Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mbell1975

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 17, 2012
I am pretty familiar with iOS having owned all 3 iPads but I am new to the iPhone. A few things I am wondering if I can do or if an app will do it. First would be calling a contact I am messaging. On my Android phones when I was looking at texts with someone, I could just press a phone symbol and it would call them. On the iPhone, do I have to back out of a conversation, go into my contacts and then call them? Second would be a smart dialer. One where my contacts would show as I started to type their name on the keypad. Anything like this for iPhone? Next would be a way to add a contact that has texted you. I can't seem to find a way to add them as a contact while looking at their text. Thanks

pooleman

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
When messaging someone on the top of the page is "Contact Info" button. Click on that and all the info for the person you are texting is there with the phone numbers right there. Touch the number and the iPhone places the call.

Also, if you get a text from someone who is not in your contacts list there will be a little blue arrow next to the message. TOuch that and you will have the option to either "Create a new Contact" or "Add to contact". Add to contact lets you add and unfamiliar number to an already existing contact.

mbell1975

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 17, 2012
When messaging someone on the top of the page is "Contact Info" button. Click on that and all the info for the person you are texting is there with the phone numbers right there. Touch the number and the iPhone places the call.

Also, if you get a text from someone who is not in your contacts list there will be a little blue arrow next to the message. TOuch that and you will have the option to either "Create a new Contact" or "Add to contact". Add to contact lets you add and unfamiliar number to an already existing contact.

Thank you. Kind of sucks you have to scroll back up to the top of the messages to have an option to call them but it will do, thanks

AlexJaye

Suspended
Jul 13, 2010
Thank you. Kind of sucks you have to scroll back up to the top of the messages to have an option to call them but it will do, thanks

You don't have to manually scroll, just press the top menu bar around where the current time is displayed, and the iPhone does it for you.

mbell1975

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 17, 2012
Yea, the iPad does that while on websites. Guess I should have tried in on the iPhone, thanks

mbell1975

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 17, 2012
I downloaded and tried both Dialvetica and Buzz. Unfortunately neither seem to allow you to add a new contact from a number you have dialed on the keypad, unless I am missing something?

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I downloaded and tried both Dialvetica and Buzz. Unfortunately neither seem to allow you to add a new contact from a number you have dialed on the keypad, unless I am missing something?

Dialvetica is meant to replace the phone app, not the Contact app. You should still use Contacts for managing contacts and just use Dialvetica to dial.

I don't know anything about Buzz.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Works for any scrolling page/app actually.

Hot damn! Just tried in it tapatalk and what do you know. This is actually a pretty big deal for me cause I've always been scrolling by hand. In apps like tapatalk or safari that's a pita.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.