Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidjm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2018
I'm now in Terminal mode, with the idea of freeing up a few more Gb's and trying to continue the update, but have very little idea about Unix commands and also don't want to delete any system data. I would like to try and remove only user data which does not affect the update.
Would appreciate any info on how best to target this data. Also how can I show available free space from the terminal prompt.
Thanks for any help

davidjm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2018
Hi, After rummaging around for a couple of days in Terminal and Shell just looking around without doing anything 'cause didn't have clue what to do. I restarted in restore mode, selected Disk Utility > First Aid, that checked out OK. Then selected Reinstall macOS Big Sur and instead of sitting in front of the screen waiting for the error I went of and meditated for a couple of hours on a successful outcome to the Big Sur update, and now the mac that gave the error and informed me that it was now only good as a storage device is again fully functioning mac air book with mac os Big Sur.
Guess this isn't very professional advice (and probably doesn't belong here) but it worked for me!
They say the outcome of an observed event is different from the same event unobserved - go figure!

Reactions: IngoX

IngoX

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2022
Sweden
On the contrary, every step above from restart in restore mode to the meditation was a very professional approach! 👍

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.