Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PerryMadz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 30, 2021
UK
Yes, sorry probably yet another "android/iphone" thread. :rolleyes:

Let me digest tho.. Currently in the market for a new phone/experience as android is driving me nuts.

So i have played around with an old iphone on ios12 and for the most part liked it enough to consider the move. However, there is one area i would like some clarification on from actual iphone users or people that have made the switch.

File control: I found on ios12 you had little to zero file control when browsing your files. Even down to to the fact of downloading event tickets (PDF) from email and not being able to locate them!

Now my understanding from ios13 you can plug in expanable drives and backup your files when needed. Is this true and are there any limitations? Ie can you actually access files to backup, lets say downloaded content? Films/photos/pdfs

Also, with files can you actually run them from the Files app? Ie click on a film and it will launch a video player?

Another linked question would be can you plug in say an SD card and use it as expandable storage ie you can store files on it (not apps, just music/films etc) and run them from the drive directly?

Sorry for the daft questions, any guidance is greatly appreciated though. 😀

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
The SD card and USB accessories available for iOS don't allow storing anything but photos and videos.
Yes the Files App (which used to be called iCloud Drive) is your interface to the files you've stored on the iCloud server. You can open just about any "normal" file and view it. Photos, movies, PDFs etc. You can also send it somewhere else using the Share button.
When you download a file from the Internet and want to save it (PDF for example) you'll be given a prompt asking you what you want to do with it. Pay attention to where you're saving it.
Clicking on a PDF link on a website will open the PDF so you can view it immediately, but it hasn't been saved. You've got to save it somewhere using the Share Button otherwise when you close the window it'll be gone.

Yes iOS is much more confining and claustrophobic than Android but that's what helps make it more secure. Yes it's limitations are frustrating at times.
A few years ago iOS didn't have the Files App interface and dealing with files (moving them around) was hell. It was a miserable experience. Today though it's not so bad. Definitely not great but no longer horrible either.

PerryMadz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 30, 2021
UK
Thank you for the reply now i see it.

When you download files, can you choose to store on the device instead of iCloud? And as a user can you select which files/folders automatically get uploaded to iCloud?

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Yes, saving option menu pops up and there's several options how to save it.
One option is save on phone.
You can save it (open in) to one of your compatible apps too if it's the right kind of file for that app.
Files App kinda is an organizer for other app data too. Instead of having to open each app individually to access it's data, the Files App will show all Apps that link to the Files App so everything is searchable in one spot.

Each app that uses iCloud uses it as an option. You don't have to use iCloud with any 3rd party app if you don't want to.

Reactions: PerryMadz

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
You can save or get just about anything off anything with iOS these days. Big issue is can iOS or the app(s) you have installed use them.

I've connected HDDs, SSDs, and thumb drives in the past. Example I just whipped together: one Excel document, one LibreOffice, and a zip file of the two. Using this Apple connector, was able to copy the zip file to "On My iPhone" Downloads folder. And then move the two spreadsheets together there as well.

In the case of the Excel file, can open it in iOS Office and save the changes back to the thumb drive.

Attachments

• IMG_0959.jpg
    IMG_0959.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0960.jpg
    IMG_0960.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_0961.jpg
    IMG_0961.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_0964.jpg
    IMG_0964.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0965.jpg
    IMG_0965.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_0966.jpg
    IMG_0966.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 77
Reactions: PerryMadz

PerryMadz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 30, 2021
UK
Some fantastic replies here. Thank you very much for all the information. :cool:

One final question, can you create and manage your folders? I seem to remember I could only put files in folders that already existed.

I have been looking at the various iPhones and as I am coming from a Samsung S10+ (6.4' screen) I believe the iPhone 12 Pro would be the one for me. The Max seems huge at a 6.7' screen (i think my old Nexus 6 was the same, unusable 1handed), plus I have to factor in the monthly cost as I would be going for a 256GB model. (These phones are not cheap!) ;)

Shall wait until after the 14th to decide in case we get a price crash with the iPhone 13 announcement. (Here is hoping!!)

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
You can pretty much make folders anywhere within the Files app. And any other apps that support folders (will need to do that via the app in question). But can't have something like a "Documents" folder just sitting out there for everything, as all data is siloed in apps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.