Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brianellisrules

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2003
Hey, I have an image map setup with several "onmouseover" javascript commands that activate pop up menus. The thing is, these menus will be added to quite often and already my javascript header is getting massive. Is there a way to setup a database file so that on a mouseover on a certain area, it'll bring up values from a database to populate the menu(s) with?

Here's what I have: http://www.brianellisrules.com/stickers/

Each of the towns listed for a particular state are all listed in the header portion of the page. It's getting pretty bulky. What I'd like to do is have a database file with all the info that the script will access to bring up the values.

Is there a downside to using a database (if possible) for this? If so, is there a better way?

Thanks!

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
A DB could definitely help out, but...

Personally, I think you should rethink the image maps, since they are bad for accessibility. The long rollovers are tricky, too, since they can flow off the bottom of the screen.

I'd recommend doing something simpler like this: http://www.apple.com/retail/

Not as fun, but more functional.

brianellisrules

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2003
Hmmm, ok, pretend I have a mac now and answer the question... :D

I hear ya though. The alternate method didn't look very fun at all unfortunately. This is definitely a novelty thing anyway though.

Is there a way to make the long listing (i.e. New Jersey) break down into 2 or more columns?

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
To be honest, I don't do a whole lot with javascript, so I can't give you something off the top of my head.

You can probably do it manually (i.e. make a modified js that loads 2 columns for the more prolific states.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.