Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HunterCupp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 13, 2014
Columbus, OH
Hello all,

Not entirely sure as to what this will entail, but I know that I personally enjoy reading through threads similar to this.

As a collector, I often email various local schools or other places that were known to have older Apple/IBM/etc model computers in hopes that they're willing to part with whatever they're comfortable with. Whether it be charitable or for a price is completely up to them. I'm usually greeted with bad news and told that all of their older machines were recycled or they simply don't know, but sometimes I get lucky and snag a couple IIe's or IBM machines.

Earlier this week, I exchanged some emails with the principal of a high school about half an hour away from my town asking about any older computers that were to be discarded or were just sitting. I wasn’t very hopeful, but I got a reply that intrigued me.

*poorly made email recreation*
_______________________________________________________________________________________

John Smith
to me

Most of our old computers have been recycled, but I do have an interesting Apple in storage that you might be interested in. Let me know if you would be interested or not.

John Smith
HS Principal

_______________________________________________________________________________________
*name censored for privacy*

“An interesting Apple”

Hm…

I’m used to being given a little more detail, but I didn’t think much of it & passed it off. I’d generally ask questions, but this time I thought I’d just take the offer & keep the actual identity of the “interesting Apple” a mystery.

The wording he chose was of course more than likely simply because he didn’t know much about the computer rather than it being some mythical never-before-seen Apple machine, but it’s still fun to pretend.

Whatever it is, it’s currently expected to be in his office Thursday this week. If it’s on time, I’ll be picking it up same-day.

I’m expecting a Macintosh or Apple II series model computer.

--I’ll update this thread when I go to pick it up.

Reactions: rafark

Krayzkat

Suspended
Apr 22, 2011
It's probably just an apple. Don't know what could make it interesting, although 'interesting' is subjective.

HunterCupp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 13, 2014
Columbus, OH
UPDATE--

Went to the school and picked it up. Turned out to be a pretty dirty iMac G4 w/Apple Keyboard, a little baggie filled with screws, & a note. No cables or speakers. I'm assuming the hard drive was removed going by the note & screws. It could use some love.

I was expecting something older, but it was something nonetheless, so I'm happy. I'll check it out in more detail & update again if I find anything interesting or someone requests anything specific.

The secretary at the front desk that guided me to the office it was placed in had told me she had administered their computer room some 15 or so years ago & it was filled with at least a dozen Bondi Blue iMac G3's. It's a shame they weren't still there to take :(
IMG_4775.jpg IMG_4776.jpg

Last edited:

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
Well, not as old as I was expecting, but still a nice freebie.

DO NOT power it up without the heatsink transfer compound renewed and those long screws fitted. It can be fairly easy to fry the CPU without them, even though the service manual says you can do it.

Plug the serial number into the search box here to determine the model:

https://support.apple.com/specs

HunterCupp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 13, 2014
Columbus, OH
Well, not as old as I was expecting, but still a nice freebie.

DO NOT power it up without the heatsink transfer compound renewed and those long screws fitted. It can be fairly easy to fry the CPU without them, even though the service manual says you can do it.

Plug the serial number into the search box here to determine the model:

https://support.apple.com/specs
MacTech68,

Gotcha--

No thermal paste on hand sadly, but it's fairly cheap so it isn't an issue.
The longer screws don't seem to want to fit back into place, but a single one of the four are already screwed in and after removing it, it seems to screw back in just fine.
I'm not sure what's with the other three but I'm gonna stay safe and assume force isn't the solution.

Model Number: M6498
800MHz/256MB/60HD

Reactions: MacTech68

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
That model covers several types, but at 800Mhz (and 15" flat panel), it's likely a PowerMac4,2

Models manufactured before week 3 of 2003 can natively boot OS9 - after which it will only boot from OS X.

Serial numbers beginning XX303 or later can't boot from OS9 - the serial number is on the back of the white optical drive door.

If you haven't already, google "imac.flatpanel.pdf". You'll find all you need to identify screws in the last few pages, as well as other take apart instructions.

HunterCupp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 13, 2014
Columbus, OH
That model covers several types, but at 800Mhz (and 15" flat panel), it's likely a PowerMac4,2

Models manufactured before week 3 of 2003 can natively boot OS9 - after which it will only boot from OS X.

Serial numbers beginning XX303 or later can't boot from OS9 - the serial number is on the back of the white optical drive door.

If you haven't already, google "imac.flatpanel.pdf". You'll find all you need to identify screws in the last few pages, as well as other take apart instructions.

MacTech68,

Thanks for the info :D--
Will do some work in my free time to clean it up & show it some care. I absolutely love finding machines that really need it.

Reactions: MacTech68

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
MacTech68,

Gotcha--

No thermal paste on hand sadly, but it's fairly cheap so it isn't an issue.
The longer screws don't seem to want to fit back into place, but a single one of the four are already screwed in and after removing it, it seems to screw back in just fine.
I'm not sure what's with the other three but I'm gonna stay safe and assume force isn't the solution.

Model Number: M6498
800MHz/256MB/60HD

It sounds as if yours is one of the USB1 models. Be very careful when re-assembling, you are correct, force is not the solution - especially on any of those 4 lower case retaining bolts. If any restriction is felt during re-tightening, it's possible that one of the inner cables or mating electrical receptacle is responsible, worst case scenario is that a wire or even several can be pinched and severely damaged. (There is a 'floating' plug connector between the logic board and upper unit which does create some resistance during disassembly/re-assembly). I always ensure that the lower case is located and abutts the upper case rim, insert the 4 bolts, and then run down finger-tight as far as possible. Once you start to tighten the bolts with a T15 Torx, do so gradually one at a time ensuring that the lower case is pulled in, in equal amounts.
Note: the later USB2 models do not have the connector receptacle at the interface, therefore re-installation is slightly easier.
The iMac G4 'Sunflower' is amongst my top 3 most favorite Macs of all time. I have the first model PowerMac4,2 and PowerMac4,5 which were 15" & 17" respectively. Also the more usable USB2 models PowerMac 6,1 & 6,3 the latter of which sports the now scarce magnificent 20" screen. At 1.2GHz and with Ram memory maxed at 2GB, its's one of the most usable PowerPc's in my collection. Once obtained, a keeper forever!

Below: My 20" G4 iMac.
iMacG4 20in.jpg

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.