Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
For those that own the HOX, Note, S2, or the S3 (other high end phones as well on ICS) and really want to use the PS3 wireless controller to play games like Mass Effect, Modern Combat, Dead Trigger, NOVA 3 and so on, check in here.

I'm sure you all have seen the video from AndroidNZ.net (if you haven't seen it, it's 27 minutes long showing wireless gaming with xbox and ps3 controller, connecting to hdtv's and so on via OTG - on the go - and MhL connectors.) link is here -> AndroidNZ.net demo video otg/mhl

I have rooted my S3, so I can use the PS3 controller wirelessly with an app called sixaxis in the Google Play store. If you do not want to root your phone, there are 3 or 4 games that work natively with the ps3 controller, wired via a $2 OTG cable. Those games are Dead Trigger, Riptide GP and Shadowgun. Max Payne may now as well.

If you root, I have successfully played the following games with the wireless stock ps3 controller.

Dead Trigger
GTAIII
Shadowgun
NOVA 3 (requires remapping via sixaxis, but I can give anyone the map. I have it setup very similar to CoD.)

Also, any NES, SNES or Nintendo 64 ROM will work as long as you download an emulator. Games like Super Mario Kart 64, Super Mario Bros, Tecmo Super Bowl, Super Punch Out, Super Smash Bros, etc...

If interested, i can post links to rooting, button mapping or any specific info you may need.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
I use a wired XBOX360 controller for my gaming on my Transformer Prime (docked).

Coupled with HDMI output it makes for quite the portable Android gaming/emulation machine. :-D

Not tried OnLive on it yet tho, I really should give that a whirl some time.

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
Galaxy S3 + PS3 controller + this = emulator heaven

I am actually making my own based off this post on AndroidCentral

Link: Galaxy S3 gaming rig

You utilize the clear plastic ps3 wireless keyboard rig. Buy an adjustable hinged wedge from home depot (or something similar), glue a cheap back case to the hinge (I have a black one already) and you are good to go. I prefer this method so I can make adjustments to see the screen better if I am sitting or laying down. But that link you have is pretty cool. I like that someone has already marketed this idea. And you are right, this is the ultimate portable gaming rig. Play Android, Nintendo and even Playstation 1 and 2 games with an awesome wireless controller, all in one rig. I do plan to get the MHL adaptor cable so I can put the games on my 46" TV's and play multiplayer.

Anyway, this is the rig I am building this week. Total for parts comes out to around $30 for the plastic connector off ebay, a hinged wedge and a cheap case for the S3. There are lots more pictures in the link above.

2012-07-18+21.08.56.jpg

alex2792

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2009
I am actually making my own based off this post on AndroidCentral

Link: Galaxy S3 gaming rig

You utilize the clear plastic ps3 wireless keyboard rig. Buy an adjustable hinged wedge from home depot (or something similar), glue a cheap back case to the hinge (I have a black one already) and you are good to go. I prefer this method so I can make adjustments to see the screen better if I am sitting or laying down. But that link you have is pretty cool. I like that someone has already marketed this idea. And you are right, this is the ultimate portable gaming rig. Play Android, Nintendo and even Playstation 1 and 2 games with an awesome wireless controller, all in one rig. I do plan to get the MHL adaptor cable so I can put the games on my 46" TV's and play multiplayer.

Anyway, this is the rig I am building this week. Total for parts comes out to around $30 for the plastic connector off ebay, a hinged wedge and a cheap case for the S3. There are lots more pictures in the link above.

Why go through the trouble of a DYI project if the parts come out to more than the ready made gameklip? :confused:

EDIT: nm, I didn't realize that parts include the PS3 controller, DUH :(

skidbubble

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2010
I.
Want.
That.

Mac.World, your white GSIII coupled with a white PS3 DualShock controller looks AWESOME.

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
I.
Want.
That.

Mac.World, your white GSIII coupled with a white PS3 DualShock controller looks AWESOME.

Not mine. I took that picture from a guy that has already done this mod on AndroidCentral.com

I get the clear plastic controller connector this week. And the reason I specifically went with this is adjustability of the screen angle.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Dead trigger is pure bliss with a ps3 controller wired as the analog sticks work flawlessly.

For old school emulators esp NES. You can use wiimote app via Bluetooth. It works great.

Rooting is not required for either.

Dontazemebro

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2010
I dunno, somewhere in West Texas
I've been using the sixaxis app for quite a while now on the One X and it works great.

Initially I had trouble configuring touch emulation profiles but the developer sent me a modified version of the app that was compatible with the One X. Apparently htc included multiple touchscreen drivers and the way the app was configured, it was selecting the wrong one.

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
Dead trigger is pure bliss with a ps3 controller wired as the analog sticks work flawlessly.

For old school emulators esp NES. You can use wiimote app via Bluetooth. It works great.

Rooting is not required for either.

This is good to know, as a lot of people don't want to or don't know how to root. I just couldn't go without Titanium Backup, so had to root. Glad I did, because playing almost any game wirelessly rocks.

I posted above a few games that can be played without rooting, that are in the google play store. Are you also saying NES or SNES emulator games can also be played without root?

----------

I've been using the sixaxis app for quite a while now on the One X and it works great.

Initially I had trouble configuring touch emulation profiles but the developer sent me a modified version of the app that was compatible with the One X. Apparently htc included multiple touchscreen drivers and the way the app was configured, it was selecting the wrong one.

Can you PM me all the info you have, so I can add it on to my original post (I will ensure credit remains with you). I know we have quite a few HOX owners as well, that could benefit from it.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
This is good to know, as a lot of people don't want to or don't know how to root. I just couldn't go without Titanium Backup, so had to root. Glad I did, because playing almost any game wirelessly rocks.

I posted above a few games that can be played without rooting, that are in the google play store. Are you also saying NES or SNES emulator games can also be played without root?

----------

Can you PM me all the info you have, so I can add it on to my original post (I will ensure credit remains with you). I know we have quite a few HOX owners as well, that could benefit from it.

Yeah, an emulator works without rooting. I still have all the old oid emulators, nesoid' snesoid, n64oid, FPse (PlayStation).

Dontazemebro

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2010
I dunno, somewhere in West Texas
I just found out that the sixaxis controller app also plays nicely with the Onlive gaming app. Imagine playing xbox/ps3 titles on your computer with a controller, except instead your gaming from your smartphone or tablet. It's freaking awesome.

Now, the Onlive app from the play store worked but it was a little buggy. The buttons were mapped wrong and the game would occasionally freeze and automatically disconnect my ps3 controller without notice. After searching around, I found a modified apk over at xda developers forum that has support for all controllers. I believe it was modded based on an older version but this one works flawlessly without any setup whatsoever. So much so that I went ahead and purchased the $9.99 monthly play pass which gives you unlimited access to a plethora of high end games. Trust me it's worth it. All I need now is to invest in a mhl adapter so I can hook my HTC One X to my HDtv for the ultimate gaming session.

Matter of fact I think the game pictured above is one of the titles from Onlive.

If anyone wants the xda link, let me know and I'll post it for you. (hopefully this won't be breaking forum rules eventhough its a free app in the Play Store).

Edit - Most games have a 30 min free trial if you're not sure you want to bust out your hard earned money yet.

I'm playing Batman Arkham Asylum as we speak :D

2012-08-08_14-56-19.png

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.