Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Denzo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2009
Australia
Don’t worry guys, there’s no charger with the iPhone. They’re actually really great guys. And they’re probably making a profit off $2000 iPhones. Hope Tim Cook gets enough of a bonus this year.

Reactions: h.gilbert and JM

Vlad Soare

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2019
Bucharest, Romania
If they start caring about human rights and paying Chinese workers Western wages and benefits, then they might as well move their entire production back to the US and be done with it.
I'm sure those "slaves" would be happier. Jobless, but happier.

indychris

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010
Fort Wayne, IN
Enough is enough. Apple needs to put their money where their mouth is and perform like they care about human rights and privacy, not just in some cute little ad or one liner.

🤣 For a minute there I thought you were serious, then I came to my senses and realized you obviously know who Tim Cook is. Great schtick!

Apple’s mouth is where the money is!

Reactions: bwillwall

DelayedGratificationGene

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2020
I may be wrong here, but I read this as more of a China specific issue - namely, due to COVID lockdowns, the conditions and rights the workers were used to are no longer being met, which is what is causing the protests and outrage.

Everything in the article points to this being a China issue as opposed to an Apple issue - clashing with police, hazmat suits, and closed dining areas.

The fact that it's happening at an iPhone factory is like pouring gasoline on a fire from a media perspective.

If I am wrong and this is an Apple caused issue, I am open to being educated. But please, be polite and bring
Where’s your humanity, morality, and ethics?
Lol you’re funny wiidsmoker go light up another one…did Tim once scold you for not doing your job and now you’re an apple hater?

tdar

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2003
Johns Creek Ga.
I am afraid that it’s time for Apple to leave China. Maybe not as a country that they sell in but at least as one that they manufacture in. First, it’s clear that China is not allowing Apple to meet their very high human rights standards. Apple must put people over sales. Second, it is not working. They are not able to receive the quantity, and I would say quality, of iPhones that they need. Look I understand that everyone would love for Apple to make them in the United States. That’s not going to happen. Not without an automated factory somewhere. But there are plenty of other nations that would be happy and thrilled to take over the role of manufacturing the Apple products.
But as you are concentrating this, please remember that it is not just about the final assembly part. They also have to solve the parts manufacturing problems. Leaving China is a very difficult and expensive process, but I believe that it has become clear that it is time for Apple to make the right decision. Both for workers and for their customers. I also believe that it is the right decision for them.

Last edited:

falkon-engine

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2010
If these allegations are true then apple needs to step in and discipline Foxconn. These workers deserve to be treated with respect dignity and honor. If the contract calls for a higher subsidy, to mitigate the Covid-induced conditions, then pay the people. Feed the people.

Reactions: sorgo †

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
I noticed Tim Cook keeps thumbing down posts in this thread from persons who empathize with the workers. It’s sad that people have to go through all this for something as basic as food. Apple has at least over 200 billion in hard cold cash. At least pay them, geez. I keep telling you all, Apple’s humanity and liberal arts stuff is just pure veneer.

2023 might actually be a year of unraveling for Apple. It’s too bad, because I have a lot of money invested in them, but I don’t want to associate with them on this level. Treat these people who are vital to your business success better. Todd and Cindy at the space ship in Cupertino walking around in a circle is not gonna do that.

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
Apple, the company that sets the standard of how to treat employees well, according to Apple. Yes, they are employees, just because FoxConn is in the middle does not excuse anything.

Quite sad that so many of you joke about the clearly poor treatment of workers.

SoldOnApple

macrumors 65816
Jul 20, 2011
Foxconn should have seen this coming and prepared for their factories to have luxury accomodation available for lockdowns, and warned their employees that it could be legally necessary to use it at some point. Or they could also have prepared ages ago an agreement with local Party government to have a plan for what to do when this happens, put a plan in place.

EastHillWill

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2020
Boise, ID
Enough is enough. Apple needs to put their money where their mouth is and perform like they care about human rights and privacy, not just in some cute little ad or one liner.
Seriously. I’m trying to imagine myself or my family working in those conditions—it’s awful. And for what? So Apple can make even more ludicrous amounts of money, and I can replace the perfectly good iPhone I bought the year prior? If Apple doesn’t start ‘voting with their dollars’ then I will. You’d hope it wouldn’t come to that with a company that talks the talk like Apple does, but the reality speaks for itself. And in the worst case scenario, the world doesn’t need an iPhone 14 Pro this holiday season, and certainly not at the expense of exploiting people.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.