Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 24, 2021
So Samsung finally dropped the Android 13 update for the Samsung Galaxy Tab s8.

OneUI 5 on the tablet is very nice. Animations look very smooth with a new level of transparency. Also the color pallet is more widely distributed throughout the UI which I like.

Performance seems good and so does stability so far.

I have an iPad air 5th Gen I got before the s8 but I got a really good deal on the s8 with a trade in and sale price. The deals for Black Friday in the s8 were also really good.

I find myself using the s8 more than the iPad because it has a much more vibrant screen. I thought the TFT panel would bother me compared to IPS and of course OLED but I really like the screen a lot.

There is also the quad speakers. I thought with the M1 in the air it would wipe the floor with the 8 Gen 1 but in everyday use I can't tell a difference in speed between the two tablets at all.

Samsung has its haters and die hard fans. I stand somewhere in the middle. I have had good experiences with customer support, love their trade in deals but have always hated, hated all the bloat and dual apps, slow updates, and short OS update life. Samsung has improved at least the speed of updates although they could still happen faster, the length of updates. Now they just need to let the user choose what default apps they want and don't want by letting us uninstall any duplicate apps and 3rd party bloat and I may end up more in the fan section.

I am really excited for next year with the 8 Gen 2.

Reactions: LIVEFRMNYC

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
as a productvity device it's still the best option out there. you can do alot on them android 13 looks good and with good lock it's basically a launcher in it'self.

Reactions: Technerd108

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
I got a really good deal on the s8 with a trade in and sale price. The deals for Black Friday in the s8 were also really good.

What would you consider a good deal over the next month or so? I'd like to get a Tab S8 (128GB Wifi model) but am in no rush, so can wait until the post-xmas sales if its likely to be worthwhile.

Currently in UK Samsung have a £120 cashback promotion until 20 Dec.
This brings price down to £529 (18% reduction from base price of £649).

Would you expect better discounts/promotions in the post-xmas sale period?

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
What would you consider a good deal over the next month or so?
The deal I got two years ago.

I purchased a heavily discounted Galaxy Tab S7+ and I used as a trade, an ancient Galaxy Tab S2 that was 4 yrs old. The total price with tax was $379. Oh and Samsung threw in a free pair of Galaxy Buds 2.

The following year the deal wasn't as good and this year was a little worse so I still have the S7+. I think the reason my deal was so good was because Samsung was trying to unload their backstock inventory of the S7's even though the S8 series tablets were still unannounced at the time. There's still NO word on the Galaxy Tab S9 series.

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
I purchased a heavily discounted Galaxy Tab S7+ and used as a trade an, ancient Galaxy Tab S2. The total price with was $379. Oh and Samsung threw in a free pair of Galaxy Buds 2.

Was this in the post-xmas sale period?
How many months had the Tab S7+ been available when you got that deal (roughly)?

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
Was this in the post-xmas sale period?
How many months had the Tab S7+ been available when you got that deal (roughly)?
No it was in between Black Friday and XMAS of 2020 and it was several months after it's release date.

Reactions: ozaz

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
Does anyone have difficulty with dark scene content in Amazon Prime Video on their Tab S8? I've bought one and am pretty happy with it, but I'm noticing issues with watching dark scene content. Not sure yet if it's specific to Prime Video as I've only really watched stuff from Prime Video on it so far.

As an example, Jack Ryan Season 3, Episode 5. Minute 12:30 to 13:30. When it cuts to the guy in the car I can hardly make out his face. I've recorded a clip showing this in comparison to my iPad 6th gen - see here.

It's actually ok if I watch in a browser, which makes me think it's the Prime Video app rather than my device. But would be interested to know if others have the same issue?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.