Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mark Booth

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
I'm still on iOS 5. At this point, I have no intention to "upgrade" to iOS 6. But Apple could make one simple change that would make me happy to upgrade. And that is, let the USER choose which Maps app is the "default" Maps app.

Why is this important to me? Well, my wife and I like to take road trips. When we do, we frequently shun the interstates and take the roads less traveled. Sometimes these trips are with groups of friends, all driving in their own cars. A large group of people means we frequently need to have a route and overnight destinations planned in advance.

So, it's common for me to use Google Maps on the web (via the browser on my Mac) to plan our route for each day. Again, these routes are almost never via the "quickest way from point A to point B" types of routes (which is what all turn-by-turn navigation devices default to). So, once I plan a day's travel on Google Maps, I can then create a link (URL) for that custom route.

If I send that link (URL) to my iPhone (or iPad)....

Under iOS 5, clicking the link will open the Apple Maps app that is powered by Google data. There will be my custom route, complete with the ability to step-by-step navigation. Granted, no voice navigation, but at least the custom link is useable on the iPhone under iOS 5.

Under iOS 6, clicking the link opens Safari. That's it. No step-by-step navigation. Even if Google's Maps app is installed, clicking the custom link won't launch that app. And there's no way to import that custom link into Google's Maps app.

This is a custom mapping capability I have been using for some time on my iPhone under iOS 5. If I upgrade to iOS 6, I lose it.

Mark

Troneas

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
At the alternatives section.
if it was that important to you why didn't you fix this two months ago?

jailbreaking is free, and so are the two tweaks that make google maps the default maps app - maps opener and browser changer.

it would have taken 30 mins of your time.

Furifo

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2010
Interesting use of Google Maps. I can understand your frustration at Apple for not allowing the user to choose their own default apps.

I think you should jailbreak and install the tweaks mentioned above. If you don't want to jailbreak, is there any possibility of you or your wife picking up an Android phone? I feel that using Google's own OS together with their own mapping service will make your life alot easier and your journeys much more enjoyable.

A final point - A downside of your solution is that if your iPhone breaks and needs a replacement from the Apple store, you may get one that is preloaded with iOS 6 with no way to go back to iOS 5. I hope you don't get placed in that situation but it is just something to bear in mind...

aPple nErd

macrumors 68030
Feb 12, 2012
Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks
I'm still on iOS 5. At this point, I have no intention to "upgrade" to iOS 6. But Apple could make one simple change that would make me happy to upgrade. And that is, let the USER choose which Maps app is the "default" Maps app.

Why is this important to me? Well, my wife and I like to take road trips. When we do, we frequently shun the interstates and take the roads less traveled. Sometimes these trips are with groups of friends, all driving in their own cars. A large group of people means we frequently need to have a route and overnight destinations planned in advance.

So, it's common for me to use Google Maps on the web (via the browser on my Mac) to plan our route for each day. Again, these routes are almost never via the "quickest way from point A to point B" types of routes (which is what all turn-by-turn navigation devices default to). So, once I plan a day's travel on Google Maps, I can then create a link (URL) for that custom route.

Under iOS 5, clicking the link will open the Apple Maps app that is powered by Google data. There will be my custom route, complete with the ability to step-by-step navigation. Granted, no voice navigation, but at least the custom link is useable on the iPhone under iOS 5.

Under iOS 6, clicking the link opens Safari. That's it. No step-by-step navigation. Even if Google's Maps app is installed, clicking the custom link won't launch that app. And there's no way to import that custom link into Google's Maps app.

This is a custom mapping capability I have been using for some time on my iPhone under iOS 5. If I upgrade to iOS 6, I lose it.

Mark

Thumbs up for being on iOS 5! my fav os yet. can i ask what device?

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
I'm hopeful that Jony Ive will address this issue with iOS 7. My logic is that any app that Apple has approved to be in the App Store in the first place should be able to be set as the default app for a task by the end-user. I hope Jony Ive agrees.

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
Apple Maps also lacks the avoid highways/tolls options for navigation. This is a feature a lot of people use.

bigcstyle4

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2012
Even if Google's Maps app is installed, clicking the custom link won't launch that app.

