Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nicely

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2002
Brooklyn, NY - Cobble Hill
Hey everyone...I am going to purchase a power mac after macworld ny this summer for video editing. I will usually shoot in mini DV, but when i need to, I want to be able to input analog video. What is the best solution? A card or a firewire device? Which card or device is best?

Thanks

Sratner

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2001
Analog in

in order to get analog in you have a few options. First, if you have a DV camera, it may accept analog input, therefore you could dub the analog over to DV, in most cases this is the best solution, because then you will have timecode for future use, Otherwise there are analog capture cards out there that i believe are a bit pricey, the intermediate option is to get a converter, like "Dazzle" it converts DV to analog and vice versa... and i believe Canopus has a similar product this will allow capture but again there will be no timecode that you could use later on.

hope this helps

evanmarx

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2001
Switzerland
formac dv studio

I've used Formac's DV Studio ... it's great ... has analog/digital input/outputs (simultaneous monitor outpu), has a tv tuner included (watch tv onscreen) and the bigger version comes with a 40Gig harddisk to write video to ...

most of all ... it's macosx compatible ... u can dowanload the latest version of the software ...

http://www.formac.com/

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
Mmmm...

Depending of how much money you have and how little I know about the subject. I may sugest a miro motion DC50, it is a $1.500 or less. Or a Miro DC 30 plus for relative low end video (about $700). This last one is discontinued but I guss there is a fire wire interface with a firewire interface, audio and video analog i/o. For $700 too.

Check http://www.miro.com I guess.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.