Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Webcat86

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2022
So this has nothing to do with the fact that when an iPhone user sees a blue bubble, they know they are talking to another iPhone user (yippee) and if it's green, they are talking to its Android evil twin sister? I ask a legit question on behalf of learning about how Apple loves creates a loyalty tribe culture.
No the benefit of iMessage is that any message between the two are free, whereas would otherwise be charged as SMS or MMS. The green doesn't indicate you're talking to an evil twin sister, but that your messages are going through as text messages and may be billed as such. (My contract has unlimited text messages, but sending photos and videos would be billed separately if I was to send them to someone not using iMessage.) Of course, this isn't a problem for anyone using a messaging alternative like WhatsApp, but my iMessage has multiple group chats.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
I'm so glad no one in my contacts is so pretentious to care whether their bubbles are blue or green. I don't even like RCS/iMessage because I don't need typing indicators and NEVER do group chats. I just want the simplicity of AOL Instant Messenger--simple sending a text, wait for a reply, and have it in a conversational view. Optional emojis. That's it. I don't need to know if the other person 'saw' my message or is 'typing'. In fact, I've had more misunderstandings from the bugs present in modern messaging. I'd see my girlfriend 'typing' for example, but she said nothing, and I'd assume she's ignoring me, or many times my message never got 'seen' and I didn't know if it made it to her phone or not.

Life is so much easier and less stressful on my 2011 smartphone. I type a message, hit send, and it says 'sent successfully' and that's all it has to be. Eventually a tone goes off and the response is on my lockscreen ready to view/respond to. Why complicate that? Plus, I don't need a stable data connection to use SMS, just bars. 90% of places I go I have no data and only one bar. Try using iMessage on that!

Another benefit is a basic SMS app doesn't depend on updates. It just works.

Reactions: gusmula

Webcat86

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2022
I'm so glad no one in my contacts is so pretentious to care whether their bubbles are blue or green.

Nobody cares whether it's blue or green, the colour is an indicator to let you know whether the message is being sent using data or not - it has saved me money on numerous occasions by warning me to not send a photo or video

Plus, I don't need a stable data connection to use SMS, just bars. 90% of places I go I have no data and only one bar. Try using iMessage on that!
If data is unavailable, the message will be sent as standard SMS (and appear green - yes, even to another iPhone user, because the colour is an indicator and not a token for pretentious people to feel smug over). So your messages would still be delivered in exactly the same way as they are now. This is a big advantage over WhatsApp, Telegram etc, where a lack of data means your message simply won't send.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
But with SMS I don't have to worry about it sending as an SMS or iMessage (or RCS). I also don't have to worry about the annoying 'typing indicators' and various other things I hate about 'modern' messaging. If It sends, it sends. If it doesn't it tells me it doesn't. I don't get why they had to complicate it. Maybe I'm just happier with old stuff? Works perfectly fine for me.

Also, there ARE people who completely dismiss anyone over a 'green text'. Plenty of forum threads about it on various sources. It happens a lot with dating sites. The girl sends a guy a text, he responds 'hey how are u?' and she says 'oh. green text. bye!' and there are many who assume an Android user is behind a green text and therefore not worth the effort, either because of group chats breaking or the still-promoted assumption that an Android user is a 'poor person'.

wyl5q547d7jz.jpg

Almost everyone mentions 'group chats' as the point of eliminating Android users and 'green texts' but I never seen the point of group chats. I HATE them. I've been added to them in my old Facebook days. So I'd get pinged about a new message and assume it's one of my friends only to find it's some random person in a group chat that I got added to without my knowledge and ruined it for me. I despise group chats. I'd bet that 80% of iMessage users don't even use group chats.

I just prefer the simple act of sending a message, and waiting for a reply. It's so simple, even a caveman could do it.

Last edited:

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
But with SMS I don't have to worry about it sending as an SMS or iMessage (or RCS). I also don't have to worry about the annoying 'typing indicators' and various other things I hate about 'modern' messaging. If It sends, it sends. If it doesn't it tells me it doesn't. I don't get why they had to complicate it. Maybe I'm just happier with old stuff? Works perfectly fine for me.

Also, there ARE people who completely dismiss anyone over a 'green text'. Plenty of forum threads about it on various sources. It happens a lot with dating sites. The girl sends a guy a text, he responds 'hey how are u?' and she says 'oh. green text. bye!' and there are many who assume an Android user is behind a green text and therefore not worth the effort, either because of group chats breaking or the still-promoted assumption that an Android user is a 'poor person'.

