Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
I'm not hating on the playstation (now that I'm on xbox), but this YT has some interesting points

I really don't know what will be the result, but it seems in Japan, Nintendo is eating Sony's lunch and so far here, people are talking about the strength of Microsoft's subscription service.

Reactions: Macalicious2011

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
Console's are defined by 3-5 exclusive games. Playstation just need to deliver a few blockbuster that the fan base expect and the PS5 will be fine.

However Gamepass is a massive threat because it will disrupt the gaming industry. It will change how consumers think about gaming and how and where studios want to publish their games.

Reactions: madeirabhoy

TopherMan12

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2019
Atlanta, GA
That is a bit hyperbolic. Japan moved on from PlayStation long before Sony did anything. Nintendo simply dominates the gaming scene there. I'm really not very surprised with what they are doing with Days Gone as I found that game to be completely average at best. Other than that and downsizing of Japan Studio, nothing has changed. The studios that made all those GOTY winners are still there doing what they do. Sounds like a winning formula to me.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Gotta agree with Macalicious.

PlayStation has always had a popularity dominance, because they have games like the ‘Last of us, Spiderman, Horizon Zero Dawn, Death stranding, Uncharted, the list goes on. Those are all major titles that basically set the precedent for other developers moving forward. Game pass is still a bit premature to see where this all leads, and being that the gaming industry is changing more than ever, we won’t know until probably the next year at minimum or longer.

(BTW, I didn’t watch the video, not really necessary in this respect.)

crzdcolombian

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
Xbox doesn't exist outside of the US. Until other regions buy it. It's pretty much dead.

I mean I can care either way I can afford all the consoles at the same time and have since the game station X. Gamecube, PS2 and Xbox :)

Each console generation I end up buying all of them and then selling them. Honestly I don't like Xbox controller and the fact it needs batteries. I am more of an adventure/story mode player and those games are on Playstation.

Fallout/Elder Scrolls are a Xbox exclusive or timed exclusive.... I will buy a Xbox. Until then..... Halo isn't enough for me to pay $500 to play. That really the only Xbox exclusive I liked

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
Gotta agree with Macalicious.

PlayStation has always had a popularity dominance, because they have games like the ‘Last of us, Spiderman, Horizon Zero Dawn, Death stranding, Uncharted, the list goes on. Those are all major titles that basically set the precedent for other developers moving forward. Game pass is still a bit premature to see where this all leads, and being that the gaming industry is changing more than ever, we won’t know until probably the next year at minimum or longer.

(BTW, I didn’t watch the video, not really necessary in this respect.)

God of War would be a big one for me on that list also. I always find myself enjoying many Sony exclusives immensely and can't really think of an Xbox-only title where it really bothered me that I missed out on it. Although with Bethesda being acquired that might change.

Reactions: mnsportsgeek

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2012
I haven't owned a Playstation since the PS2, but I read recently that the PS5 is actually selling faster than the PS4 did after launch. So they're not doing badly at all.
https://www.theverge.com/2021/4/28/22407195/sony-ps5-sales-numbers-q4-2020-earnings

I got an Xbox Series X a couple of months ago. I had to do it via the two-year "all access" subscription thing, since the standalone consoles are constantly sold out where I am (England). I've had Game Pass before but not really used it much, since my old Xbox One was such a horrible, slow, low-res way to play.

The fast loading and switching between games means it makes much more sense for me on the new box, and it costs exactly the same as my family Netflix and Apple Music subs combined. I've tried a lot of games I would never have played otherwise. (Deleted most of them after 10 minutes, but found a few gems too.)

You can see why people might think Sony is in trouble when Microsoft has a deal like this, but I don't think it's affecting them at the moment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.