Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Original poster
I realize that MR is not specifically a photography forum per se, and that discussions about photos and display/sharing of photos in the digital photography section is just part of the overall composition of MR, but.....

Is there a way that you could implement the automatic display of EXIF information under photographs shared on MR? I have seen this done on other forums (true, they are devoted to photography in the first place, where this information is all the more valuable and appreciated). I think it's an add-on, an extension of some sort, probably takes some tinkering and maybe a bit of coin to implement, but it could be so cool and so useful to the photographers who participate on MR!

Just a suggestion, as of course it is also possible (and actually recommended) that members posting in the digital photography forum and sharing their images provide the EXIF info themselves at the time of putting their image out there to the community for view....but all too often that doesn't happen, it is all too easy to forget to do that or the EXIF data isn't readily at hand at the time of posting.

Tossing this idea out there to you, Arn, and the other admins to do with as you see fit..... :)

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I don’t have any specific objection to it.

however I don’t know if EXIF is preserved right now. For a long time we supported full res original images but we now do resize due to the size of images coming straight out of iPhones. The resizing alone may strip the EXIF data. Let me research it a little

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Original poster
Thanks, Arn! I don't know what software or apps might be used in the other forums where I also hang out, nor do I know the specific requirements with regard to particular apps and under which situations they work. Resizing may be a problem but I just don't know.....

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I would assume the raw data is embedded in to the file and it would not matter if the picture was resized.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
An option that balances space constraints for the servers and retains EXIF would be preferable. DPR can be studied for how they do it to balance both, if they do.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I don't have a problem with the file sizes... it's just a matter of in-thread embeds that can get out of hand. ideally, we would scale for embeds but retain original files, but that's not how the system works out of the box.
[automerge]1575342435[/automerge]
I would assume the raw data is embedded in to the file and it would not matter if the picture was resized.
When the image is resized, basically a new image is created, and the data gets stripped.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
I do like the idea of inline EXIF if possible.

I use EXIF viewer, and use to be able to reliably read everything provided it wasn't stripped pre-upload. Reading through the December Photo of the Day thread, I was only able to pull it on one photo.

Just as an experiment, I'm attaching a photo here that I know should have intact data at least at the time of upload, but also resized to ~2000 pixels long dimension. This is as much for my experimenting as anything.

Attachments

• _DSC3106-1web.jpg
    _DSC3106-1web.jpg
    830.3 KB · Views: 201

Turnpike

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2011
New York City!
I like this idea..... especially as I get more into photography, or at least taking better pictures. 90% of the reason I update my phone every time is for the better camera, and while I'd never sign up to a photography site, if I ever did have questions about anything photo related, since I'd probably take the picture with my phone, THIS is the site I'd come to first. An investment in the photography interests of this site would make a lot of sense to me too. I bet phones (especially iPhones) are going to be taking probably 75%+ of all photos within a few years, if they don't already.

iAssimilated

Contributor
Apr 29, 2018
the PNW
I just bought an entry level Nikon DSLR in my venture to get back into photography and I would love to see this idea come to fruition. I would definitely feel more comfortable asking for advise on this site than a professional photography forum (although not oppose to it if I had to).

Speaking of which, does anyone have any recommendations on a good photography forum for beginners wanting to get back into the craft? I took photography classes in high school, so I am not a complete beginner, but that was a long time ago and it was with actual film.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Original poster
I just bought an entry level Nikon DSLR in my venture to get back into photography and I would love to see this idea come to fruition. I would definitely feel more comfortable asking for advise on this site than a professional photography forum (although not oppose to it if I had to).

Speaking of which, does anyone have any recommendations on a good photography forum for beginners wanting to get back into the craft? I took photography classes in high school, so I am not a complete beginner, but that was a long time ago and it was with actual film.

A very good, friendly and thoughtful photography forum is Nikon Cafe. http://nikoncafe.com It welcomes everyone from beginners to professionals, and the majority are somewhere in-between. People shoot wildlife and birds, landscapes and macros, portraits and more..... A few participants still shoot with film, although the majority use digital cameras. Although the site is called Nikon Cafe and was originally started by a couple of long-time Nikon users, there are members who have more than one system (say, Nikon plus maybe an m4/3 setup) and there are those who may have been long-time Nikon users who have over the last couple of years or so switched to another brand but who are still very much welcome at the Cafe (I've recently fallen into that category).

People are courteous and polite to each other there, and that has always been a standard upheld there. None of this "RTFM" ["read the f...manual"] rudeness that is sometimes seen on other photography sites when someone asks a perfectly innocent and serious question. We talk about gear, too, of course, and there are discussions about specific lenses and what is good or not-so-good about them, and we also discuss computers, printers and all the other stuff most of us find necessary in our use of technology. There is a subforum for Apple computers and another for Windows.

One thing which is useful for beginners or anyone, actually, yes, is the ability to see the EXIF info when someone posts an image online. Nikon Cafe does do this, as does DPR (Digital Photography Review). It can be especially useful when considering what lens(es) to buy, as when someone posts you can see the lens used and the settings, etc., giving an idea of what that lens can do and the types of situations in which it is used.

Check Nikon Cafe out! :)

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016

I belong to a site called ClickinMoms.com which, despite the name, actually has a few men. It is a paid site but there are oodles of tutorials and they also offer classes beyond that. They have beginners all the way up to nationally known pros.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.