Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
This thing looks pretty cool to me

Steep at $219 but good value for what it is IMO

Especially since gb mods are pricy and this offers a lot more systems

kaioshade

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2010
Anyone got one? Tempted to order but man, 2023 delivery. ?

I actually preordered this way back in 2020 when it was announced and got it delivered a little bit ago.

It is an amazing piece of hardware, but the Analogue OS is woefully unfinished right now, but what is there is solid. A few more updates and this will be well worth it for the Retro collector.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
I actually preordered this way back in 2020 when it was announced and got it delivered a little bit ago.

It is an amazing piece of hardware, but the Analogue OS is woefully unfinished right now, but what is there is solid. A few more updates and this will be well worth it for the Retro collector.

Did you get the dock too? What color pocket?

Do you use flashcarts or did ya get the game gear adapter?

Tell me more!

kaioshade

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2010
Did you get the dock too? What color pocket?

Do you use flashcarts or did ya get the game gear adapter?

Tell me more!
I got the Black Pocket. I did get the dock as well, But i mainly use it portable. The dock is fine, but maxes at 1080P resolution. My TV has a fairly good scaler, so the results look good. Still some letterboxing on games of course. The dock also gets warm even when not in use, it seems to be always on, which is a bit odd. i have been unplugging it when im not using it.

For carts, I use a combination of both. My GB carts are original, and I have some GBA carts and also have an Everdrive GBA X5. Some people have said there are issues with it, but fortunately, mine seems to work. So far no one has been able to discern rhyme or reason why this is. The GB everdrives almost all have issues though.

The actual picture quality is great, and the different filters used perfectly replicate the screens of the original DMG and GBP screens. GBA games being a slightly different aspect ratio have borders on the top and the bottom, but with my pocket being the black color, it isnt noticeable. It is a fingerprint magnet though, and catches oil from my hands pretty easily. (my skin is moderately oily, so this happens often) The quality of the unit itself is pretty good. It's plastic, and light, but feels sturdy. no creaks or flex anywhere. The power and volume buttons are a bit too flush for my liking, but they press easily. the dpad and buttons are all nice and responsive. The L and R buttons are like the GBA SP, so a bit of a pain to press if you have larger hands, but like the rest, they are responsive enough.

No GG adapter unfortunately, I wasn't able to add it to my cart before it sold out. Nothing to test there.

The Analogue OS, as i mentioned right now is bare. Most of the features they show on the website are not in the firmware yet, and the only real options are the screen filters right now. I feel the first wave of owners got a beta product. A functional beta, but a beta nontheless. When the next waves go out, I am sure the OS will have many more features and this wont be a problem for others.

I really like it overall, and cant wait to see what they do with the OS, and further firmware improvements.

Reactions: thadoggfather
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.