Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

afd

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 12, 2005
Scotland
Last week I left my iPhone 4 in a taxi, I realised shortly after I got home and phoned the Taxi company, they said it wasn't in the taxi but by this time I was watching it move across a map on Find My IPhone.
The next day I decided it was the wrong time to buy an iPhone so decided I should buy a cheap 'Droid.
I went to my nearest three shop and decided on a Samsung Galaxy Mini, they cancelled my Sim, gave me a new one and charged me £70.
My new SIM was active the next morning and for the first time since November 7th(I think) I wasn't using an iPhone.
After a week here's my thoughts, all subjective - no facts or figures.

Pros
  1. It's a lot cheaper than an iphone
  2. It does most of what an iPhone does
  3. I quite like having shortcuts for sending a text or call to a particular person
  4. It feels pretty light.
  5. Turning on Bluetooth or wifi is easier.

Cons
  1. It looks and feels a lot cheaper than an iPhone.
  2. It's not as easy or as pleasant to use as an iPhone.
  3. Reception is worse than my iPhone.
  4. Battery life is worse than my iPhone.
  5. Using as a wifi hotspot seems much slower.
  6. Connecting to my Bluetooth in car seems more fiddly.
  7. The micro USB lead doesn't charge the phone with my belkin Bluetooth car thing.
  8. I miss the dock connector.
  9. Browsing and email isn't as pleasant, I only use it if I really have to.
  10. It isn't intuitive.
  11. I've lost all my apps.
  12. The screen is much lower quality.
  13. It doesn't play well with Macs.

I know that a Galaxy Mini isn't a direct competitor to an iPhone 4 but really I'd rather have my original aluminium backed iPhone back. When I moved from a flat to our house I traded in a 4 year old Mini for a new Ford Ka because it was out of warranty, we didn't have a lot of spare cash and I knew I didn't want to pay BMW prices for car repairs (which I could see happening soon). I feel exactly the same now about my iphone as I did then about my Mini and hope the iPhone 5/6 comes out a lot sooner than the October of last year.

Last edited:

mbell1975

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2012
Last week I left my iPhone 4 in a taxi, I realised shortly after I got home and phoned the Taxi company, they said it wasn't in the taxi but by this time I was watching it move across a map on Find My IPhone.
The next day I decided it was the wrong time to buy an iPhone so decided I should buy a cheap 'Droid.
I went to my nearest three shop and decided on a Samsung Galaxy Mini, they cancelled my Sim, gave me a new one and charged me £70.
My new SIM was active the next morning and for the first time since November 7th(I think) I wasn't using an iPhone.

Pros
  3. I quite like having shortcuts for sending a text or call to a particular person

Cons
  7. The micro USB lead doesn't charge the phone with my belkin Bluetooth car thing.
  10. It isn't intuitive.

I know that a Galaxy Mini isn't a direct competitor to an iPhone 4 but really I'd rather have my original aluminium backed iPhone back. When I moved from a flat to our house I traded in a 4 year old Mini for a new Ford Ka because it was out of warranty, we didn't have a lot of spare cash and I knew I didn't want to pay BMW prices for car repairs (which I could see happening soon). I feel exactly the same now about my iphone as I did then about my Mini and hope the iPhone 5/6 comes out a lot sooner than the October of last year.

so you are basing Android as a whole off some cheap, POS phone you bought? Come back after you try a REAL Android phone kid. lol, what a joke.

afd

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 12, 2005
Scotland
Well, Old Man/Woman, I said it was a lightweight review and that the Galaxy Mini wasn't a direct competitor to a 4 or 4S, but still I'm not happy with my phone at the moment, I also think I'd not be much happier if I'd gone Full-Droid and got a Glalaxy S3, but then we're all entitled to our opinions.

----------

A Galaxy mini? What that cost?

£70, about $110. I already had a SIM only contract, so I bought a pay as you go phone till the next iPhone came out.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
Well, Old Man/Woman, I said it was a lightweight review and that the Galaxy Mini wasn't a direct competitor to a 4 or 4S, but still I'm not happy with my phone at the moment, I also think I'd not be much happier if I'd gone Full-Droid and got a Glalaxy S3, but then we're all entitled to our opinions.

----------

£70, about $110. I already had a SIM only contract, so I bought a pay as you go phone till the next iPhone came out.

