Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Leica Dad

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 28, 2017
I am thinking about to get a small vlogging camera for daily use, maybe even some quick video b-roll and stuff.
I already ordered the iPhone X/10 of course, it will be my daily driver and don't really want to mix it with youtube use.

Here is the list of cameras I am considering:
1. iPhone 8. small, light, easy to put on gimbal(smooth Q). Does 4K/60FPS, Slow-mo at 1080P 240 FPS.
2. Go Pro Hero 6, super small, can use with smooth-Q with adapter. Does 4K/60FPS, Slow-mo at 1080P 240 FPS.
3. Sony RX100 V, or maybe wait for the VI since they V has overheating issue.
4. Sony A6500, will need to buy lens to go with, also need to buy a gimbal which is not cheap.

Any suggestion? thanks

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
With vlogging the camera is way less important than the content.

Get into it as inexpensively as possible and upgrade as needed from there.

Reactions: Leica Dad

Diorama

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2017

I’m assuming with a name like ‘Leica Dad’ that inexpensive cameras aren’t really his thing ;)

Reactions: Leica Dad

Leica Dad

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 28, 2017
Or maybe a second iPhone 10 with 64gb?
I thought about that, but will mostly likely only need the wideangle lens. Unless the front facing Camera on the 10 is really good then it might make sense.
[doublepost=1509196318][/doublepost]
the iPhone 7 and 8 have great cameras - so they'd both be fine.
I have the 7 Plus now, it’s heavy and bulky for the gamble. I tried the 8 plus for a while and loved the camera and color rendering.
[doublepost=1509196380][/doublepost]
Do you have to have 4k @ 60 frames?
It will be good for some broll to slow down and make it smooth.
[doublepost=1509196544][/doublepost]

I agree, the 7 plus is just too big for the quality it produce. Maybe sell it and get a 64gb 8, that way I will only have to pay a little more.
[doublepost=1509196692][/doublepost]
I’m assuming with a name like ‘Leica Dad’ that inexpensive cameras aren’t really his thing ;)
Lol
I believe in over price photography gears only :p
Leica for Vlogging? Not a bad idea, maybe once the Q can do 4k.

Applemacfan

Suspended
Sep 26, 2017
There aren’t many small cameras today can handle 4k @60. Are there any rumors about he RX100 next gen? It has 1 inch sensor and will have better image result than the iPhone or GoPro.

Leica Dad

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 28, 2017
There aren’t many small cameras today can handle 4k @60. Are there any rumors about he RX100 next gen? It has 1 inch sensor and will have better image result than the iPhone or GoPro.
I’m not sure, the speculation is Sony might release it before the end of the year.
There is also the overheating issue that I worry on the Sony. This is something I know iphone will do better due to the smaller sensor and more powerful processors

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.