Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
There are plenty of platform agnostic video chat apps.
Whatsapp, Skype, Line, Wechat, Viber, Facebook messenger, Google Hangout, Google Duo, and many more. And they are all available on iOS as well.

don’t these require third party software we’re as FaceTime comes out of the box.

Stevie jobz 2.0

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2019
don’t these require third party software we’re as FaceTime comes out of the box.
So the app store full of 3rd party software is lorded as a major positive for apple, but android using 3rd party software is now a negative?

Taking 30 seconds out of your life once to install an app is too much hassle?

Reactions: macfacts

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Facetime does not come out of the box in some countries and of course the elephant in the room is it will only talk to another Apple device. Outside of US, AUS and a few other countries its hardly used, even between Iphone owners

To a lessor degree than Android but Iphones do vary between some countries

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
Facetime does not come out of the box in some countries and of course the elephant in the room is it will only talk to another Apple device. Outside of US, AUS and a few other countries its hardly used, even between Iphone owners

To a lessor degree than Android but Iphones do vary between some countries

I live in the USA and only communicate with my family via FaceTime.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
If I'm not mistaken, Google Duo is (Hangouts was) preinstalled in some phones, Skype might be pre-installed on Samsung phones, and WeChat sometimes are pre-installed on Chinese phones like Xiaomi/Oppo/Vivo. Personally, it's second nature for me to just install Whatsapp whenever I bought a new Android phone. Some OEMs even have it as pre-pre-installed, meaning they list it on the setup screen as a "recommended" app.

Of course, there's no consistency, as it depends on the OEM.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Well that's good for you :)

But typifies the insular nature of the app
I live in the UK, even though Apple have just over 50% market share here, what's app is the predominant app here even between iPhone users.
[automerge]1589437833[/automerge]
If I'm not mistaken, Google Duo is (Hangouts was) preinstalled in some phones, Skype might be pre-installed on Samsung phones, and WeChat sometimes are pre-installed on Chinese phones like Xiaomi/Oppo/Vivo. Personally, it's second nature for me to just install Whatsapp whenever I bought a new Android phone. Some OEMs even have it as pre-pre-installed, meaning they list it on the setup screen as a "recommended" app.

I've been using what's app since 2010 as my main app for messages so whether I have an iPhone or an android phone it gets installed.
[automerge]1589437841[/automerge]

I've been using what's app since 2010 as my main app for messages so whether I have an iPhone or an android phone it gets installed.

Reactions: SteveJUAE
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.