Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

utahman130

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2012
I wanna know what this $500 app was...

This is better. 1,000 dollars!

Source
[The app's] function is exactly what the name implies: to alert people that you have money in the bank. I Am Rich was available for purchase from the phone's App Store for, get this, $999.99 -- the highest amount a developer can charge through the digital retailer, said Armin Heinrich, the program's developer. Once downloaded, it doesn't do much -- a red icon sits on the iPhone home screen like any other application, with the subtext "I Am Rich." Once activated, it treats the user to a large, glowing gem

Eddie Bombay

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2011
I find it harder to get an app for free on Android over iOS. With iOS all you need to do is install Installus. Lately a lot of developers have their apps check with the market to verify the license in order to work on android so just because you find the app on Google for free doesn't mean it's going to work.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
This makes a lot of sense because...

1) Apple's customer base are the more well off people, willing to pay higher price for brand name. They are more likely to buy than your average joe

2) To pirate on Apple devices you have to CRACK the device, I am not sure if this is the same case on Android.

3) Android is based on Linux. This tells me that more of its source code is open and free. Also it tells me that the "hacking" community or people who would like to tinker with their devices flourish a lot more over there.

To be honest I like free stuff too , but as I grow older I realize that its the wrong thing to do , and some one out there has spent time and money and makes a living off these apps we use and he wants to get paid back. Also if we want more good apps like the ones we got for free , we should pay for them to encourage developers to do more.

If they don't get a return on their previous apps created, they'll just stop all together.

ps. Installing pirated software has its huge advantage, you get to check the software out before paying for it. This helped me decide on many purchases , sometimes not even the demo will cut it off. The way I see it, even if you use the pirated app for a very long time, you can always go back and pay the developer...if it was worthwhile.

Apollo 13

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2010
Owning both devices I will say android is easy to steal apps. Just google the app and bam u have it with no need of jailbreak/rooting. iOS u have to jailbreak which many ppl don't even know what that is or don't want to. Then u have those that jailbreak and never even heard of installous or even care for it. So yes pirating on ios is a lot lower.

The iGentleman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012

1) Apple's customer base are the more well off people, willing to pay higher price for brand name. They are more likely to buy than your average joe

How you about you show some demographic proof to go along with that fantastical claim of yours.

The iGentleman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
It's true of the Mac scene, not so much iOS. If you look at the top tier of expensive PCs, you'll see Apple as one of the biggest players there.

The iPhone? Hell. Everyone and their grandma has an iPhone.

I'm not concerned with Macs, we're talking about phones. Macs aren't available on contract for $100. For some reason, there seems to be a section of people on this site that are misguided enough to believe the iPhone is indicative of some elite status. They speak as if an iPhone is so difficult to afford. So again, I'd love for that silly guy to provide some demographic data to back up his fantastical and pretentious claim.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida

This use to be the case. The iPhone was a symbol of popularity and people that are possibly in a better economic state, if you will.

Now, the iPhone is a common sight. The iPhone is just as capable as a top-tier Android device and the sales and developer support.

profitsshare1.jpg

Renzatic

Suspended
I'm not concerned with Macs, we're talking about phones. Macs aren't available on contract for $100. For some reason, there seems to be a section of people on this site that are misguided enough to believe the iPhone is indicative of some elite status. They speak as if an iPhone is so difficult to afford. So again, I'd love for that silly guy to provide some demographic data to back up his fantastical and pretentious claim.

Some people still tend to mix up the two. The iPhone is one of the better built phones out there, and it does (I guess) exude some of that patented Apple class *swishes snifter of brandy*.

But no, iDevices are not at all difficult to afford. You can get a 4 on contract for what, $100 now? And the iPad only looks pricey when compared against netbooks. They're fairly cheap.

Last edited:

The iGentleman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
Some people still tend to mix up the two. The iPhone is one of the better built phones out there, and it does (I guess) exude some of that patented Apple class *swishes snifter of brandy*.

But no, iDevices are not at all difficult to afford. You can get a 4 on contract for what, $100 now? And the iPad only looks pricey when compared against netbooks. They're fairly cheap.

