Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
You may not have heard about this, but Android 14 is having trouble dealing with Pixel 6, Pixel 6a, and Pixel 6 Pro phones with multiple users.

I got a message that data was corrupt and my options were "Try Again" to restart and "Factory Data Reset". It hasn't had any luck with restarting, just showing "Pixel is starting..."

It's pretty much the nail in the coffin for me after a downhill experience from the OnePlus 8T to the Pixel 6a.

If you have one of the affected phones, good luck!

WanderlustSoul

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2023
California
I used to wait a long time before installing updates on my Android phones. I'd read about other people having problems after installing updates early, so I'd only install them once I was sure they were safe. This could mean waiting one to two months.

Reactions: bousozoku

edubfromktown

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2010
East Coast, USA
I hadn't heard about it. After reading many not so positive experiences with phone updates, I back mine up locally prior to installing major ones. This way, I can restore to a previous/stable state if the newest/latest/greatest code fails to deliver or slam my known/good backup onto a new device if one ends up bricked or physically damaged.

I updated my past P4a, OP 8 and 8T phones straight away and follow the same approach with S23+. Haven't gone off the rails yet.

Reactions: bousozoku

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I hadn't heard about it. After reading many not so positive experiences with phone updates, I back mine up locally prior to installing major ones. This way, I can restore to a previous/stable state if the newest/latest/greatest code fails to deliver or slam my known/good backup onto a new device if one ends up bricked or physically damaged.

I updated my past P4a, OP 8 and 8T phones straight away and follow the same approach with S23+. Haven't gone off the rails yet.
Well, OnePlus took a lot of time to push the Android 12 update to my 8T, and as chaotic as the ColorOS/OxygenOS hybrid was supposed to be, it was still better than Google's Android implementation.

Google pushed the update, gave me the chance to put the phone on a charger before it updated, but that was all I saw as my options. Otherwise, I would have waited. They seemed to have pushed a tiny update today. Didn't ask, just updated.

edubfromktown

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2010
East Coast, USA
Well, OnePlus took a lot of time to push the Android 12 update to my 8T, and as chaotic as the ColorOS/OxygenOS hybrid was supposed to be, it was still better than Google's Android implementation.

Google pushed the update, gave me the chance to put the phone on a charger before it updated, but that was all I saw as my options. Otherwise, I would have waited. They seemed to have pushed a tiny update today. Didn't ask, just updated.
Mmmh, yeh not a fan of updates deploying themselves without notification or human interaction. I'm guessing that blocking system updates in developer mode may not be sufficient to prevent it.

I often wonder if delayed pushes of Android OS updates are more mobile carrier related. Users on post-paid/contract T-Mobile and Verizon tend to lag behind compared to people like me on pre-paid MVNO services riding on the same carriers (with maybe less service prioritization).

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Mmmh, yeh not a fan of updates deploying themselves without notification or human interaction. I'm guessing that blocking system updates in developer mode may not be sufficient to prevent it.

I often wonder if delayed pushes of Android OS updates are more mobile carrier related. Users on post-paid/contract T-Mobile and Verizon tend to lag behind compared to people like me on pre-paid MVNO services riding on the same carriers (with maybe less service prioritization).
Samsung used to hide behind the carriers for their software delays. Now, they're better.

I'm on Mint Mobile but I started that with the T-Mobile version of the OnePlus 8T. I'm wondering if I could have added the carrier information on the Pixel 6a. Thank goodness I didn't pay much for the Pixel 6a. I wouldn't wish my experiences on anyone.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Samsung used to hide behind the carriers for their software delays. Now, they're better.

I'm on Mint Mobile but I started that with the T-Mobile version of the OnePlus 8T. I'm wondering if I could have added the carrier information on the Pixel 6a. Thank goodness I didn't pay much for the Pixel 6a. I wouldn't wish my experiences on anyone.
Samsung is slow to update. Just yesterday i got the July security update for my Tab S7.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.