Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

waigx

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 21, 2014
Ironically, it doesn't require TrueDepth camera to track the facial muscles, at least it doesn't require TrueDepth Camera in iOS 11.1. Simply try these two experiments:

1. Block the TrueDepth Camera lens, only expose the FaceTime Camera: it works fine;
2. Turn off the light, it won't work (TrueDepth Camera have it's own infrared source)

Guess this feature only utilizes some neural network algorithms and the A11 chip. It should be able to port on iPhone 8, which have the same A11 chip.

--
Update:

It's okay to have this exclusive on iPhone X. But they shouldn't give people an impression that such limitation is because of the hardware: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208190

Screen Shot 2017-11-08 at 01.23.37.png

Last edited:

Vermifuge

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009
Ironically, it doesn't require TrueDepth camera to track the facial muscles, at least it doesn't require TrueDepth Camera in iOS 11.1. Simply try these two experiments:

1. Block the TrueDepth Camera lens, only expose the FaceTime Camera: it works fine;
2. Turn off the light, it won't work (TrueDepth Camera have it's own infrared source)

Guess this feature only utilizes some neural network algorithms and the A11 chip. It should be able to port on iPhone 8, which also have the same hardware.

Should™ but you know Apple. it will likely remain X exclusive

mazdamiata210

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2014
I said the same thing about portrait mode when they announced it for the 7+. It can be done with software, you don't need 2 lenses... Now look at the pixel 2 doing it with software on the front camera better than the iPhone rear camera.

Vermifuge

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009
Yeah, but they shouldn't let people feel this is a hardware limitation - which they explicitly stated on the support page: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208190

They didn't. They just said it uses the TrueDepth camera. "TrueDepth camera" is just branding for the X's front facing camera. Just like on the 8 the front facing camera is branded a "FaceTime HD camera"
[doublepost=1510123447][/doublepost]
I said the same thing about portrait mode when they announced it for the 7+. It can be done with software, you don't need 2 lenses... Now look at the pixel 2 doing it with software on the front camera better than the iPhone rear camera.

But the Pixel 2 relies on face detection for the front facing camera. It is a pretty rudimentary process and the results are not as great as you suggest.

Last edited:
Reactions: waigx

waigx

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 21, 2014
They didn't. They just said it uses the FaceTime HD camera. "TrueDepth camera" camera is just branding for the X's front facing camera. Just like on the 8 the front facing is branded a "FaceTime HD camera"

That's a good point. Apple uses `TrueDepth Camera` as an Umbrella term... but still making me feel be deceived
[doublepost=1510123848][/doublepost]

I don't have a 7+ so unfortunately cannot test it in person. Just tested iPhone X, it seems that it is using both lens to do the portrait mode. (I covered one and it said "Move farther away")

mazdamiata210

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2014
That's a good point. Apple uses `TrueDepth Camera` as an Umbrella term... but still making me feel be deceived
[doublepost=1510123848][/doublepost]

I don't have a 7+ so unfortunately cannot test it in person. Just tested iPhone X, it seems that it is using both lens to do the portrait mode. (I covered one and it said "Move farther away")

I tested the front and rear camera's portrait mode in all different lighting conditions and it didn't do a very good job to me. I saw some of the pixel 2 shots and I was impressed.

waigx

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 21, 2014
I tested the front and rear camera's portrait mode in all different lighting conditions and it didn't do a very good job to me. I saw some of the pixel 2 shots and I was impressed.
Agreed, especially when you have a closer look to the edges. Not sure if I am qualified to say that, but after reading some reviews I think pixel 2 isn't that good either, probably even worse than iPhone:

https://www.dxomark.com/google-pixel-2-reviewed-sets-new-record-smartphone-camera-quality/
https://cdn.dxomark.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/ref2_Bokeh-Outdoor_GooglePixel2.jpg

PeLaNo

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2017
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.