Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

emacna1

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 31, 2012
I've had my iPhone for a couple weeks now and just used the navigation for the first time. I understand that iOS 6 will improve maps and add turn by turn, but what can I do for now until then?

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
buy tomtom or garmin app, I have both they work great. They don't use data at all since the app is already on the phone. I hear navigon works great too.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I would suggest TomTom or Garmin, both have very good turn-by-turn directions, regular map updates, preloaded maps. These let it work off-line and consistently. You don't need data to be on for directions to work.

JMG

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
I've used navigon in the past and it works quite well. Waze and sigalert for traffic updates.

DodgeV83

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
TomTom is on sale right now, and is by far the best navigation on any mobile device in my opinion. I am still amazed at how it gives me routes that I've never thought of, and no other GPS has brought me, yet get me to my destination significantly faster than ever.

I do think you need to pay for HD Traffic to get the most out of it, however.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.