Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mauly

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 21, 2003
Manchester, England
I'm looking for a analog (vhs) to dv converter -£200. Has anyone had any dealings with any that can be recommended?

I have had a look at the Canopus ADVC-110 seems good, has analog out.. looks simple to set-up/use and is mac friendly..

superwoman

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2005
Monterey,CA
There are some DV cameras that can act as a analog-DV bridge. Mine can - Sony PC9E. Works very well. I digitized my Tae-bo VHS this way :)

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
The Canopus line is truly amazing. All of their models have some degree of noise stabilization. I've run old video tapes through a camera and the image/sound quality looked just as bad as the source. The Canopus was able to clean up everything without adding any noticeable artifacts.

rjphoto

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2005
Me too

skippy64 said:
I have the Formac Studio, works so easily with the Mac. I just did a quick google and went to first link at the top.
http://www.cancomuk.com/products/searchresults.lasso?manuf=Formac&code=44629&store=Formac
I don't know if this is a good price, I have had mine for approx two years now and never had a problem with it.

I've had a Formac for a couple of years. THe first one I bought wasn't OSX compliant so I had to take it back. The vendor had it sitting on the self for a while and didn't realize it wasn't compatatble with OSX. Took some doing to get them to take it back and order the new one.

But all in all I haven't had any trouble with the second one.

I also use my MiniDV and old Digital 8 camcorders too.

N10248

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2004
Essex, U.K.
I bought a Miglia Directors Cut Scart with my iMac and at does a great job, £199 though so its close your your spending limit.

Quality is good, and have never had anything odd happen like delayed sound or dropped frames

The good thing is that it has a scart input so your VHS will plug straight in, and capture quality from the scart input is much better than the S-video input it also has (less roughness)

Bye

mauly

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 21, 2003
Manchester, England
Ok, there seems to be a problem! Have just looked at the tracking page and it says that the converter has been delivered! when I got home from work there was NO card in the letter box nor under my door!!!! saying its been delivered to a neighbour :mad:

Anyone else been in this situation!? I can't ring apple or lynx till tmo....

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Yes, the Canopus products are excellent, easily the best codec in the lower price ranges. I had the ADVC-100 but I imagine the ADVC-110 is similar.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
mauly said:
I'm looking for a analog (vhs) to dv converter -£200. Has anyone had any dealings with any that can be recommended?

I have had a look at the Canopus ADVC-110 seems good, has analog out.. looks simple to set-up/use and is mac friendly..

Lots of good suggestions here but one this was not said. One very large advantage to using a DV camera to make to analog to digital conversion is that you can put a DV tape in a camera and make a digital archive copy tape at the same time as yu transfer the video to the cmputer over the Firewire.

I recently copied a drawer full foVHS and 8mm analog tapes to miniDV and now I have an all-digital archive

A converter may do the conversion just fine but then you don't have a digital tape.

In addition the DV camera makes a kiler webcam.

Lucinda

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2006
Staffordshire
Canopus 110

Have just purchased a Canopus 110 after reading this thread. I'm a new mac user...addicted to imovie, have transferred all my digital tapes and look forward to making a start on years of old analogue film. Can't wait for the Canopus to arrive!;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.