View attachment 2017686

Almost everyone mentions 'group chats' as the point of eliminating Android users and 'green texts' but I never seen the point of group chats. I HATE them. I've been added to them in my old Facebook days. So I'd get pinged about a new message and assume it's one of my friends only to find it's some random person in a group chat that I got added to without my knowledge and ruined it for me. I despise group chats. I'd bet that 80% of iMessage users don't even use group chats.

I just prefer the simple act of sending a message, and waiting for a reply. It's so simple, even a caveman could do it.

Group iMessages? Hate them too. Got sucked into a family group textgasm, and it went about as badly as anyone can imagine. I finally just stopped participating, and told people I'm out. 'But why?' was the whine. Because I'd rather shampoo my eyebrows than read of the latest family nutjob crap... I got better things to do, believe it or not. (Same thing with FB. 'Oh no, they found me!' No people wonder why I quit it. Um...)

Never realized green texts were a bad thing. *shrug*

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
If data is unavailable, the message will be sent as standard SMS (and appear green - yes, even to another iPhone user, because the colour is an indicator and not a token for pretentious people to feel smug over). So your messages would still be delivered in exactly the same way as they are now. This is a big advantage over WhatsApp, Telegram etc, where a lack of data means your message simply won't send.
You do realize any smartphone can send and receive SMS/MMS you do not need Whatsapp or telegram so you point is mute

Further more you assume that sending an MMS from an iPhone is guaranteed method but with many telecos especially if your out of country will only allow free sms, MMS you still need a data or roaming package to open it. This is why many when out of country will pick up emsg's from public wifi, iMessage's or WhatsApp etc

No the benefit of iMessage is that any message between the two are free, whereas would otherwise be charged as SMS or MMS. The green doesn't indicate you're talking to an evil twin sister, but that your messages are going through as text messages and may be billed as such. (My contract has unlimited text messages, but sending photos and videos would be billed separately if I was to send them to someone not using iMessage.) Of course,

It's not free somewhere someone is paying for the data be it a home ISP or telco data package or a cup of coffee or airline ticket etc etc, but agreed it's almost free if you work at it :)

In many Asian countries no one uses sms, mms or IMessage's they rely on wifi at work etc so often it takes time to get a reply if they are out of range or commuting

IMessage's has it uses and followers in a few countries like US, AUS (mainly as most telcos have compulsory bundled sms/mms) but most other places it's pants and you would be a social hermit if you tried to rely on it on most situations other than receiving sms from banks and telecos themselves

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
I'm so glad no one in my contacts is so pretentious to care whether their bubbles are blue or green. I don't even like RCS/iMessage because I don't need typing indicators and NEVER do group chats. I just want the simplicity of AOL Instant Messenger--simple sending a text, wait for a reply, and have it in a conversational view. Optional emojis. That's it. I don't need to know if the other person 'saw' my message or is 'typing'. In fact, I've had more misunderstandings from the bugs present in modern messaging. I'd see my girlfriend 'typing' for example, but she said nothing, and I'd assume she's ignoring me, or many times my message never got 'seen' and I didn't know if it made it to her phone or not.

Life is so much easier and less stressful on my 2011 smartphone. I type a message, hit send, and it says 'sent successfully' and that's all it has to be. Eventually a tone goes off and the response is on my lockscreen ready to view/respond to. Why complicate that? Plus, I don't need a stable data connection to use SMS, just bars. 90% of places I go I have no data and only one bar. Try using iMessage on that!

Another benefit is a basic SMS app doesn't depend on updates. It just works.
Sounds like you complicate it.

I have Android and use Google messages and it gives a Delivered notice for a text i sent. Which is the same as your sent successfully notice. It also gives me a seen notice if they dont reply right away. Not sure whats annoying or worrisome about typing indicators. Some people over think things.

I dont stress about it as sometimes i just send something for information that doesnt require a reply. Its not a big deal either way. If you want to use a old phone, thats great for you.
I dont see where a newer one complicates things. Its up to you what you want to use with it. Mine just works too.

You constantly telling everyone that you like old phones and tech isnt going to have anyone running to get one.

Now the green/blue as far as dating sites....thats just silly but i dont use those anyways.

Last edited:
Reactions: Webcat86

Webcat86

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2022

View attachment 2017686

This is just a rant about why you don’t need it. That’s fine. You don’t need it. I’m just clarifying what it is and why.

Webcat86

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2022
You do realize any smartphone can send and receive SMS/MMS you do not need Whatsapp or telegram so you point is mute
Erm, you missed the point. I was saying that iMessage sends over data, but if none is available it will send over SMS.
Further more you assume that sending an MMS from an iPhone is guaranteed method but with many telecos especially if your out of country will only allow free sms, MMS you still need a data or roaming package to open it. This is why many when out of country will pick up emsg's from public wifi, iMessage's or WhatsApp etc
This is a telco issue and not an Apple or iMessage issue.

