Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Someone needs to make an Android phone that doesn't have Google data collection. I'm really interested in what Huawei is doing with their phones. I don't see this as an impossible task.

This is one of the main reasons I wouldn't get an Android phone. Your phone can track everything you do, where you go, how much you spend, who you're dating, what medical conditions you have, where you work, how much you make, etc. This is way more data than I'm willing to give Google.

Reactions: 370zulu

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Someone needs to make an Android phone that doesn't have Google data collection. I'm really interested in what Huawei is doing with their phones. I don't see this as an impossible task.

This is one of the main reasons I wouldn't get an Android phone. Your phone can track everything you do, where you go, how much you spend, who you're dating, what medical conditions you have, where you work, how much you make, etc. This is way more data than I'm willing to give Google.
Google and Apple have a gained a huge lead in the Application store space. Without the Play Store, I just don't see the point in an Android device.

michael9891

Cancelled
Sep 26, 2016
If you're referring to Huawei coming up with their own mobile OS, it's only because they're being forced to do so. What makes you think they're going to handle your data better than Google?

Reactions: jamezr

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Librem 5

Actually since I've been getting a bit bored and underwhelmed with the newer devices, this phone (by purism) has kind of popped up on my radar. There is a twist however and that's it's basically a beta device (I know, most consumer electronics are any more) and it is a Linux phone. It's privacy based.

I'd probably would have ordered one but the time frame to have that amount of cash in limbo to ship is a bit of a bummer.

Grey Area

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2008
Someone needs to make an Android phone that doesn't have Google data collection.

The Fairphone 2 had Android without Google as an option, and the upcoming FP3 is supposed to get this, too, though not right from launch.

The thing is, in practice Google's package of app store, apps and background mobile services have become quite essential, at least to someone who expects their Android phone to be able to do the things that modern smartphones normally can do. You may still be able to get your apps from some alternative app store, or some more or less trustworthy repository. But that is not enough when some app that is critical to you requires Google's services to locate you on the map, process some payments, or check the phone's system integrity for security reasons (as banking apps like to do). There are attempts to create alternative "Google services without Google" (microG), but it is a lot of work, far from complete, and a moving target - you never know what changes, new features and dependencies Google will introduce next.

Someone who opts out of Google on Android needs to be willing to search for workarounds when apps don't work, and to accept that apps can stop working with any update, and that there won't be any help from support. The Fairphone makers stated that only 5% of their customers went that route.

On the bright side, someone who is savvy enough not to be deterred by such prospects is not dependent on manufacturers providing a phone without Google - they can pick any phone that can install LineageOS and leave off Google.

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
Librem 5

Actually since I've been getting a bit bored and underwhelmed with the newer devices, this phone (by purism) has kind of popped up on my radar. There is a twist however and that's it's basically a beta device (I know, most consumer electronics are any more) and it is a Linux phone. It's privacy based.

I'd probably would have ordered one but the time frame to have that amount of cash in limbo to ship is a bit of a bummer.
This is a phone I’ve been following as well. However, I haven’t been able to figure out if it will work on Verizon. I would have likely ordered it already if I knew for sure.

also, as @Grey Area mentioned, there’s LineageOS.

Reactions: russell_314

russell_314

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Google and Apple have a gained a huge lead in the Application store space. Without the Play Store, I just don't see the point in an Android device.
Is there a way to pull apps from the play store while running Android without Google tracking? I mean they're just files so there has to be some way.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Sounds like it is going to be a total hack job. No thanks
Why does a phone have to be any different than a PC. It basically is a touch screen computer. You don't download all your apps from the Microsoft store on Windows and you don't download all your apps from the App store on macOS. There should be an open source phone where if you want an app you go to the website and download it. Google Android phones currently are like a PC with a whole bunch of spyware preinstalled. Now MS Windows 10 is going in that direction but that’s a whole new topic.

Don't get me wrong I love the security and reliability of iOS and its walled garden. I have several Apple products. I just dislike the massive amount of data Google extracts from its customers and sells to whomever. I would like to play with Android without the data collection from Google.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Why does a phone have to be any different than a PC. It basically is a touch screen computer. You don't download all your apps from the Microsoft store on Windows and you don't download all your apps from the App store on macOS. There should be an open source phone where if you want an app you go to the website and download it. Google Android phones currently are like a PC with a whole bunch of spyware preinstalled. Now MS Windows 10 is going in that direction but that’s a whole new topic.

Don't get me wrong I love the security and reliability of iOS and its walled garden. I have several Apple products. I just dislike the massive amount of data Google extracts from its customers and sells to whomever. I would like to play with Android without the data collection from Google.
Ah the Palm Treo days...

LBM4

Suspended
Sep 26, 2019
I will truly never understand this. Every single company that produces software or hardware, harvests your data in some form or fashion. Some do it more than others. For instance, the things Facebook does is truly dystopian!

