. Nothing against the Tele, for a cheap guitar it was great.

I find you need different guitars for different styles. My grunge kicks are dealt with by my squire mustang. But. I was introduced to a special guitarist who was technically very gifted. A student of an already very gifted guitarist, Joe Satriani. His name was Steve Vai. I have read about the long hours of practise he puts in, and I know you need to. While I hit a wall with my learning, I listened in awe of his skill. Hard to believe anyone can be so masterful. What is it with these Italian Americans, they are natural virtuosos. It is part skill, but also very hard graft. A passion, aren’t those Italians good at passion?

I have enjoyed and been in awe of Steve’s skill since I must have been about 16 years old. Tastes in music vary, but when you get such skill, I’d give it a go. I can remember all those years ago, looking at Steve’s guitar. It’s an Ibanez, and I’ve owned one, they are fantastic guitars. But this guitar is special. As far as super strats go, this is an uber strat. The Ibanez JEM.

Never been convinced that the handle cut out is really as useful as you’d think, but boy is this a super Strat. It’s a thing of beauty.

Last edited:
Reactions: JonnyMacx86

Snow4maen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 7, 2021
I think this is the best photo. I would give first place!
Probably profoundly so. There is no greater or more beautiful creative act than becoming a parent. There is nothing more valuable and important as human life. Being a parent is not just an act of love, but also the biggest responsibility any person can ever have. It is the future of us as a species, it is generous and responsible. Nothing of value will exist unless we do.

Snow4maen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 7, 2021
Image 9.jpeg

Bruce Lee

The beauty? In excellence.

Growing up in the 80s he was many people’s icon. Arguably the best martial artist ever. But why? Well I think some of it was natural talent, but it would be disrespectful to not recognise the extreme effort he put into physical training. He was determined and focused and a very hard worker. But he also had his own philosophy, he was not contained by style or tradition. One of his strength's was just a natural part of Kung Fu. To be flexible. To flow like water. No disrespect to Karate, but it is linear and less flexible. Bruce’s intense practise meant that he could hit more quickly, and harder than anyone else. Check the one inch punch, and two finger press ups.

Ironically at the time the Chinese authorities were critical of him as he was not traditional. But I would think he is now recognised as one of their greatest assets.

I can’t speak for the efficacy of Jeet Kune Do. But his dedication to excellence makes him formidable. Who would want to fight him? Of any style? Can you move that fast and hit that hard. No.

He was dynamic and intelligent, and could hit like a tank. When anyone pushes the limits of physical fitness like this, it deserves respect.

Snow4maen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 7, 2021
The Language Of The Universe - Mathematics.

When I was at school, they tried, and tried, and then gave up trying to teach me maths. It was decided that I was beyond stupid and should just be ignored. While I can’t claim to be intelligent, I’m not quite stupid. I’ve latterly come to be diagnosed with dyslexia, and I strongly suspect I have undiagnosed dyscalculia. I’m never going to be good at maths, and I would be pleased to just get my secondary school qualification. However that does not mean I need to be ignorant. I look at this quote from Einstein and laugh. I don’t think he knew about dyscalculia.

You may or may not subscribe to the concept of God. Dirac here seems to find God in mathematics.

The British philosopher Bertrand Russell did some epic work on maths, not quite sure what he was doing, possibly the logical underpinnings? There is a lot of logic in philosophy, or at least in analytical philosophy. But it was something Russell said that I thought was special. He made a comment on how once you can appreciate the dynamics of mathematics to a high enough level, it can be as aesthetically pleasing as listening to music. I think I will stick to music! But of course mathematics is not just useful, it’s also beautiful. I wish I were gifted enough to experience this.

I’ll just stick to Frank Sinatra!

Image.jpg
Image 3.jpg
Image 2.jpg

Reactions: Flowstates

Snow4maen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 7, 2021
Life, the Universe and Everything…..

Probably most people have seen some images of our Galaxy, our planets and moons, etc. Personally I find these images very beautiful. Just look at the planets and how different they are to each other and how pretty they are. And contrast that with the fact that you really wouldn’t want to live on any of them!

Contemplating the universe for me is almost religious, but of course not everyone has a religion. And I’m sure people would say, if we found little green men, what would that mean for your faith? Well, the way I see it, my faith is a covenant between humanity and God, little green men don’t need it, don’t require it and my relationship with God does not negate the possibility of life out there somewhere.

