Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chickenwingfly

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
What do you like about having both platforms? Do you just enjoy being able to use different apps for both, or do you find having the mix to be particularly effective for what you need to do? If the latter, how so?
i think it's totally subjective and you have to ask yourself wheter you need it or not.
I don't even understand (sorry if I misread or failed to read for that matter) if you already have an iPad.

Android and iOS both can play well, but then for ME it would have to be somehow this way:
1. If using the same apps, then they should be synched over the cloud with something DIFFERENT than iCloud (which is not hard enough, e.g Evernote).
2. I would have to be comfortable using the *smaller* version of apps on whatever I choose.

For me basically (2) was the deal breaker with my old android phone, I couldn't stand it anymore and there were some apps (specially productivity and music production) that weren't available on Android (specially the latter), and I saw myself using my iPod Touch more and more, so I decided to go the iPhone/iPad combo and couldn't be happier.

Now this is obvious trolling

why would you want an iphone to go with an ipad? They're the same exact thing. One is just 10 inches and doesn't do calling
Because there are apps available on iPad and NOT on iPhone and sometimes you use an app on the go (small screen, small keyboard) and then at home you can have the same info but on a bigger screen, and without turning on your desktop computer and in the comfort of your couch.

Plus the iPad has been proven a good replacement for a laptop, in some cases.

So yeah, in the long run it's all about the screen state but they are NOT the same thing, unless of course you like carrying around a 10" cellphone OR you like writing books on a 3.x" screen (yes, the iPad is not a cellphone, but point made hopefully).

So far I think your wife would be happy wth an Android phone, specially the music (copy & paste, don't quote me about the ratings and stuff tho) and more flexibility.
Problem being, she has an iPad already and I think the perfect combo for an Android phone would be an.. Android tablet.

I personally decided iOS because although it's a bit "boring" (no widgets basically and bad theming), I think the apps I use look much better than Android (apps I tried and use looked cheesy and disgusting, others might say au contraire) and the iCloud and general syncing between the two was great.
Plus, music production (on a low scale) is on the iPad a billion? trillon? times better than Android where it's almost non-existant (so far).

Tsk18

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2012
Quote : Thanks for the recommendation, sulpfiction. We'll probably check out the selection this weekend. If we do decide to go Android, I'll be sure to give everyone an update!

Did your girlfriend purchase a new phone?

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
I feel like you already know what you want based on the requirement list you posted....there is nothing better to pair with a iPad than a iPhone because it offers seamless simplicity of having your content across multiple devices thanks to iCloud

Madmic23

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2004
What about using a Windows phone? My brother has one and his wife has an iPhone. He actually really enjoys the Windows phone.
It has the added benefit of playing nice with MS Office files as well right out of the box with no additional software, and it will relieve your wife's worries about Google.
Just a thought.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.