Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

michaelmm4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2020
Hi, last month bought a base model 16". Updated to 10.15.5 right away. I upgraded from a 2015 MBA. Tiny things bother me such as:

- When I have Safer in fullscreen mode on my favorites page, and I slide to it from Desktop, there is clear animation lag in that transition.

This happens so some other things too. I have spent lots of places looking for answers. Ran all sorts of diagnostics, spoke to Apple, Amazon (bought it there). Nothing. No issues found. I am starting to believe this is a software issue in macOS since other friends of mine experience similar issues. Obviously having the luxury of a AMD GPU, when enabling that to be used, no such lags are to be seen. But I just don't understand for a $2,000 laptop to have such silly issues that unfortunately, piss me off. Anyone experience this? Hoping Big Sur to fix this issue.
[automerge]1594591427[/automerge]
If you can see the lag when Safari is in favorites tab only for example. Has me to believe it has to do with poor animation/GPU optimization.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Video 2020-07-12 at 5.02.35 PM.mp4
    2.9 MB · Views: 89

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
Hi, last month bought a base model 16". Updated to 10.15.5 right away. I upgraded from a 2015 MBA. Tiny things bother me such as:

- When I have Safer in fullscreen mode on my favorites page, and I slide to it from Desktop, there is clear animation lag in that transition.

This happens so some other things too. I have spent lots of places looking for answers. Ran all sorts of diagnostics, spoke to Apple, Amazon (bought it there). Nothing. No issues found. I am starting to believe this is a software issue in macOS since other friends of mine experience similar issues. Obviously having the luxury of a AMD GPU, when enabling that to be used, no such lags are to be seen. But I just don't understand for a $2,000 laptop to have such silly issues that unfortunately, piss me off. Anyone experience this? Hoping Big Sur to fix this issue.
[automerge]1594591427[/automerge]
If you can see the lag when Safari is in favorites tab only for example. Has me to believe it has to do with poor animation/GPU optimization.
Its either Apple’s drivers for the crappy Intel 630 iGPU or the poor performance of the iGPU itself. Unfortunately it’s essentially the same performance as the 5 year old Intel 530 iGPU which was already a downgrade vs. The iris pro iGPU found in the 2015 MBP 15 that preceded the touch bar MacBook 15.

My 2020 MBP 13 with the first real upgraded iGPU since sky lake is smoother than my mbp 16. Of course, turning on the AMD GPU makes it smoother. The smoothest scrolling I get is when I plug in an eGPU with a 5700XT which is overkill but at least it’s smooth in gmail and resource heavy websites.

SirJohn871

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2019
I also have this same issue on a 2020 i7 13 inch MBP with 16gb of ram. Also saw same thing on a 2020 i7 MBA. Was better on 10.15.4, worse on 10.15.5

I see animation lag with many animations that is worse after a short period of inactivity. Mainly with scrolling (safari, office documents) and mission control. The GPU and CPU never spike. Very frustrating. My wifes 2015 MBA on high sierra has zero lag.

I can also confirm that the stuttering animations appear to be significantly improved when not using gestures with “inertia”. Meaning, when I scroll without “flicking”, I don't really see any issues. Moreover, I notice a significant improvement when I disable two finger secondary click on the trackpad, leading me to believe there is an issue with the touchpad driver that hasn't been fixed.

I really hope its patched in Big Sur.

michaelmm4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2020
Its either Apple’s drivers for the crappy Intel 630 iGPU or the poor performance of the iGPU itself. Unfortunately it’s essentially the same performance as the 5 year old Intel 530 iGPU which was already a downgrade vs. The iris pro iGPU found in the 2015 MBP 15 that preceded the touch bar MacBook 15.

My 2020 MBP 13 with the first real upgraded iGPU since sky lake is smoother than my mbp 16. Of course, turning on the AMD GPU makes it smoother. The smoothest scrolling I get is when I plug in an eGPU with a 5700XT which is overkill but at least it’s smooth in gmail and resource heavy websites.

I am just worried this is a hardware issue that I need to address. Otherwise if this is software, all I can do is wait. Sucks. I got beta Big Sur on my 2015 MBA, things seem snappier and smoother.
[automerge]1594656019[/automerge]

I am just worried this is a hardware issue that I need to address. Otherwise if this is software, all I can do is wait. Sucks. I got beta Big Sur on my 2015 MBA, things seem snappier and smoother.

michaelmm4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2020
I also have this same issue on a 2020 i7 13 inch MBP with 16gb of ram. Also saw same thing on a 2020 i7 MBA. Was better on 10.15.4, worse on 10.15.5

I see animation lag with many animations that is worse after a short period of inactivity. Mainly with scrolling (safari, office documents) and mission control. The GPU and CPU never spike. Very frustrating. My wifes 2015 MBA on high sierra has zero lag.

I can also confirm that the stuttering animations appear to be significantly improved when not using gestures with “inertia”. Meaning, when I scroll without “flicking”, I don't really see any issues. Moreover, I notice a significant improvement when I disable two finger secondary click on the trackpad, leading me to believe there is an issue with the touchpad driver that hasn't been fixed.

I really hope its patched in Big Sur.

I feel like Catalina has been nothing but buggy. Can't wait for Big Sur to hopefully clear this up. Just doesn't make sense how can a $2,400+ laptop have such bad optimization.

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
[automerge]1594656019[/automerge]

The problem is Apple has had 4 years to fix this as the 2016 MBP 15 has essentially the same iGPU and my partner's 2017 MBP 15 which has the same iGPU as the MBP 16 is also laggy as hell unless we turn on the AMD GPU.

In reality it's probably not even Apple's fault as Intel has pretty much been mailing it in when it comes to their GPU's. Tiger Lake is supposed to fix this, but we'll be on ARM MBP 16 by the time the 45 watt tiger lake comes out.

michaelmm4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2020
The problem is Apple has had 4 years to fix this as the 2016 MBP 15 has essentially the same iGPU and my partner's 2017 MBP 15 which has the same iGPU as the MBP 16 is also laggy as hell unless we turn on the AMD GPU.

It's annoying as hell to see this. I did submit a bug fix request to Apple, waste of time but still. I think Big Sur will solve this issue for us.

Reactions: magbarn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.