Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

doctabu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2006
Hi there. I've been browsing/searching the forums for a problem like mine but I was unsuccessful. If there has been a discussion/question like mine, please let me know!

I had made a short film as part of a film festival that I shot entirely in 16:9. However, I had never really worked with 16:9, and what I ended up doing was editing it entirely in 4:3, with the video letterboxed, as opposed to just doing it straight in 16:9 (which is what I should have done).

Now I want it back in 16:9 so I could watch it fullscreen on a widescreen TV/monitor for a portfolio DVD I'm making. However, it seems as though the easy thoughts I had to fix it just don't work.

If I make a new sequence, make it an anamorphic one, and drag all of my footage into there, it makes it wide, but squished down even more, like this:

fcpproblem.png

Does anybody know how I could possibly take this edited footage and put it back into 16:9?

Thanks!

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
you could just keep editing as is, export a final file as a quicktime movie, the import that, to a new sequence with a 16:9 format.

That's assuming changing the sequence settings now require you going through a ton of separate clips and manually changing them.

D

doctabu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2006
Well, I got an answer on the Apple Support forums, in case someone wanted to know:

"Actually, I feel like I've answered a few variations on this question in the last week. :)

However, I suspect the fact that there is never a uniform description of it leads to a dead-end when you try to search for it (because most have no clue how to describe it).

Anyway, try this...

With your sequence open and active in the Timeline, select all your clips (press Command-A)
Press Option-Command-V to bring up the Remove Attributes dialog
Select Distort from the left-hand side 'Video' options, then click OK
Your clips should now properly fill the 16:9 frame.

Note: If you created any Freeze Frames from the Timeline, those will have to be recreated, because those will not adjust - they're 4:3 images. "

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Oooh, that's nice - I've never tried messing with more than one clip at a time - that will come in handy.

Thanks,

D

litosclone

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2003
City of the Crosses
doctabu said:
Well, I got an answer on the Apple Support forums, in case someone wanted to know:

"Actually, I feel like I've answered a few variations on this question in the last week. :)

However, I suspect the fact that there is never a uniform description of it leads to a dead-end when you try to search for it (because most have no clue how to describe it).

Anyway, try this...

With your sequence open and active in the Timeline, select all your clips (press Command-A)
Press Option-Command-V to bring up the Remove Attributes dialog
Select Distort from the left-hand side 'Video' options, then click OK
Your clips should now properly fill the 16:9 frame.

Note: If you created any Freeze Frames from the Timeline, those will have to be recreated, because those will not adjust - they're 4:3 images. "

doctabu, I'm having the same problem in FCE HD, and the above quote didn't work, do you have any other suggestions, or solutions?
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/176583/

hsilver

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
New York
Widescreen for FCP and DVD Studio Pro

If something was shot anamorphic -not just widescreen setting -in FCP you turn it on or off -1. in Capture settings when you digitize. 2. in the browser window there is a column: Anamorphic with a check on or off -for both sequences and clips. Then there is a tendency in the motion tab distort window -what the Apple site mentioned -for the distort to turn itself on when you choose anamorphic. I don't know FCE -but there are a lot of variables.
<p>

When you get it right in FCE or FCP, for DVD Studio Pro -again I don't know iDVD –if you have Compressor -make a Quicktime Movie (not QT conversion) without making it self-containing. Import to Compressor and choose a preset that has widescreen in its title -eg. 60 minute highest quality widescreen and convert it there -to bring into DVD Studio Pro. Good Luck.

DrNeroCF

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2004
I had a problem like that before... I think... it had something do with the timeline being set to square pixels, or not to square pixels... I dunno...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.