Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 23, 2016
I have a Galaxy Tab S2 that shipped with Nougat 7.0 and I my question is if there is a way without rooting to combine a MicroSD card with the tablets internal storage? I've read that was possible with Marshmallow but Google disable that feature in Nougat.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I have a Galaxy Tab S2 that shipped with Nougat 7.0 and I my question is if there is a way without rooting to combine a MicroSD card with the tablets internal storage? I've read that was possible with Marshmallow but Google disable that feature in Nougat.

I don't think Google removed it, but Samsung has never had it on their devices to my knowledge.

Butt-Head Astronomer

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2017
USA
I use this on my Lenovo tablet. Even with a quality class 10 card, it's slow. I'm thinking about buying an A1 card to see if I can improve the performance. I suspect Samsung doesn't want people using cheap cards thinking their products are slow.

Reactions: LIVEFRMNYC

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I use this on my Lenovo tablet. Even with a quality class 10 card, it's slow. I'm thinking about buying an A1 card to see if I can improve the performance. I suspect Samsung doesn't want people using cheap cards thinking their products are slow.

I never had any noticeable issues with adoptable storage using a class 10, even when playing games like NFS or Asphalt.

But even though I never tried, I wouldn't trust it while using VR like the Gear VR or DayDream. Although both do allow for certain smaller VR apps to store on external, but not most.

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 23, 2016
It was "Adoptable storage", here's an article from April that basically says "Samsung doesn't want you to do it this way so the option isn't there". Everything you need to know about your SD card and Adoptable storage | Android Central
Thanks for the correction and link. Where do I enter the command found in the link? adb shell sm set-force-adoptable true

What's OTG (You can force any storage device (even ones connected via USB OTG) to be adopted using one simple command) and is that command line entered in the Windows command prompt?

I'm thinking of getting this SD card, is it fast and durable enough? https://www.amazon.com/Sandisk-Ultr...b7-42f6-9638-45b9d4bb32c0&pf_rd_i=16576243011

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
ADB is a computer-based command line tool (the tools are installed and then utilized through Windows' Command Prompt or a Mac's Terminal) for interfacing with Android devices.

OTG is "On the Go", using external storage with the mobile device. This isn't really a great idea as you'll need to remove that storage to charge the phone.

This page may help you evaluate the speed of a card. - Speed Class - SD Association

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.