They recently added a button on the Google Maps mobile website that says "Always open in Google Maps app." Basically whenever you click a link that takes you anywhere on maps.google.com it will launch the app instead. I've been doing this for at least 2 weeks now. Not sure if it will load your custom routes properly but any normal link will open.

Mark Booth

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
Thumbs up for being on iOS 5! my fav os yet. can i ask what device?

iPhone 4S.

Mark

----------

They recently added a button on the Google Maps mobile website that says "Always open in Google Maps app." Basically whenever you click a link that takes you anywhere on maps.google.com it will launch the app instead. I've been doing this for at least 2 weeks now. Not sure if it will load your custom routes properly but any normal link will open.

Thanks!! I'll get together with a friend who has iOS 6 installed and give it a try!

Mark

Krash11554

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2012

Mark

I am curious if this new update to the gmail app solves you problem.

What’s New in Version 2.2.7182

- YouTube, Google Maps and Chrome links go directly to the app instead of the mobile web, if installed. You can turn this off using the in-app settings.

- Added support for signing out of a single account instead of having to sign out of all accounts at once.

Could you now just install the gmail app, email the map link from your computer to your gmail account. Read the email in the app, click the link, and it should open in the googlemaps app?

http://9to5mac.com/2013/05/06/gmail...port-for-youtube-google-maps-chrome-and-more/

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
Yeah, I live in NYC and almost everyone gets around by subways and buses rather than private cars. It would be a relatively simple matter for Apple to add all the station stops on their maps of the city--but of course they haven't yet. I use Google maps almost exclusively and find myself doing a lot of cutting and pasting of street addresses.

And yes, I would rather do that than jailbreak. I just prefer not to have to wait months for the newest versions of iOS to be cracked before I can update.

ericg301

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2010
Google Maps is useless on iOS for long trips until they fix the "auto dim" bug.

Apple Maps is useless for me as long as it continues to avoid toll roads.

dotyfbp

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2013
That's how it goes in a closed Eco system.
6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Apple Maps also lacks the avoid highways/tolls options for navigation. This is a feature a lot of people use.

Actually, it tells you if tolls are present on the primary route when issued allowing you to simply select an alternate route option on the same screen. :)

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
Actually, it tells you if tolls are present on the primary route when issued allowing you to simply select an alternate route option on the same screen. :)

Sure. But what happens when you go off the route? Having preset options for avoid highways and tolls is a must for me.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Sure. But what happens when you go off the route? Having preset options for avoid highways and tolls is a must for me.

While I would like that and more features as well, I'm not sure why anyone would expect a phone to completely replace a full functioning GPS unit?

Any phone service or app that does do that is either trying to sell more hardware or has ads associated with their app.

spyguy10709

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
One Infinite Loop, Cupertino CA
i'm still on ios 5. At this point, i have no intention to "upgrade" to ios 6. But apple could make one simple change that would make me happy to upgrade. And that is, let the user choose which maps app is the "default" maps app.

Why is this important to me? Well, my wife and i like to take road trips. When we do, we frequently shun the interstates and take the roads less traveled. Sometimes these trips are with groups of friends, all driving in their own cars. A large group of people means we frequently need to have a route and overnight destinations planned in advance.

So, it's common for me to use google maps on the web (via the browser on my mac) to plan our route for each day. Again, these routes are almost never via the "quickest way from point a to point b" types of routes (which is what all turn-by-turn navigation devices default to). So, once i plan a day's travel on google maps, i can then create a link (url) for that custom route.

If i send that link (url) to my iphone (or ipad)....

Under ios 5, clicking the link will open the apple maps app that is powered by google data. There will be my custom route, complete with the ability to step-by-step navigation. Granted, no voice navigation, but at least the custom link is useable on the iphone under ios 5.

Under ios 6, clicking the link opens safari. That's it. No step-by-step navigation. Even if google's maps app is installed, clicking the custom link won't launch that app. And there's no way to import that custom link into google's maps app.

This is a custom mapping capability i have been using for some time on my iphone under ios 5. If i upgrade to ios 6, i lose it.

Mark

<oldnews>

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.