I’m still not sure if we know if the universe is infinite or finite, and if it’s finite, where does it end and what’s beyond that? I find it hard to comprehend infinity, but then my mind is not so good. All we know is finite. But if it is true that the universe is infinite, surely somewhere out there, there will be a planet with just the right qualities and distance from a sun that it could allow life to develop? Maybe it’s just fundamental, bacteria, etc.

I’ll remain open minded about alien visits. It’s fun to think about it, but to me, seems unlikely. Extraterrestrial life is either basic, or it would be so advanced it would know very well to leave us alone.

Thinking of the universe, it’s inspirational, not only because it stirs a sense of awe in us, but also because it’s very beautiful. But it’s also about human aspiration. Its truly mind-blowing that back in 1969 they could put people on our moon. With such basic technology.

Its interesting and important to find out and learn about our universe. But it pushes human achievement to an arguably higher level than any other pursuit. In this it is a noble pursuit. But also practical, if we can’t get a grip on the damage we are doing to this planet, we may need another one! I’m not so sure I want to live on Mars, but we may need to move!

I honestly think in time we will find life elsewhere, this will be an amazing discovery even if that life is very basic.

I’ve enjoyed Sci Fi for years, all that contemplating the existence of Martians, etc. Back in the 60’s. To 80’s films like Alien. And of course Star Trek. I’m no Trekkie, but I’m aware that there are philosophical themes in Star Trek, how does our existence and understanding compare to life that is totally different to us? And can we appropriately appreciate something so different to us?

The universe is inspirational, it’s beautiful. It drives us forward, and gives us hope. And allows us to dream. But we might be on the best planet in the entire universe, so perhaps we should be more careful with it!

Earth Image Smaller.jpg

Reactions: heretiq

Snow4maen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 7, 2021
The Good.

I only have a very basic understanding of philosophy. I’m lazy and not bright enough to take it seriously, but my experience has been very enjoyable. It’s a big subject in total. But even though there is lots across the subject that is valuable, for me, my greatest affinity is the the ancient Greeks.

There was something uniquely valuable about their society that latterly our experience has been fundamentally different. Each era and society affects the content of our thinking in a big way. Look at thinking in the Enlightenment, or the situation with the proto Existentialists like Nietzsche.

Greek thinking was very noble, and for this I appreciate it. I’m not well read on Socrates or Plato, as valuable as they were. There is only one philosopher for me, Aristotle. My tutor for my A level said he was boring, he preferred Hume. But even if Aristotle was dry, it’s the content that counts.

Often people dismiss philosophy as useless, they never make their minds up, they never reach a conclusion. But ironically if it were not for Aristotle, we wouldn’t have science. Even though he got a lot wrong, which is forgivable. He started it all off. So philosophy has been practical at least once. But the Greeks didn’t just write about science, they cared about poetry, and drama too. But most interestingly they asked about our purpose, and what if anything is ‘good’.

I suppose they all had their particular take, but wisdom was valued universally by the Greeks. My experience is with Aristotle, specifically The Nicomachean Ethics.

Basically Aristotle tried to examine what is ‘good’ about anything in particular, and ties it’s value into it’s unique function and how well that thing performs it. For example, a good hammer, hammers nails in well, and reliably. He gives all sorts of examples but then moves on to what is special about us, humans. He argues that only we have the ability to think and analyse very well, no other species, animals, etc. Can do this as well as we can. So our peculiar function is to philosophise. And in this contemplation we will find true happiness, or Eudaimonia.

But we’ve got to consider it in it’s context. This is ancient Greece. There were no higher status individuals than the philosophers, what Aristotle concludes is typical for his time. But is he right? Well are philosophy students/teachers more happy than the rest of us? Not necessarily, sometimes all that thinking can make things worse. Too much thinking can bring you down.

We may be good at thinking, but we are not just thinking machines. We are human. While progress in science and technology is extremely useful, no human is going to be satisfied stuck in a lab. Humans need love. While not necessarily as practical as the pursuit of knowledge, it’s the only way we can be truly happy. To experience love, to be in love, to love each other.