Exactly. Heck there are other phones that cost more on contract than the iPhone, and even they aren't symbols of status. When the Galaxy Nexus first came out, it was $300 on contract with Verizon, and the GSM model had no subsidy so it was around $700 at launch. So if that guy thinks the iPhone is a symbol of wealth, then the people that had the Galaxy Nexus at launch must be filthy rich lol.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
Exactly. Heck there are other phones that cost more on contract than the iPhone, and even they aren't symbols of status. When the Galaxy Nexus first came out, it was $300 on contract with Verizon, and the GSM model had no subsidy so it was around $700 at launch. So if that guy thinks the iPhone is a symbol of wealth, then the people that had the Galaxy Nexus at launch must be filthy rich lol.

There are Android phones for the prices of $200-300 new, no contract.

NZed

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2011
Canada, Eh?
As an Android user, if google only accepted my Canadian Debit Visa, like the apple store, i would be paying for the apps i want/need.

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
plenty of people pirate on iOS too, but its easier for android to download pirated apps. No need to jailbreak, just have to go to the source. So naturally there is going to be more piracy.

----------

Exactly. lol I don't know what his point was in bringing that up, that really has nothing to do with the discussion lol.

reallllly an sIII is garbage? $350 contract free lol? im sure you can fine one used for much less than o l i know thats not $200-300 price range that you called garbage, but only $50 more lol

----------

Well yeah if you want a garbage phone.

sIII is $350 contract free... not really a garbage phone. im sure you can find one used/ maybe even refurbed for $300 or under

----------

As an Android user, if google only accepted my Canadian Debit Visa, like the apple store, i would be paying for the apps i want/need.

ermmm

http://support.google.com/googleplay/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=167794

cant you have it billed to your carrier???
or get citizensbank.ca prepaid VISA................ :

Hmmmmmmmm
or do you just want an "excuse" to justify your piracy?:rolleyes:
LOL

Last edited:

The iGentleman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
reallllly an sIII is garbage? $350 contract free lol? im sure you can fine one used for much less than o l i know thats not $200-300 price range that you called garbage, but only $50 more lol

There's no such thing as a GS3 $350 contract free. You show me a legit link for that and I'll buy 10 right now. I think you're thinking of the Galaxy Nexus, and that's a special case. The Nexus is an exception to the rule, because that's Google's baby. Besides that, there's no such thing as a real quality Android phone for $300 contract free. Sorry, there just isn't.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
sIII is $350 contract free... not really a garbage phone. im sure you can find one used/ maybe even refurbed for $300 or under

Where are you seeing this? Carriers are offering it off contract for atleast $550 off contract. You'd be lucky to find one off Craigslist or whatever for less than that in good condition.

The iGentleman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
Where are you seeing this? Carriers are offering it off contract for atleast $550 off contract. You'd be lucky to find one off Craigslist or whatever for less than that in good condition.

lol yeah really. Show me where I can get a real GS3 for $350 off contract, and I will order 10 right now, and flip them on craigslist so fast your head would spin.

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX

excuse me not sIII nexus. sorry i dont use android often and got them confused..

https://play.google.com/store/devices/details/Galaxy_Nexus_HSPA?id=galaxy_nexus_hspa&hl=en

still not a "garbage phone"

----------

[/COLOR]
lol yeah really. Show me where I can get a real GS3 for $350 off contract, and I will order 10 right now, and flip them on craigslist so fast your head would spin.

i mean nexus my bad. i dont use android often and got it confused.

https://play.google.com/store/devices/details/Galaxy_Nexus_HSPA?id=galaxy_nexus_hspa&hl=en

still not a "garbage phone"

Last edited:

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
It's very apparent to this day that iOS has much stronger developer support, one of the elements that I believe continues to hold Android back. There are more apps on iOS, more downloads, and it is FAR more lucrative to develop for iOS than Android.

And then you see the ridiculous piracy rates on Android, which only widens the gap. It is a way more involved process to pirate apps on iOS than Android.

Dontazemebro

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2010
I dunno, somewhere in West Texas
What's worse is that some of you actually condone pirating. I don't care if it's android or iOS. Who cares if it's more prevelant on one OS as opposed to the other. It's still wrong.

-1 for the dude trying to justify pirating a $500 app. It's still stealing SMH.

Eddie Bombay

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2011
What's worse is that some of you actually condone pirating. I don't care if it's android or iOS. Who cares if it's more prevelant on one OS as opposed to the other. It's still wrong.

-1 for the dude trying to justify pirating a $500 app. It's still stealing SMH.

Don't taze me bro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.