Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
Original poster
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
There was a number of precursors that lead me to leave iOS fully with no ecocystem ties. Among them wsa in regards to multi-tasking in AndroidOS which I've been a bit lost to getting on with.

After recently switching to Samsung Galaxy S23, now in my second week there wsa a need to multi-task that came to mind but I'm not seeing working.

I have an audio recording, migrated over to voice recorder, in another language that I wish to translate or even transcirbe into text (for which later I'll translate). When I launch the audio reocrder to play back the audio file,, playback works as per iOS when its in the foreground. Switching to Google translate or even to Samsung Notes boom the Voice recorder app stops playback. This occurs with or without my BeatsFit Pro headphones in or not. Sams goes for Youtube playing and when I switch audio playback completely stops, WHY?

Is there a native Google AndroidOS 13 setting I need to adjust or do I need to split screen 2 apps to truely accomplish AndroidOS multi-tasking which I've seen glorified across websites and forums endlessly - wihthout real world examples?

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
I do not have any issues in dual split screen mode with Youtube/Google translate, just use that instead of bleating :)

Unlike music apps that are specifically designed to run in background not all apps have this is all your seeing :rolleyes:

No idea why you have never seen videos of real life examples of split screen

split.jpg

Reactions: DeepIn2U

RedTheReader

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2019
Unlike music apps that are specifically designed to run in background not all apps have this is all your seeing :rolleyes:
I really wish this wasn’t the case. It’s not like this on Windows or Mac or Linux. I always assumed that iOS was just kiddie and Android had the feature, but I was sadly mistaken.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
There was a number of precursors that lead me to leave iOS fully with no ecocystem ties. Among them wsa in regards to multi-tasking in AndroidOS which I've been a bit lost to getting on with.

After recently switching to Samsung Galaxy S23, now in my second week there wsa a need to multi-task that came to mind but I'm not seeing working.

I have an audio recording, migrated over to voice recorder, in another language that I wish to translate or even transcirbe into text (for which later I'll translate). When I launch the audio reocrder to play back the audio file,, playback works as per iOS when its in the foreground. Switching to Google translate or even to Samsung Notes boom the Voice recorder app stops playback. This occurs with or without my BeatsFit Pro headphones in or not. Sams goes for Youtube playing and when I switch audio playback completely stops, WHY?

Is there a native Google AndroidOS 13 setting I need to adjust or do I need to split screen 2 apps to truely accomplish AndroidOS multi-tasking which I've seen glorified across websites and forums endlessly - wihthout real world examples?
Have you tried using Dex?

Generally most of the multi window desktop stuff they show on YouTube is using Dex which is a desktop interface. It allows for much better multi window use like windows PC than Android with just two or three panes.

I would imagine with all the memory in the s23u you should be able to accomplish what you want to do but you need to do it in Dex. I think you may need a monitor and other peripherals.

Just search Dex in Samsung settings. It might make everything work for you???

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
I really wish this wasn’t the case. It’s not like this on Windows or Mac or Linux. I always assumed that iOS was just kiddie and Android had the feature, but I was sadly mistaken.
It's pretty close when you use the Samsung split screen modes and other issues are when the same resource (eg speakers) is trying to be used with 2 or more apps at the same time

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
Original poster
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Have you tried using Dex?

Generally most of the multi window desktop stuff they show on YouTube is using Dex which is a desktop interface. It allows for much better multi window use like windows PC than Android with just two or three panes.

I would imagine with all the memory in the s23u you should be able to accomplish what you want to do but you need to do it in Dex. I think you may need a monitor and other peripherals.

Just search Dex in Samsung settings. It might make everything work for you???
Yes a resounding YES the past 1.5wks I’ve been using Dex with the S23 up to 1 day before iPhone 15 Pro announcement.

Dex is NOT a desktop like environment. From my experience it’s a Desktop layout NOT an experience nor environment.

All the same apps on the AndroidOS phone run the EXACT SAME way on Dex - especially Chrome browser!! First hand 7hrs a day use myself. I’d say only Samsungs browser runs like a desktop browser. Chrome is the exact same on The galaxies as it is on iPhone which is disappointing to me. Same UI same functionality absolutely NOTHING different. Yes I’ve uninstalled rebooted and re-installed there is no difference at all.

Garbage.

A desktop environment in Dex is when it last had Linux full support or even the very last developer beta support from Samsung. Notice how Samsung hasn’t said a single word of it during their Fold announcement!?

Any running apps on the phone needs to be “restarted” when you launch in Dex - the high majority at least!

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Yes a resounding YES the past 1.5wks I’ve been using Dex with the S23 up to 1 day before iPhone 15 Pro announcement.

Dex is NOT a desktop like environment. From my experience it’s a Desktop layout NOT an experience nor environment.

All the same apps on the AndroidOS phone run the EXACT SAME way on Dex - especially Chrome browser!! First hand 7hrs a day use myself. I’d say only Samsungs browser runs like a desktop browser. Chrome is the exact same on The galaxies as it is on iPhone which is disappointing to me. Same UI same functionality absolutely NOTHING different. Yes I’ve uninstalled rebooted and re-installed there is no difference at all.

Garbage.

A desktop environment in Dex is when it last had Linux full support or even the very last developer beta support from Samsung. Notice how Samsung hasn’t said a single word of it during their Fold announcement!?

Any running apps on the phone needs to be “restarted” when you launch in Dex - the high majority at least!
You will not see a real desktop environment in Android. That is what ChromeOS is for. DEX is a stop gap between the two. It offers better multi window functionality than normal Android. It provides a desktop layout that can be more productive if you use a keyboard and mouse.

What you are asking is outside of what normal Android can offer. Samsung can't use desktop Chrome in Dex because you are still running Android.

Dex is not designed to be a complete desktop replacement although some people do use it as such. It is meant to get you through a spot where you need to be productive and don't have access to a laptop or tablet. For those use cases it works very well.

At some point maybe Google will let full desktop Chrome run on certain devices they feel can provide a decent experience in Android. However, it is against Google's own business model of selling Chromebooks to change anything in Android as it is.

It is not like iPad is any different. iPad Pro with all the bells and whistles costs a pretty few pennies and yet it runs mobile Safari.

Try using Stage Manager on an iPhone? You can do that right?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.