The Beatles had it right, all you need is love. We can think about all the various moral systems philosophy gives us. Utilitarianism, Deontology, virtue ethics. Etc. But there are big fundamental problems with all of them. For example utilitarianism could justify killing an innocent person, if the results benefit more people, it’s all about maximising the good. But could we ever justify this? Kant would say no. Not under any circumstances. But he has his problems too.

I’ve always wondered about how the various moral philosophers justified their authority to dictate morality to the rest of us. Isn’t it a little pompous?

Wether you are a believer or not, the Christian ethical system teaches us to love each other equally, for me it has authority that no philosopher can match in that it is given to us by none other than God. But if you don’t believe in that, the basic rule of thumb is just to love each other as brothers. More complicated ethical issues aside, leave them to the theologians and academics. For my money, if you want to be happy. Just fall in love with everything.

Image 3.jpg

Snow4maen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 7, 2021
Things of beauty - German Castles.

I’ve never seen any country do castles as well as Germany, practical considerations aside. Like how well they would fair under attack? But from a purely aesthetic appreciation, just look at them!

I believe Walt Disney took inspiration from them.

German Castle.jpg

Reactions: oldBCguy and DaPhox

Snow4maen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 7, 2021
The ZX Spectrum

Invented by Sir Clive Sinclair, a British inventor. And released in 1982, this simple 8-bit computer was never really properly available in America. But in the UK it held a special place in people’s hearts. It was affordable, and surprisingly versatile.

It didn’t take long for technology to move on, soon it would be competing with the likes, here in the UK, of the Commodore 64 and Amstrad CPC. Both had better graphics. But often, the games were better on the ‘speccy’ and there were more of them. It had several revamps and iterations later on. Eventually Amstrad bought it, and it was released in a similar style to the Amstrad, with built in disc/tape deck and a better keyboard.

But this is where it started. The original rubber keyed, 48k. There was an entry level 16k one, but the 48k was the most popular.

Behold it’s beauty!

Image 5.jpg

Snow4maen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 7, 2021
Here in England, traditionally we have ‘pubs’. These are what were the old coaching houses, where people could stop and get something to drink and eat on a journey.

When I lived in Scotland, I realised that they don’t really do ‘pub’s, they do bars. And there are many fine examples. But it was when I was in Ireland that I saw the most pretty bars. We were in Wicklow, but anywhere in Ireland the bars are special.

There are some pretty pubs/bars in London, but they are not typical of the rest of the country.

Irish bars are special all over Ireland, perhaps no more so than in Dublin?

Dublin Ireland Bar.jpg

Snow4maen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 7, 2021
The importance of making human connections in difficult times.

When I was in a psychiatric hospital, I was in a very bad way. I had lost all hope, my mind was very broken. It was a constant state of fear and desperation. Total chaos.

I met a few people in there, some were so poorly you couldn’t interact with them. But there was one bloke who was a bit special, unfortunately it was a long time ago and I can’t remember his name, which is a shame. My friend was just about the only person on my ward that was actually quite cheery. He looked approachable.

I don’t know how I got talking to him, but I was to discover his story. Apparently the German SS were after him, because he knew the location of some hidden Nazi gold. He told me that there was nothing inside any of us apart from wire wool and cogs. He argued with the psychiatrist about her qualifications and told her she was a quack. His flights of fancy were very creative, and on reflection I probably shouldn’t have laughed at some of them, but they were very amusing. It was the only fun I had there, listening to his amazingly mad and creative mental flights of fancy.

He reasoned quickly, according to him, he was a trained engineer, he went to a good university. I wonder where it all went wrong?

He told me about his flat mate above him stomping about in military boots in the middle of the night. Everything he told me was done very matter of fact, he seemed to enjoy it. I shouldn’t presume his mental state, he may have been quite troubled. But he seemed content and happy. I really enjoyed talking to him, it may have been madness, but it was very creative and often amusing.

One day, we went to the computer room, and we were looking at You Tube, he said he wanted to see some Carry Grant videos, I suppose it was of his era. I found this innocence so very endearing.

I don’t think I ever had a sane conversation with him, it was all madness, but madness cheerily delivered, that was entertaining. Even with this in mind, I enjoyed his company and his stories, I had a human connection with him. In all this horror, strangely his madness was enjoyable. Its a shame he was so ill, I would assume he was schizophrenic. He was a lovely chap. I liked him a lot.

One Flew.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.