Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jibbajabba

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 13, 2011
iOS forums, alternative forums, doesn't matter. As soon as someone drops < insert random competitor here>in a sentence, the thread turns into the same old Android vs. iOS debate, or Windows vs. the rest, or whatnot. Some threads start off with a decent conversation and then you are getting 100/200 or more posts of nonsense.

Aren't you guys getting tired of it at SOME point?

RetepNamenots

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2009
iOS forums, alternative forums, doesn't matter. As soon as someone drops < insert random competitor here>in a sentence, the thread turns into the same old Android vs. iOS debate, or Windows vs. the rest, or whatnot. Some threads start off with a decent conversation and then you are getting 100/200 or more posts of nonsense.

Says the guy who has started yet another pointless thread.

chagla

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2008
NO!
i love watching keyboard warriors fighting over their beloved gadgets. :D

cuzo

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2012
It is pretty lame stocking up for a phone lol. Both platforms have pros and cons to me, just a phone... That's it.

Peterg2

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I don't think this is a pointless thread at all.

I fully appreciate that this site caters to a broad range of users, some very young and some a lot older.

Several more mature posters have stated on countless occasions that there is no *best* OS or *best* phone. It really depends on the user, his/her requirements.

A sizeable minority here seemingly cannot appreciate that what is "great" to them is somewhat less so to others. However, they will not leave it at that. I don't know whether a few people here have no fulfilling relationships in the real world and thus feel impelled to elevate their devices to the status of a family member or a loved one.

Or simply, they are so insecure, that they practice an egregious form of purchase validation.

cnev3

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2012
Both platforms have their unique things that they do well, and certain people have more appreciation for certain things.

The entertainment is in arguing with the ignorant fanboys and haters who believe one platform is totally superior, and that the other is useless. Those are the people who haven't tried both, and are trying to convince themselves that they made the right decision.

robanga

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2007
Oregon
I'm really only tired of the one winner and everyone else is doomed mentality. I like choice and want a lot of companies to succeed.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009

And what subject can you bring up that doesn't have conflicting opinions? I'll be dead before you can answer that one.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
I'm really only tired of the one winner and everyone else is doomed mentality. I like choice and want a lot of companies to succeed.

I don't think anyone is saying Apple is doomed. Just that in terms of innovation and functionality ios is behind android. but some people don't take it too well when you say apple is playing catch up and not ahead of others.

robanga

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2007
Oregon
I don't think anyone is saying Apple is doomed. Just that in terms of innovation and functionality ios is behind android. but some people don't take it too well when you say apple is playing catch up and not ahead of others.

I seem to hear it a lot in some form or another. Microsoft is doomed, Apple is going down, Android has peaked etc. etc. Even the media buys into and runs inflammatory headlines.

I agree with you in that Android is ahead in many ways, part of it is the nature of the beast (or droid) there are so many OEMs and even though only two of them make profits, they have spurred one another on and provided a huge amount of consumer choice.

But as you said, its a leapfrog thing and a very long horizon.

I really enjoy my Android phone, my iPhone and this last week i built a Windows 8 Gaming PC for my son. Its all good and getting better.

It is a beautyfull thing that we have free will (or at least believe we have) and we have a range of different products and configurations.
I sure one is better than the other for "YOU", I only get bored, tired, and a urge to find another place to be, when people try to convince others that what they have, think or do is the best in the world.
Thank you for opening this thread I believe most of those who we would benefit the most from reading it, will either not read it or... don't understand it :)

Trolls and those who feed them are equally in it, only one way to get out and that is to elevate yourself above it, I'm told we change the world one person at the time, I think I start with me :)

Thank you for reading my post, and your contribution to this forum :)
Timothy

Coolcafe
http://www.cafekaffe.dk

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
I'll tell you what I am getting tired of...

Seeing threads that compare two things that aren't at all the same thing.

Android is software. It is made for many different kinds of hardware, mostly phones but also other devices. It is used by dozens of manufacturers. It is open and more or less free to use by anyone who wants to use it.

Apple is an entire company. They make hardware, software, accessories, etc. Most of Apple's money comes from iPods, iPhones, and iPads.

So how exactly can you even say "Android vs. Apple"? Maybe Android vs. iOS would have made sense. Or HTC Once vs. iPhone 5. Something like that.