But even Apple isn't always the saint it can appear to be. You might want to read this and then see if you have any of these apps installed on your iphone.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 10, 2019
USA
I will truly never understand this. Every single company that produces software or hardware, harvests your data in some form or fashion. Some do it more than others. For instance, the things Facebook does is truly dystopian!

But even Apple isn't always the saint it can appear to be. You might want to read this and then see if you have any of these apps installed on your iphone.
Okay you're confusing the OS harvesting data with apps doing this. Apple does not sell data to advertisers.

Yes apps and even Windows apps for the PC have been caught doing this. I'm talking about components of the OS harvesting data so Google can sell it to advertisers.

Reactions: AustinIllini

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
IIRC ASOP is Google free (which is why you have to side load GAPPS). While Play Store is probably a big loss (ask Huawei), I would be more curious to know what apps rely on the Play API (like is it possible to side load Facebook without GAPPS installed?).

russell_314

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 10, 2019
USA
IIRC ASOP is Google free (which is why you have to side load GAPPS). While Play Store is probably a big loss (ask Huawei), I would be more curious to know what apps rely on the Play API (like is it possible to side load Facebook without GAPPS installed?).
I think they should make it where you can download apps from the developer rather than some store controlled by Google. I should be able to go to facebook dot com and download Facebook

slitherjef

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2012
Earth
Wait, so you are not ok with Google collecting your data, but willing to let Facebook do the same (if not potentially worse) data collection!? o_O

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
I think they should make it where you can download apps from the developer rather than some store controlled by Google. I should be able to go to facebook dot com and download Facebook
Then how does Facebook keep that apk up to date (if not mistaken the update process is handled by play store), or even know what version that is compatible with your device to load?

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007

Never gonna happen unless you live in China. Who own the Android platform of apps? Google Play store.
Nobody would buy the Mate 30 outside China, and even if they did, they would side load Google Play.
Look at Amazon and their Fire ecosystem. Their phone failed. Google never make apps outside their own Play store and iOS. Look at Windows Phone, also failed.

Stevie jobz 2.0

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2019

Take the silver hat off fella, no one is looking at your data and thinking, mmm, what's this lad been up to. An algorithm has been sent encrypted data that from ip address xxx.xxx a website was searched for, containing sports shoes etc. An automated marketing ad was sent back. The end... and that's about it, no humans involved, no one cared what you have looked at as long as it's legal. Just robots in the back ground... sending relevant ads. The end... how else do you think you are gonna get YouTube etc for free.... the free services have to be paid for. Just use an ad blocker. Sorted....

russell_314

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Take the silver hat off fella, no one is looking at your data and thinking, mmm, what's this lad been up to. An algorithm has been sent encrypted data that from ip address xxx.xxx a website was searched for, containing sports shoes etc. An automated marketing ad was sent back. The end... and that's about it, no humans involved, no one cared what you have looked at as long as it's legal. Just robots in the back ground... sending relevant ads. The end... how else do you think you are gonna get YouTube etc for free.... the free services have to be paid for. Just use an ad blocker. Sorted....
If you're happy with your data being sold to advertisers in exchange to use a product this is great. This isn't my choice though. I'm not sure where you're going with the ad blocker thing though. If you think an ad blocker has any effect on data collection you have a lot to learn LOL

Stevie jobz 2.0

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2019
If you're happy with your data being sold to advertisers in exchange to use a product this is great. This isn't my choice though. I'm not sure where you're going with the ad blocker thing though. If you think an ad blocker has any effect on data collection you have a lot to learn LOL
No issue in the slightest mate, i havnt got anything to hide when it comes down to my browsing habits...
Read why I mentioned ad blockers again.. nothing to do with data collection...

russell_314

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 10, 2019
USA
No issue in the slightest mate, i havnt got anything to hide when it comes down to my browsing habits...
Read why I mentioned ad blockers again.. nothing to do with data collection...
Sorry you confused me when you brought up ad blockers because this isn't the topic of the thread. Blocking ads is a whole different subject than data collection. Websites will have ads regardless of allowing Android/ Google or anyone to collect your personal data or not.

I'm not trying to say whether having personal data sent to Google is a good or bad thing. That would be up to the individual person. Some people might like the idea while others would not. I was just discussing the option of not having this data collection on an Android phone for those who don't like it.

Reactions: timeconsumer

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Librem 5

It looks cool but kind of too good to be true and then the hardware particularly the camera is not as advanced as I’ve gotten used to. It’s like going back so many generations on an iPhone or Android. And it kind of costs what my current flagships cost after trade in and discounts.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Software and services that these huge know companies offer, have a monopoly on productivity. It's more of a hassle trying to stay off the grid, than it is worrying about information being harbored (which you probably don't even truly care about).

The best way combat it, is to have these companies use privacy as a way to compete. Which seems to be going in a forward direction so far.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.