It's not free somewhere someone is paying for the data be it a home ISP or telco data package or a cup of coffee or airline ticket etc etc, but agreed it's almost free if you work at it :)
C'mon, don't split hairs. "Free" in this context, as you know, means no additional cost for anyone who pays for a data plan - and who has an iPhone without that?
In many Asian countries no one uses sms, mms or IMessage's they rely on wifi at work etc so often it takes time to get a reply if they are out of range or commuting
What's the point being made here?
IMessage's has it uses and followers in a few countries like US, AUS (mainly as most telcos have compulsory bundled sms/mms) but most other places it's pants and you would be a social hermit if you tried to rely on it on most situations other than receiving sms from banks and telecos themselves
Again, what's the point being made here? It has literally no influence on how good, bad or otherwise iMessage is.

Snowlover

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2018
Alpine , CA
Honestly - this is a bit of a crock. Especially if you are using google apps on an iPhone. Regardless, both Android and Apple's TOS read almost identical. Both iOS and Android are handling 3rd party cookies, device IDs, etc similarly. Both operating systems let you go granular on any app on what they have permission to access or not.
You can also use a firewall app on android and limit which apps have internet access - thereby eliminating adds and "phoning home" on non browser and mail apps.
I also use Brave or Firefox browser with add and script blockers , and can't remember the last time I saw an add.

Last edited:

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
This is just a rant about why you don’t need it. That’s fine. You don’t need it. I’m just clarifying what it is and why.

True, but I'm just worried that carriers might force it on everyone and I am happy as I am. I don't want RCS/iMessage becoming that standard.

Trends like this end up happening and slipping in after a while, much like flat UI, gesture navigation on modern smartphones, or removing headphone jacks.

Webcat86

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2022
True, but I'm just worried that carriers might force it on everyone and I am happy as I am. I don't want RCS/iMessage becoming that standard.

Trends like this end up happening and slipping in after a while, much like flat UI, gesture navigation on modern smartphones, or removing headphone jacks.
I'm not sure I understand your concern.

iMessage doesn't force anything on you. It simply allows you, like WhatsApp, to communicate using data so you're not charged extra for sending too many texts, or sending media.

If you don't want read receipts, you can turn them off. iMessage has various controls you can adjust to your taste - including not using it at all.

Having an iPhone doesn't necessitate even using iMessage - use any other messaging platform that you prefer. You can literally disable iMessage in the settings too.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
I mean aren't they trying to phase out SMS because of the popularity of RCS/iMessage? Android users have been clamouring for it for years. I am just happy as it is, and if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Or in this case, add 'features' that I find annoying or gimmicky. It's a messaging app. All it should do is send/receive messages in a conversation view. Why add stuff it was never intended to do?

It's like those asinine gesture controls every phone has today. Talk about a solution in search of a problem!

Webcat86

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2022
I mean aren't they trying to phase out SMS because of the popularity of RCS/iMessage? Android users have been clamouring for it for years. I am just happy as it is, and if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Or in this case, add 'features' that I find annoying or gimmicky. It's a messaging app. All it should do is send/receive messages in a conversation view. Why add stuff it was never intended to do?

It's like those asinine gesture controls every phone has today. Talk about a solution in search of a problem!
I’m sure people said these exact things about pagers.

The thing about extra features is that people can use them if they want, and you can ignore them. Demanding that changes don’t happen because you don’t personally see a need is a self-centred outlook.

You can literally purchase a dumb phone if it offers what you need.

Reactions: Vegastouch

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
If SMS is totally phased out in favor of the gimmicks of RCS and other services I'd be forced to use something I hate and not keep what I like. That's why I get concerned. I couldn't give a frell whether the message is green or blue.

I am of the kind who is fine using what I like so long as I'm allowed to. The moment some company forces me to have something I hate is when I get angry. By all means, if you like RCS and iMessage, use it. Just don't expect everyone to want it. We should be allowed to have different preferences even though society wants us all in a homogenized all flat UI hellscape because being different and having a phone that's not a flat rectangle is scary to people these days. Oh, how I long for the 2010s variety to return.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV

I literally know no one that has said they want iMessages on their Android. Maybe those in here have said that and count me as one here who doesn't care about it.

The only thing I don't like about Google messages and the Pixel launcher is they only use notification Dots with no number for how many.

And you know, you don't have to use gestures. I don't. You are complaining about nonsense. Just don't use it.

Reactions: Webcat86

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
The only thing I don't like about Google messages and the Pixel launcher is they only use notification Dots with no number for how many.
Now that is a feature I wish Android had. It’s something that is also needed for the Phone app as well. I don’t know if one of the paid launchers has that feature such as Nova Launcher?