Your thread title is kind of like saying "The toaster vs. my car stereo- who will win?!"

beaniemyman

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2013
actually, i love to see these awesome arguments, geeks arguing about their favorite phone and making their opponents product look like the worst thing on the planet. i love 'em! at least, i'm never getting tired of the android vs apple argument.

kerrikins

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
I like seeing intelligent debate over the two systems and the upsides and downsides - I am an iOS fan myself, of course, though I respect the Android phones and what they've brought to the market. I get irritated when people come out with the 'Apple is doomed!!!1!' attitudes or the 'one phone company to rule them all' stuff, because competition is good and I don't want the 'competition' to boil down to a bunch of different companies all using Android. I don't quite get the satisfaction that some people seem to take in the idea of one side or the other failing (I didn't want RIM to fail, either) - Microsoft being dominant wasn't good for the computing industry, and I feel the same way about phones. Apple can lose a bit of it's dominance without being doomed to bankruptcy. :p

Jibbajabba

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 13, 2011
And what subject can you bring up that doesn't have conflicting opinions? I'll be dead before you can answer that one.

Subject 1: Petrol / Gas prices are too high / higher than 5 years ago.

Subject 2: More people are now living in poverty and require more food banks to survive

Shall I go on ?

R.I.P my friend.....

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
Yes, I am getting very tired of it all.

Not too long ago I expressed my opinion about how I like the way a specific mobile OS handles scrolling. Within minutes people started bombarding me with rants about completely unrelated topics. You can't post your opinion around here without people getting butt hurt.

technowar

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2011
Cebu, Philippines

Subject 2: More people are now living in poverty and require more food banks to survive

Shall I go on ?

R.I.P my friend.....

Roflmao nailed it.

You don't want to go competing with Android fans because they really want to win the competition so bad, in which they are only the competitors.

But seriously, you nailed it. Good laugh man!

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire

Shall I go on ?

R.I.P my friend.....

Nice one, gave me a good laugh..........:)

And then I thought about it.........

I wonder if the petrol companies or oil producers would agree that the prices were too high, and number 2 is really a fact rather than an opinion...:D

I'm not arguing, because, like you I have been racking my brain trying to come up with an opinion that doesnt have two sides to it. :)

Nice one though, I thought you had it....:)

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009

Shall I go on ?

R.I.P my friend.....

Wow .... You stated two facts(subjects). Hope you didn't hurt yourself finding them. So your actually saying people don't have conflicting opinions about it? Did you even understand my quote? :rolleyes:

SprSynJn

Sep 15, 2011
Japan

What this gentleman said. Also, comments like "this company is playing catch-up" and so on. Really do nothing to help the conversation but fuel egos.

Prototypical

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2011
Nebraska
You don't want to go competing with Android fans because they really want to win the competition so bad, in which they are only the competitors.

This, x1000. I realize and agree that iOS fans can be obnoxious at times, but it seems like Android fans have an inferiority complex that compels them to think "MUST WIN AT ALL COSTS... APPLE MUST BE DEFEATED!!!"

Android as an OS is dominating iOS in sales. Yet most Apple-focused tech article comment sections are rife with Android fanatics calling for Apple's demise and Android-powered phones in the pocket of every human being. It's kind of ironic, given that their rally cry is usually "Android lets you choose! Be your own person!"

I don't get it. Each OS has its own strengths and weaknesses, just like the people who own them. Is it that hard to understand?

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
but it seems like Android fans have an inferiority complex that compels them to think "MUST WIN AT ALL COSTS... APPLE MUST BE DEFEATED!!!"

I think this better describes ifans. do a functionality point count and it is clear that android has more. but many ifans keep disputing this. saying things like s4 gestured/motion based functions are just gimmicks and then touting the parallax wallpaper as something very innovative and useful clearly shows who wants to win at all costs.

all android fans need to do is just simply state the fact that android has these functions but iOS doesn't. there is no need to crack our head to come with such excuses like "gimmicky" or "I don't need it so it is useless" or "closed and proprietary is better because it easier to use"

technowar

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2011
Cebu, Philippines
I think this better describes ifans. do a functionality point count and it is clear that android has more. but many ifans keep disputing this. saying things like s4 gestured/motion based functions are just gimmicks and then touting the parallax wallpaper as something very innovative and useful clearly shows who wants to win at all costs.

all android fans need to do is just simply state the fact that android has these functions but iOS doesn't. there is no need to crack our head to come with such excuses like "gimmicky" or "I don't need it so it is useless" or "closed and proprietary is better because it easier to use"

Well, the sub-forum speaks otherwise.

Peterg2

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2008
Montreal, Canada

What is this nonsense? Strategy planning in iOS/Android wars? This is ridiculous.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
After some 30 years of hearing these comparisons I am well versed in ignoring it all.

IBM, Microsoft, Android... it doesn't matter who the company is but Apple will always be amidst some petty fanboy arguments. Just tune it out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.