Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Let’s talk about Android 14.

Seems like Android 14 is actually quite an upgrade, more so than 13.

Privacy: Android 14 will allow granular control of apps accessing user photo library, just like iOS. This is a great addition!

Clone apps: after all these years, looks like Google finally copied what the OEMs have been doing for years, allowing some apps to have dual instances. Nothing new for non stock Android users, but it’s great when the support comes standard from base Android itself.

So far from the previews down by YouTubers, those are the things that caught my attention.

Reactions: Naira_Nicol

Achillias

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
I just want the restriction that every app developer is required to offer their app in a foldable mode, so we as users can utilize the screen. But Google has no balls for that.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
I just want the restriction that every app developer is required to offer their app in a foldable mode, so we as users can utilize the screen. But Google has no balls for that.
Development for Android seems to slow down a lot compared to its early days. I mean just look at tablet support, which is still very poor. Hopefully with Google doing their own foldables, Google would pay more attention to that.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Development for Android seems to slow down a lot compared to its early days. I mean just look at tablet support, which is still very poor. Hopefully with Google doing their own foldables, Google would pay more attention to that.
Think you will find some UI upgrades already rolled out for Fold/tablets recently and apps that have now a compulsory message preview pane on the left and thread content on the right

Which is a pain as the Samsung swipe to screenshot and then pan down for a longer grab no longer work on the content

Update found you can switch this off in settings/screen layout and zoom/standard view not multi view

Last edited:

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
I am on Android 14 beta on my Pixel 7 Pro. So far I don't see any difference between 13 and 14?

It is actually fairly stable for an early Beta.

But overall the UI is basically the same and settings are the same.

I haven't installed any new apps so I don't know if there are any permissions differences. Maybe I will install an app just to see.

Maybe they will implement more changes as time goes on but so far no major difference that I can tell.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.