If you don't wanna sign a contract your better off spending the 350 dollars and get the unlocked galaxy nexus. With jellybean its butter smooth. Expecting the best android experience with a 110 dollar unsubsidized phone is kind of unrealistic. You can't base your experience of android on a phone thats seriously one of the cheapest around.

RocketRed

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2012
I don't know what's more bothering... the fact that you didn't do much to go after your iPhone, or comparing Apples with Oranges.

afd

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 12, 2005
Scotland
If you don't wanna sign a contract your better off spending the 350 dollars and get the unlocked galaxy nexus. With jellybean its butter smooth. Expecting the best android experience with a 110 dollar unsubsidized phone is kind of unrealistic.

for 2/3 months and £70 I can live with the G mini, if it wasn't for the hotspot thing I'd have used my Sony Ericsson K750. Three give me unlimited data for browsing and tethering and I don't fancy browsing on my iPad over GPRS even if Three wasn't a 3G only network.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
so you are basing Android as a whole off some cheap, POS phone you bought? Come back after you try a REAL Android phone kid. lol, what a joke.

He should just compare the iPhone 4 to this 'Droid. They're the same price. I have the iPhone 4, and I've tried the Nexus, and I must say that the iPhone 4 is better than the high-end 'Droids. Also, the 720p iPhone video and audio is subjectively and objectively higher quality than the so-called 1080p HD video and audio from the Nexus.

afd

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 12, 2005
Scotland
I don't know what's more bothering... the fact that you didn't do much to go after your iPhone, or comparing Apples with Oranges.

I wasn't in much of a state to do much about going after the phone at 2 in the morning and by the time I was the next day the trail would have been cold I'm afraid.
I thought that comparing Apples to oranges was what happened here?
My post was more about mourning my 4 than running down an entry level android though.

----------

Also, the 720p iPhone video and audio is subjectively and objectively higher quality than the so-called 1080p HD video and audio from the Nexus.

Forgot to mention the camera, I hate the camera. 2007 iPhone much better.

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL

No wonder you didn't like it, that Mini is a crap bargain basement phone, hell I'd take a old 3GS or even 3G iPhone over it. Can't compare it to a phone like the GS3 or really any of the "modern" phones off your experience, be like comparing a Yugo to a Porsche lol. Not saying the GS3 is the end all be all of phones.

I actually had to Google that phone, can't believe they actually sell that thing, but I don't know much about the low end/entry level Android market.

He should just compare the iPhone 4 to this 'Droid. They're the same price. I have the iPhone 4, and I've tried the Nexus, and I must say that the iPhone 4 is better than the high-end 'Droids. Also, the 720p iPhone video and audio is subjectively and objectively higher quality than the so-called 1080p HD video and audio from the Nexus.
I'm not sure on the Nexus there but being I own both and the 4S I can say that's not true, only the 4S has a very slight advantage in regards to video stabilization.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
No it is not. He bought a 110 dollar prepaid phone with no contract. The iphone 4 with no contract is $550

jca24

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2010
DFW

Pros

Cons
  10. It isn't intuitive.

ios6 will chew up the jelly bean and spit it out!!

:apple:

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus

Forget the phone, real question is did you replace the 'British, not German' Mini with the new style Ka or old '1970's AMC Pacer' style Ka?

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2010
Jesus tap dancing christ.

You're seriously comparing the iPhone to the lowest budget Android phone out there? That's even worse than comparing the 3GS to the HTC One X and saying that Android is better due to such a comparison.

This thread is ridiculous.

afd

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 12, 2005
Scotland
Forget the phone, real question is did you replace the 'British, not German' Mini with the new style Ka or old '1970's AMC Pacer' style Ka?

It was a BMW Mini (Manufactured in Britain) with the European Ford KA. My original Mini I replaced with a Metro but I'm still too traumatised to talk about that.

----------

Jesus tap dancing christ.

You're seriously comparing the iPhone to the lowest budget Android phone out there? That's even worse than comparing the 3GS to the HTC One X and saying that Android is better due to such a comparison.

This thread is ridiculous.

I'm comparing what I'm able to compare. Should I have compared something I have no experience of? That would have been ridiculous.

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
Cons
  10. It isn't intuitive.

This has nothing to do with Android, in case you didn't notice.
You're comparing a 700$ phone to a 100$ one. No comment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.