Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Giuanniello

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 21, 2012
Capri - Italy
I am trying to fix and upgrade an old 2012 MBAir to give to a friend who uses an Android phone and am trying to figure it out if there is a way for the two to talk to each other:

- phonebook synch from phone to computer (and viceversa)
- synch pictures from Android device to MacOS Photos and backup on Google Foto

can't think of anything else now but the recipient of the MBAir will be a MacOS beginner and now a power user on any of the two platforms so just basic needs and, above all, synch content from mobile to computer to either iCloud or Google Drive space

Any way to achieve these simple tasks?

Grazie

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
Google services will all work on the Macbook since they are all cloud based. The most frustrating thing to me about apple devices and android is not being able to bluetooth files

Last edited:

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Google makes it super easy to use a Mac with an android phone. Some of the things you want to do would require web apps or some automations (for example, there used to be an automator app to easily sync photos across android and macOS. Google drive can interface with Mac no problem, as well.

I think there are some other options I haven't tried, but definitely worth looking into

Giuanniello

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 21, 2012
Capri - Italy
Since I am no big on Google and mostly rely on iCloud services would you point me which apps would do it so I download and install before I give away the computer?

Grazie for your hints

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
I am trying to fix and upgrade an old 2012 MBAir to give to a friend who uses an Android phone and am trying to figure it out if there is a way for the two to talk to each other:

- phonebook synch from phone to computer (and viceversa)
- synch pictures from Android device to MacOS Photos and backup on Google Foto

can't think of anything else now but the recipient of the MBAir will be a MacOS beginner and now a power user on any of the two platforms so just basic needs and, above all, synch content from mobile to computer to either iCloud or Google Drive space

Any way to achieve these simple tasks?

Grazie
Does your friend have a Google account?
If yes, then it's easy. No need to install any extra software as macOS can sync email and contacts easily with GMail.

Follow this guide from Apple to prepare your macbook into a clean slate:

When running Apple Mail for the first time, your friend can simply enter his/her GMail info, and macOS can sync GMail, contacts, and Google calendar directly using macOS' default Mail, Contacts, and Calendar apps.

Have your friend install Google Drive client. That way he/she can sync his/her files with the macbook.

The only limitation is for photos. macOS Photos app doesn't sync with Google Photos. If you friend uses Google Photos, just access it via Safari/web browser.

I believe that's it.
I myself an Android user that also use a mac (2012 mac mini). I sync my Gmail, contacts, and Google calendar with my Android and mac just fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.