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
iOS is making progress but still not as smart nor responsive as Google.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Now that is a feature I wish Android had. It’s something that is also needed for the Phone app as well. I don’t know if one of the paid launchers has that feature such as Nova Launcher?
Nova has a number indicator in the circle notification or you can use just a dot. And it's totaly customizable to size, shape and color.

The Microsoft launcher gives you a choice of a dot or numbers.
The Pixel launcher just gives you a dot.

I guess it's fine just to know you have a notification but I prefer to know how many.

Last edited:

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
The notification badges have numbers on my Thunderbolt, as well as all the Galaxy devices I have ever used--including the few modern ones. The only time it's just a 'dot' is on stock Android. Personally I don't get why people like boring stock Android. Each time I tried a Nexus I would spend hours or days trying to sideload all the missing bits that I had on TouchWi to make it feel halfway complete, only to have a half arse device that performed like crap compared to the Samsung and just NOPE'd right out on the Nexus.

I don't mean I worry about iMessage coming to Android, I worry about RCS, a similar feature with similar gimmicks (typing indicators, needing data, seen your message indicators, etc) one day replacing SMS and SMS being EOL'd forcing me to have not only a modern phone to continue texting but having to live with that plus the crap gimmicks of RCS that I never wanted. A Messages app only has to do one thing. Send and receive messages. Apple complicates it with iMessage and little 'games' and stuff that doesn't belong or that does not improve messaging. It's like doing what a messaging app is supposed to do is never good enough. How do you improve an app that does the intended job well? Sometimes best to leave it alone.

Webcat86

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2022
I don't mean I worry about iMessage coming to Android, I worry about RCS, a similar feature with similar gimmicks (typing indicators, needing data, seen your message indicators, etc) one day replacing SMS and SMS being EOL'd forcing me to have not only a modern phone to continue texting but having to live with that plus the crap gimmicks of RCS that I never wanted. A Messages app only has to do one thing. Send and receive messages. Apple complicates it with iMessage and little 'games' and stuff that doesn't belong or that does not improve messaging. It's like doing what a messaging app is supposed to do is never good enough. How do you improve an app that does the intended job well? Sometimes best to leave it alone.
iMessage doesn’t need data to work. It just needs data to send messages over data. No data? It sends as standard SMS!

Nothing has been over complicated. Why don’t you realise that it’s much better to have messages send via data if you live in one of the many places without strong signal? That you can send messages anywhere with Wi-Fi, including a subway system or airplane?

Sending over data and avoiding network charges is literally the reason people have made apps like telegram and WhatsApp so popular - the market has spoken and it disagrees with your assessment.

Wildkraut

Suspended
Nov 8, 2015
Germany

View attachment 2017686

So green bubbles is a life saver, who wants to date such leeches anyway.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
I have unlimited texting and calling so SMS does not have any charges I'm aware of!

I am aware of SMS fallback. But what if SMS is EOL'd and no longer exists and the only standard is RCS? Then I'm stuck with all those little annoyances I hate about it with no way out.

I don't have to worry about dating someone who hates 'green texts' because my girlfriend uses an Android phone anyway. Besides, I wouldn't give anyone the time of day if they use one's choice of phone to decide if someone's worth dating or not. If I did, I'd have worse problems given my phone's 11 years old. To some that's 'worse' than being a 'green bubble'.

Webcat86

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2022
I have unlimited texting and calling so SMS does not have any charges I'm aware of!

I am aware of SMS fallback. But what if SMS is EOL'd and no longer exists and the only standard is RCS? Then I'm stuck with all those little annoyances I hate about it with no way out.

I don't have to worry about dating someone who hates 'green texts' because my girlfriend uses an Android phone anyway. Besides, I wouldn't give anyone the time of day if they use one's choice of phone to decide if someone's worth dating or not. If I did, I'd have worse problems given my phone's 11 years old. To some that's 'worse' than being a 'green bubble'.
Unlimited SMS usually excludes MMS, meaning photos and videos are charged. It’s also reliant on signal - so while I can send messages on iMessage and WhatsApp from a wifi-equipped plane, you could not.

I’m not disparaging SMS, I use it, but you’re seemingly disparaging a very beneficial evolution in technology.

All talk of the bubble colour is a sideshow - and, frankly, the same mentality as when Instagram trended on Twitter after it got an android app, and iPhone users started complaining that “now poor people can use Instagram.” These people are idiots and not worth thinking about - if someone won’t date someone because of a green bubble, that’s no reason to take a dislike to the technology itself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.