Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 10, 2006
What programs do you use to transfer files off of your Android to Mac? My Samsung doesn't read in Android File Transfer on Mac, it always gives the "could not connect to device" error. NearDrop doesn't work for me on macOS Sonoma 14.2.1 (always times out during a transfer without a single MB sent). Final Cut Pro 10.7.1 beachballs and freezes to "Not Responding" when I import the import window with my phone plugged in. Image Capture doesn't display the video files properly (a 21GB video file shows up on Image Capture as a 4GB file). My Samsung Z Fold 4 won't show up in the finder as a connected disk even with Developer Options, USB Debugging, and File Transfer mode enabled. I'm just trying to get large video files shot on my Android to my Intel Mac and it is comically difficult. Any takers?

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
My personally recommendation would be MacDroid.

Although, it's not free. Cost 20 bucks annually, but it's worth it for me... since I do quite a lot of content transfers between my Fold 4 and MBP. And it was another program I used awhile back... it's free, just forgot the name of it. But I like how MacDroid is integrated into Finder app when the Fold 4 is plugged into the MBP.

Reactions: Zwhaler

ios3

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2022
I will finally have time this week to play around with my new S23 and will update you on the best transfer methods I find. I am going to be syncing with an Intel MacBook Pro with macOS Catalina

Reactions: Zwhaler

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
I use this ftp server on my android device com.theolivetree.ftpserver.StartFtpServer
And use filezilla on my desktop to transfer over.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
I've been using recently AirDroid, which has a native Mac app and can connect via local network for unlimited file transfers. It can also show the file explorer on the phone and has a lot of extra features.

Also using the new quick share with NearDrop app installed on the Mac. This works like Airdrop, but just phone to Mac and not the other way around anymore since the Google Files app has changed in it's recent update and no longer has the "prepare to receive files" option.

h.gilbert

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2022
Bordeaux
Wow. Just installed this app and it works great! So fast and no need to constantly accept the transfers on the other device! Thanks so much! Such a versatile app.

Yeah it's great. Not that far off AirDrop in terms of convenience. On my Android it's in the share menu and the one extra step you have to do compared to AirDrop is just open up the app on Mac, takes 1 sec with a quick cmd+spacebar

Reactions: QuarterSwede

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
Although the last modified time will be modified.
On my S24+ gallery the pictures transferred to the phone from my iMac keep the same time stamp. I transferred my S23+ pictures to my Mac before selling it, then to the S24+ and it shows perfectly on the gallery (except for two screenshots, don't know why).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.