Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Yep, I keep checking for updates on my Nexus 6 (latest N preview). Do you know if these devices will get the OTA to the final build from the developer previews?

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
Yep, I keep checking for updates on my Nexus 6 (latest N preview). Do you know if these devices will get the OTA to the final build from the developer previews?
I can't say for sure, but I'd be quite surprised if there weren't any OTA route to the final bits.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009

They will...I just hit 'Check for Update' on my 6P running the dev preview and much to my surprise, the update was there. :D

I say I'm surprised because every time a major update has been rolled out to Nexus devices over the past few years, I always seem to be on the back end of these staged rollouts.

Reactions: co.ag.2005

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Seems like this release is missing key features that have been expected for the final release. This almost feels Android 6.9. Certain things aren't in this release, like Allo, etc...

Also, is the first time a brand new big Android OS release comes out before the actual new Nexus devices ? I expected final 7.0 to come out with the new HTC phones.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Seems like this release is missing key features that have been expected for the final release. This almost feels Android 6.9. Certain things aren't in this release, like Allo, etc...

Also, is the first time a brand new big Android OS release comes out before the actual new Nexus devices ? I expected final 7.0 to come out with the new HTC phones.

I'm sure they're hold off to time those feature releases with the new Nexus phones.

And is Allo even tied to the base OS? My guess is that it'll work just like Duo, as an independent app that is managed through the Play Store and/or Play Services. I hope the update for Google Assistant is the same, else it's gong to available on very few devices for the next year.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US

Yeah it kinda feels like the cart has been put before the horse so to speak? I expected a new Nexus phone to be released with Nougat before the actual OS was released.

Reactions: Tig Bitties

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
I'm sure they're hold off to time those feature releases with the new Nexus phones.

And is Allo even tied to the base OS? My guess is that it'll work just like Duo, as an independent app that is managed through the Play Store and/or Play Services. I hope the update for Google Assistant is the same, else it's gong to available on very few devices for the next year.
Allo and Duo are independent apps. As they are available also on iOS, it wouldn't make much sense to tie their Android versions to a specific OS release. In addition, considering how slow the new OS rollout is on Android in general, they'd make Allo and Duo a huge disservice by limiting them to an OS release most customers won't be getting before they buy a newer phone.

Reactions: tbayrgs

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
They will...I just hit 'Check for Update' on my 6P running the dev preview and much to my surprise, the update was there. :D

I say I'm surprised because every time a major update has been rolled out to Nexus devices over the past few years, I always seem to be on the back end of these staged rollouts.

sweet! looks like it's hitting the 6p and 5x first, then others later on... come on N6 rollout!

http://www.droid-life.com/2016/08/22/android-7-0-nougat-update-download-beta/

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I think Nougat will be on the N7 by years end......

Maybe on the international unlocked version. I can't see it coming for US carriers any earlier than Feb 2017, but probably more likely May/June 2017. But hey I'd LOVE to be wrong. Crossing my fingers in any case.

Reactions: tbayrgs and jamezr

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
Screenshot_20160823-010110.png

Seems like I skipped the queue :D Enrolled to the beta, got the update immediately and after the installation unenrolled, but as it was a stable release I was running, all my data remained intact.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
It's out now! https://android-developers.blogspot.fi/2016/08/taking-final-wrapper-off-of-nougat.html?m=1

Now it seems like I'll be spending way too much time in the check for updates screen of my Nexus 5X. Granted, this is one area where iOS has an edge as there's none of this staggered rollout BS to deal with. Anyway, I can't wait to give it a try as I skipped the betas.

Just keep an eye on OTA Images for Nexus Devices | Nexus Files for Developers | Google Developers and follow the directions to the letter once the OTA is posted (usually within a couple days).

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland

iOzzie

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2010
Melbourne
Yeah I was also in the beta and got it this morning on my Nexus 9.

Double tap MultiTask to change to last app is great, works really well!

frankgrimes

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2016
Yeah I was also in the beta and got it this morning on my Nexus 9.

Double tap MultiTask to change to last app is great, works really well!

Sounds like an awesome idea, thanks for sharing. Do you know if there are any Android 7 N ROMS yet?

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
My 6p got 7.0 last night, So far only two apps crash, Samsung S health and DirecTV. Doze is working much better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.