Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pulsewidth947

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 25, 2005
So I was going to fulfil my public duty (and make use of my degree) by explaining exactly what you need to know about microphones - i.e. polar patterns, types (condenser, dynamic), applications, etc.

But then I stumbled across the Wikipedia Page about Microphones.

Damn Wikipedia.. always stealing my thunder, I was looking forward to sharing some knowledge :(

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
pulsewidth947 said:
So I was going to fulfil my public duty (and make use of my degree) by explaining exactly what you need to know about microphones - i.e. polar patterns, types (condenser, dynamic), applications, etc.

But then I stumbled across the Wikipedia Page about Microphones.

Damn Wikipedia.. always stealing my thunder, I was looking forward to sharing some knowledge :(

It's cool, it's only a basic intro really, I think the subject is deeper and wider than that, for instance, why is an AKG C414 considered a "classic" mic and I think it only just makes the grade as an overhead mic for drums, and why do i think the Neumann U87i is an essential mic for any tracking session?

Lots more to mics than just the physics.

pulsewidth947

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 25, 2005
WinterMute said:
Lots more to mics than just the physics.
Sure is, but then theres alot which is just personal opinion which is just too subjective. Physics is something you can cling to as its set in stone. I just thought everyone should really have a good working knowledge of how to read polar patterns and response graphs. But of course your ears can be the best judges of wether a mic is worth its weight or not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.