Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fender2112

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 11, 2002
Charlotte, NC
When I get my new system in the near furture, I also plan to get a video convertor such as the Formac Sudio DV or Dazzle DV Bridge.

Any suggestions or opinions?

hugemullens

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2002
Michigan
Try the cannopus ADVC100, i've had great luck with it I've heard good things about the formac, the dazzle seems to have mixed reviews. Not much help but thought i would chime in.

Fender2112

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 11, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Datavideo DAC-100..

Anyone fimiliar with this device, Datavideo DAC-100? It seems simular to the Canopus ADVC100 but is quite a bit cheaper. I was wondering what the differences might be.

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
Originally posted by patrick0brien
-Fender2112

Many pros I know use the Sony DVMC-DA2 converter.

It's middle of-the-road price wise, but very high quality - and tiny.

I have the Sony too but it has Macrovision protection, I mean, you can not record from DVDs, with the other ones you can.

The good thing is that you can find it on eBay for $200 or less.

Canopus is the best choice in the market.

The Hollywood Bridge have some complications when recording, it is not reliable I heard, plus, it fall on one side when the cables are pluged.

I took the Sony because it looks nicer than the Canopus DVC 100 and for some reason it was $200 more but I got it for the same price of the Canopus.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I've heard bad things about the Hollywood DV Bridge--mostly lack of sturdiness.

I was really interested in the Formac Studio TVR, so I could record TV in DV format, as well as convert some of my old analog stuff.

Fender2112

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 11, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Another suggestion...

Another idea I read was to use a stand alone DVR unit. This way I could make copies of my old videos to DVD for later editting , as well as have the advantage of DVR.

Any thoughts on this?

Whatever option I choose will cost $200 to $400. I want to make sure I get the most appropiate device.

Keep the suggestions coming. I know others will also benefit from this discussion.

Side Note: Is the Apple Superdrive DVR-R or DVR+R? or both?

Macpoops

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2002
PA
Don't get the Dazzle. The formac is so much better quality. The Dazzle is crap. It feels cheap. It can be a real pain in the ass just to set up. It's real inconsistent. The formac is a much better choice but in my experiance for some reason it doesn't record sound in iMovie. Works like a dream in FCP though

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
Not every digital camera can capture trhu, most of them require you to record everything firste and the it will reproduce via firewire. I'm a VJ and I expriment a lot with those stuff. But I'm sure new video cameras can do that and that would be a very good option.

Fender2112

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 11, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Originally posted by solvs
If you're getting a Mac with PCI slots, you can get the Televio. Video capture and DVR.

I have an ATI Exclaim VR 128 card w/ Exclaim TV Tuner that does the same thing. The downside 1) No output for recording back to VHS 2) uses software compression which can take a long time to compress a clip. 3) My new system will probabely be an iMac, which doesn't have PCI slots.

On the plus side, I think we can rule out the the Dazzle. I am leaning toward the Canopus or the Datavideo. Both of these companies specialize in video editting. From what I can tell the Canopus uses a hardware codec (chip) for coverting to DV. I'm not sure about the Datavideo or the Formac. The Formac has favorable reviews as does the Canopus, but the Formac is a bit more expensive.

Fender2112

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 11, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Re: Re: Another suggestion...

Originally posted by hugemullens
Apple's superdrive is the Pioneer A05. It uses DVD-R and thats it.

Thanks. This will be helpful if I decide to go with a stand alone DVR as I noticed they come in both flavors (-R and +R).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.